Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Very good , but where you sure that the where no level differences ? Replaygain tags or similar or if one off the files where level adjusted when encoded ?
    good point. I'd likely want to reencode an mp3 file from the FLAC file just to make sure (1) there was not volume adjustment done when creating the original mp3, (2) to control the quality of the mp3 (i.e., was it a LAME at something like -V2 or better or was is an old crappy mp3 encoder done at 128, or even worse a transcode of an mp3 from another mp3?), and, most importantly (3) that the mp3 file and the FLAC file are from the same disk, same mastering, etc.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    good point. I'd likely want to reencode an mp3 file from the FLAC file just to make sure (1) there was not volume adjustment done when creating the original mp3, (2) to control the quality of the mp3 (i.e., was it a LAME at something like -V2 or better or was is an old crappy mp3 encoder done at 128, or even worse a transcode of an mp3 from another mp3?), and, most importantly (3) that the mp3 file and the FLAC file are from the same disk, same mastering, etc.
    To be sure if you want to compare seriously you have to actually make the files yourself from your own lossless copy.

If OP is comparing downloaded mp3 with another set of downloaded flac it could really be anything even as you say a different master ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I converted the flac file to mp3 320kbps with foobar 2000, no adjustments made or anything else. I listened to the mp3 first and then the flac file. My wife came into the room and I played them both again without telling her which was which. She said that the second one sounded better, the flac version.

I like to listen to music , I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I like to do things as well as I can. If it is pleasing to me then I am quite happy, America /horse with no name mp3 was not downloaded just converted from flac. FGTH / Rage Hard was downloaded and in 320kbps, but I cant compare that as I have not got it on cd..

thanks again for all your input..)