Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Usage of online services in your family ?

For those of you who are living together with a spouse or kids, I'd like to understand a bit better how you would like to use premium online streaming services. Ignore what's supported in LMS and Squeezebox today and instead think about how you would like it to work in the future.

One limitation I still want to apply is that with one online streaming account you will still only be able to stream a single song to one device or to multiple devices synchronized, basically no possibility to play different songs to different devices simultaneously as this usually is prohibited by the streaming providers and won't change in the future.

The questions I'm wondering about is related to if you have separate premium streaming service account for each family member or if you are using one account for the whole family.

If you have separate accounts, is the main purpose of that to be able to stream simultaneously or is it mainly to be able to keep track of individual favorites and playlists ?

If you have separate accounts, do you feel it would be important to be able to listen to the music from one of the account on all player devices in the house ?

If you have separate accounts, do you have accounts from different streaming providers or does all family member use the same streaming provider ?

If you have a single account for the whole family, are you severely missing the ability to keep track of individual playlists or favorites for each family member ?

Do you have any ideas how you would like online streaming services to work on your Squeezebox and portable devices from a family perspective ? How would your dream system handle it ?

I'll post a separate thread for local music, so don't use this thread to say that you don't use online services.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    One limitation I still want to apply is that with one online streaming account you will still only be able to stream a single song to one device or to multiple devices synchronized, basically no possibility to play different songs to different devices simultaneously as this usually is prohibited by the streaming providers and won't change in the future.
    I confess I've never tried, but I'm surprised this is disallowed - at least if they're all coming from the same public IP address.

The questions I'm wondering about is related to if you have separate premium streaming service account for each family member or if you are using one account for the whole family.
    One account for all.

If you have a single account for the whole family, are you severely missing the ability to keep track of individual playlists or favorites for each family member ?
    Not severely, but to some degree. I ask them not to "Add to Library" and for them to use it purely as an ad-hoc listening service (I use the library... I'm excluded from my own rule on the basis I pay for it). It doesn't always work - I sometimes see One Direction and similar appearing in the library.

Do you have any ideas how you would like online streaming services to work on your Squeezebox and portable devices from a family perspective ? How would your dream system handle it ?
    First and foremost, I want our new Community-SB devices to support them! Non-SB players can't access Rhapsody UK (Napster) and I suspect we'll be in a similar position with the Community-SB for the time being. Beyond that, allowing different users to have different libraries would be nice as, when my kids get older, they're more likely to demand such a feature. I think that's the answer you were looking for. ;-)
    Family Room: Receiver; Kitchen: Boom; Garden: Classic; Bedroom: Boom; Anywhere: Controller, SqueezeCommander, Android SqueezePlayer
    last.fm

For those of you who are living together with a spouse or kids, I'd like to understand a bit better how you would like to use premium online streaming services. Ignore what's supported in LMS and Squeezebox today and instead think about how you would like it to work in the future.

If you have separate accounts, is the main purpose of that to be able to stream simultaneously or is it mainly to be able to keep track of individual favorites and playlists ?

If you have separate accounts, do you feel it would be important to be able to listen to the music from one of the account on all player devices in the house ?

If you have separate accounts, do you have accounts from different streaming providers or does all family member use the same streaming provider ?

I'll post a separate thread for local music, so don't use this thread to say that you don't use online services.
    1. Both.
    2. Yes.
    3. The same.
    4. Yes.
    5. Be able to select account per device.
    SB Touch to Yamaha A-S501, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro C5.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

We have single account (MOG, free Pandora).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

We use slacker, pandora, and rhapsody. Rhapsody is the only premium service we use.

On a regular basis, different squeezeboxes are streaming different content from Rhapsody. If that capability was lost, I'd drop rhapsody.

1-3 don't apply since we have a single account.
    4 - Yes, it would be great to be able to track playlists and libraries on a per user basis. Though I'll gladly suffer this rather than pay for separate accounts.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

We use Rhapsody and Pandora ONE. Single accounts for the family, although it's possible that will change as the kids get older. Rhapsody's current offering of "family plans" is severely limiting and stupid.

Currently I'm the only one in the family who really plays with maintaining a library, favorites, playlist, etc., so none of that has been a problem. Again, this may change as the kids get older. It would be nice if I could quarantine the kid music within my Rhapsody library, but Rhapsody's library management tools are already very weak. (Orphaned albums being the most pesky annoyance - stuff that was available at one itme, but is no longer for whatever reaon.) And I worry that material changes to library management on the SBS side would confuse how I interact with Rhapsody directly via my iPhone or PC.

My dream SBS system would combine results of my local FLAC library with my Rhapsody library. And there would be some indicator that let's me know the source of the content (local vs Rhapsody.) I'd be okay with (and might prefer) seeing duplication - i.e., under Pink Floyd I'd see the the FLAC version of Wish You Were Here and the Rhapsody version of the same album.

Squeezeboxen: Sadly, I no longer own any Squeezebox
    Controlled by: iPhone 5S running iPeng
    Server: MSI Nettop 100 running VortexBox 2.2, LMS 7.7.2
    Network: AT&T U-verse, Apple Time Capsule A1409, 5 Netgear Powerline AV200 Adapters
    Music Sources: Local FLACs, Rhapsody, Pandora

Squeezebox is dead. Long live Squeezebox!

We've just started using Napster after a disappointing trial of Spotify and really like it.

It has a very intuitive GUI meaning that you can actually find new stuff. Much better than Spotify in this regard. Also, we can stream separately to each of our SBs whilst Spotify will only allow one steam (which can of course be shared by synchronising).

Spotify wins on SQ (320kbps vs 192kbps) and also plays gaplessly which Napster does not. However, we're not using this as our primary music source but as a way to actually find new music we like (which is stupidly hard on Spotify). This plus the fact that it is half the price of Spotify means it is an overall winner for us.
    1 x Duet, 2 x Radio, 2 x Touch with iPeng 9 served by Synology 1815+ and LMS 7.9.1

We use Pandora, SiriusXM, and occasionally Slacker. One account in each case. Never felt a need for separate accounts/playlists/favorites. The currently-existing functionality is adequate for our needs. Obviously if a new plugin or plugins had that same functionality but added new features, that would be fine, but we're not pressed for anything new.

I have a single Pandora account, and it would be nice to have separate ones, with individual favorites. Kiddo favorites, my favorites, genre favorites. Also, the SB Pandora interaction isn't as refined as the iOS app - you can do far more on it, even vs. iPeng (don't have a list handy at the moment)

Pretty much play local music only. Little to none online service usage. Occasional novelty browsing at the most.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave