Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    Presumably the Lyrics field is displayed courtesy of your Song Info plugin, for which many thanks. It does not look like I need your Song Lyrics plugin then as I can see the Lyrics field just fine with Song Info.
    It's standard LMS functionality, you don't need any of my plugins for it to work.

Personally I would prefer a quicker way to get to the lyrics from the "now playing" screen, but it is no biggie - probably one for the Orange Squeeze list of requested features!
    If you use iPeng it's a lot easier to access, so maybe it's time to convince an Android developer to do something similar.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Instructions as promised

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    That would be great. I know that I would be grateful (and probably glad that it was one of those chores I did not get to last weekend.)
    I am presuming here that you have already installed Foobar 2000 and know the basics. Also a lot of this is dependent on how accurate your tags are. It uses the Artist and Track name tags so you will get errors if these are not correct. If you are rather anal about these things, like me, you will not have an issue.

Download foobar “Seek” plugin zip file from here and the “Lyric Show Panel 3” zip file from here

There is no need to unzip them, foobar does this as part of the install process.

In foobar go to file, Preferences, Components and install both plugins. Press “apply” and the program will restart.

Once the plugins are installed go to File, Preferences, Tools, Lyric Show 3

Lyric Searching tab
    On the first tab your main choice is to decide whether you want “time stamped” lyrics that will scroll and synchronise with the music karaoke style, or whether you just want a straight text tag.
    The options are:
    - Only synced
    - Only non-synced
    - Prefer synced
    - Prefer non-synced
    - No preference

Neither the Controller, nor either of the apps I use (Logitech and Orange Squeeze) can use the time stamping so I chose "only non-synced". Synced files have time data and HTML characters alongside the lyrics so are virtually unreadable unless your player can use the data.

If you use iPeng you might want to ask Pippin whether his app can use the time stamps.

You then have to choose the order in which the plugin searches the various databases. I have no idea which is better so just shifted the “Timestamped” servers to the bottom.

Lyric Saving tab
    Tick (check) “Enable automatic save”
    “Save method” is “Save to tag” (very important!)
    It is crucial that the un-synced Lyric tag is set to “LYRICS” otherwise Orange Squeeze and the Controller won’t read it.
    If you like your lyrics synced you will need to experiment with the synced lyric tag and your choice of control software. Again perhaps Pippin can advise.

I have ignored the “Advanced” tab, nothing critical here as far as I can tell.

That is it for the Lyric Show 3 plugin.

The “Preview” option in the seek plugin is set up from the normal “Playback” menu.

Implementation
    Add all the files and folders you want to tag to the playlist. Go to Playback, Seek Control, Preview length and select what you want. I found that the minimum, 6 seconds, was more than enough. Then choose Playback, Seek Control and tick Preview.

Press “Play” and then go away!
    You might want to watch it for a few tracks, it is rather cool, otherwise you can leave it to do its stuff for as long as it takes. I have done about half my collection now and will do the other half over the next few days.

Have fun!
    Last edited by TheLastMan; 2013-03-12 at 03:04.
    Matt
    http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS111 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.7.3 (official Synology package)
    Network: Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
    Study: Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline

I am presuming here that you have already installed Foobar 2000 and know the basics. Also a lot of this is dependent on how accurate your tags are. It uses the Artist and Track name tags so you will get errors if these are not correct. If you are rather anal about these things, like me, you will not have an issue.
    <snip>
    Have fun!
    Thanks, TLM! I do meet all the prerequisites (including being anal-retentive about tagging), so I look forward to giving this a spin when I have some time. I'm sure this step-by-step will save me a few false steps.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Thanks, TLM! I do meet all the prerequisites (including being anal-retentive about tagging), so I look forward to giving this a spin when I have some time. I'm sure this step-by-step will save me a few false steps.
    No probs.

One thing I omitted. The Lyric Show panel needs to be "docked" in the foobar player to view the lyrics. This is what works well for me:
    View, Layout, Quick setup and choose" Visualisation + Cover art + Tabs"
    then
    View, Layout, Enable layout editing mode
    then
    Right click the bottom right panel
    choose "replace UI Element"
    Lyrics Show Panel v3 is at the bottom of the list under the heading "Utils".
    If you want more room to view the lyrics you can right click on the boundary between the top and bottom right panels and un-tick "Lock bottom pane height". You can then drag it up to the size you want.
    When you have finished go back and un-tick "Enable layout editing mode"

Foorbar's interface is very configurable, but it is not my main player so I am only interested in the basics really.

So far I have been very pleased with the way this has grabbed lyrics for me. My only problems have been one album with no lyrics anywhere, several tracks with truncated lyrics (the first few lines followed by [...] ) and a few tracks in Spanish. The failure rate in total is no more than 1% so it has worked very well. I imagine the truncated lyrics is probably a copyright problem preventing the database from displaying the full version. Unfortunately there is no way of telling which database the lyrics actually come from. The program just works its way down the list until it hits one with a match and downloads that. It has no way of telling whether a lyric sheet is truncated or not.

It would be good if the program had a way of filtering out the truncated lyrics, but not a biggie really.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    It's standard LMS functionality, you don't need any of my plugins for it to work.
    OK. Where is the "Song info" plugin used then?

If you use iPeng it's a lot easier to access, so maybe it's time to convince an Android developer to do something similar.
    My daughter has my old iPod Touch with iPeng installed. I might borrow it and see whether it is worth it.

Bearing in mind recent events I doubt that very much development is going on with Squeezebox apps and plugins at the moment, other than yourself and a handful of stalwarts such as Triode. I might drop a note in the Orange Squeeze thread here to see if the developer is willing to invest any more time on it.
    Matt

OK. Where is the "Song info" plugin used then?
    "Song Info" is used as framework for other plugins to provide extra info about songs, which means:
    - "Song Lyrics" plugin used it to provide lyrics from some online sources, which as discussed previously in the thread doesn't work very good since musixmatch decided to suspend my account.
    - "Song Info" plugin itself provides some LastFM context menus both on artist, albums and tracks, which for example makes it possible to view similar artists or artist images about a selected artist.

My daughter has my old iPod Touch with iPeng installed. I might borrow it and see whether it is worth it.

Bearing in mind recent events I doubt that very much development is going on with Squeezebox apps and plugins at the moment, other than yourself and a handful of stalwarts such as Triode. I might drop a note in the Orange Squeeze thread here to see if the developer is willing to invest any more time on it.
    Well, honestly, I think I've seen more third party development during the last 6 months compared to the 1-2 years before that, but I can understand your point if you feel $10 for iPeng is a lot of money or you don't have an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to use it on. It's also important to remember that if you want to continue encourage the third party developers to do additions for the Squeezebox, if you want them to stick around it's a good idea to continue to purchase their apps or plugins or provide donations to those that do development for free.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

As I said I don't have an Apple device. My wife and I have Android phones with shared calendars, contacts etc. Well locked into Google's network!

Of course $10 is nothing, and I have tried other SB apps but settled on what I consider the best Android one - paid for full version of course.

It is great that you think there will be continued development. I hope you are right. I will continue to offer support and feedback where I can.
    Matt

FYI...iPeng used to be $10, it has been $5 for a while. Depending how old the iPod Touch is, it may not support the latest version of iPeng, which has a main page that displays lyrics. In my opinion, it's one of my favorite features of iPeng in the last few months.

iPeng is $6 (iPhone/iTouch) and $10 (iPad) and it currently runs on anything except for first generation iOS devices (original iPhone and iTouch). But I would not recommend it on 2nd generation devices either except as a standalone player (that doesn't require strict syncing). I personally find it too slow on these as a controller.
    Which leaves everything from Gen 3 on (iPhone 3GS, iTouch 3rd Gen, all iPads)
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7

I am following your route of using foobar to scan and tag my 12000 tracks on LMS. Nearly killed my WHS while it tries to keep up with mirroring onto both disks!

My question is have you figured out a neat way to re-run the workflow say once a month to pick up new music. I don't really want to include it in my normal rip, transfer, musicip, rescan process as it is already pretty involved. So ideally every month of two I would like to kick off a foobar run to update all new music. But I am not familiar with foobar, just followed you instructions blindly...any thoughts?

thanks btw for the post!

No probs.

One thing I omitted. The Lyric Show panel needs to be "docked" in the foobar player to view the lyrics. This is what works well for me:
    View, Layout, Quick setup and choose" Visualisation + Cover art + Tabs"
    then
    View, Layout, Enable layout editing mode
    then
    Right click the bottom right panel
    choose "replace UI Element"
    Lyrics Show Panel v3 is at the bottom of the list under the heading "Utils".
    If you want more room to view the lyrics you can right click on the boundary between the top and bottom right panels and un-tick "Lock bottom pane height". You can then drag it up to the size you want.
    When you have finished go back and un-tick "Enable layout editing mode"

Foorbar's interface is very configurable, but it is not my main player so I am only interested in the basics really.

So far I have been very pleased with the way this has grabbed lyrics for me. My only problems have been one album with no lyrics anywhere, several tracks with truncated lyrics (the first few lines followed by [...] ) and a few tracks in Spanish. The failure rate in total is no more than 1% so it has worked very well. I imagine the truncated lyrics is probably a copyright problem preventing the database from displaying the full version. Unfortunately there is no way of telling which database the lyrics actually come from. The program just works its way down the list until it hits one with a match and downloads that. It has no way of telling whether a lyric sheet is truncated or not.

It would be good if the program had a way of filtering out the truncated lyrics, but not a biggie really.