Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    How to use wireless mode to control SB3?

    Hi,

    I can listen the music through Raspberry Pi type B 512MB to Squeezebox 3 (SB3) without any issue, now I am adding Edimax ew-7811un USB wireless dongle into Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi OS Wheezy has that USB dongle driver, so it works & no problem, now I wanna use iPad to control SB3, is it possible? If possible, do I use Ad-Hoc or Access Point mode to control SB3? See hardware configuration below.

    Name:  How to wireless control SB3.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  10.3 KB
    Last edited by theta; 2013-02-26 at 06:04.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    Hi,

    I can listen the music through Raspberry Pi type B 512MB to Squeezebox 3 (SB3) without any issue, now I am adding Edimax ew-7811un USB wireless dongle into Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi OS Wheezy has that USB dongle driver, so it works & no problem, now I wanna use iPad to control SB3, is it possible? If possible, do I use Ad-Hoc or Access Poit mode to control SB3?
    Either would work, ad-hoc might be easier. You don't actually control the SB3 with the iPad, you control LMS on the RPi (that in turn controls the SB3), so you don't need the RPi to act as a router between the iPad and SB3.

  3. #3
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,184
    Yes, that's how it works. The iPad only needs contact to the Pi.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Yes, that's how it works. The iPad only needs contact to the Pi.
    Thanks to all.

    Can you give one more tip regarding Ad-Hoc's IP address problem?

    I assigned IP: 172.0.0.1 to Raspberry Pi USB dongle, assigned 192.168.1.3 to SB3 & 192.168.1.99 to Raspberry Pi (use Ethernet crossover cable), in the beginning, I only attached USB wireless dongle, I unplugged crossover Ethernet cable, iPad can detect and connect to Raspberry Pi, and then I plugged Ethernet crossover cable in the Raspberry Pi, after that, iPad could not connect to Raspberry, is it IP address problem?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    Thanks to all.

    Can you give one more tip regarding Ad-Hoc's IP address problem?

    I assigned IP: 172.0.0.1 to Raspberry Pi USB dongle, assigned 192.168.1.3 to SB3 & 192.168.1.99 to Raspberry Pi (use Ethernet crossover cable), in the beginning, I only attached USB wireless dongle, I unplugged crossover Ethernet cable, iPad can detect and connect to Raspberry Pi, and then I plugged Ethernet crossover cable in the Raspberry Pi, after that, iPad could not connect to Raspberry, is it IP address problem?
    What address does the iPad have? It needs to be on the same subnet ( 172.0.0.0) as the RPi wireless, and statically assigned, unless you are running a DHCP server on the RPi - and in that case, you need to make sure the DHCP server serves the wireless interface, not the wired.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    What address does the iPad have? It needs to be on the same subnet ( 172.0.0.0) as the RPi wireless, and statically assigned, unless you are running a DHCP server on the RPi - and in that case, you need to make sure the DHCP server serves the wireless interface, not the wired.
    Yes, you are right, they should get the same subnet (ex: 192.168.1.x).

    I just found the thread to setup the Ad-Hoc in the Raspberry Pi, it can detect SSID & connect to Raspberry Pi, but when I type 192.168.1.99 in the iPad Safari browser, no response, no Logitech Media server page....so sad......, but I still O.K. to connect to Logitech Media server and see the pages via crossover Ethernet cable.

    For Raspberry Pi, I followed and setup the following items, no issue, they should be at the same Subnet now, but still don't know why cannot connect to 192.168.1.99 Logitech media sever, can somebody help?

    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "Pi"
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=36&t=18771
    Last edited by theta; 2013-02-26 at 08:09.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    Yes, you are right, they should get the same subnet (ex: 192.168.1.x).
    Having *everything* on the same subnet gets tricky - you might have to specify static routes on the RPi (otherwise the IP packets won't know if they should go out on the wireless or fixed interface).

    I just found the thread to setup the Ad-Hoc in the Raspberry Pi, it can detect SSID & connect to Raspberry Pi, but when I type 192.168.1.99 in the iPad Safari browser, no response, no Logitech Media server page....so sad......, but I still O.K. to connect to Logitech Media server and see the pages via crossover Ethernet cable.
    What IP address and subnet mask does the iPad have? What does "route -n" show on the RPi?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Having *everything* on the same subnet gets tricky - you might have to specify static routes on the RPi (otherwise the IP packets won't know if they should go out on the wireless or fixed interface).



    What IP address and subnet mask does the iPad have? What does "route -n" show on the RPi?
    iPad IP: 192.168.1.4 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    RPi route -n: (see below)

    root@SqueezePlug:~# route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    root@SqueezePlug:~#

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    iPad IP: 192.168.1.4 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    RPi route -n: (see below)

    root@SqueezePlug:~# route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    root@SqueezePlug:~#
    Can someday help? ^.^

  10. #10
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Sorry, was away over the weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by theta View Post
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    There's your problem. Two interfaces having exactly same IP range - now which interface should the kernel use to reach the iPad?

    Configure the wlan interface and the iPad to one ip range, and the fixed interface to a different range.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •