Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Announce: JiveLite - cut down squeezebox control application

I thought I'd share this with people - its very early days, but its the underpinnings what I am thinking of to control the squeezelite player for a hdmi based control application for the community squeezebox. At present is looks just like the Touch version of squeezeplay, but its not quite this.

The idea is for a cut down version of the squeezeplay application based on the BSD licensed logitech code. This is focussed as the original jive product was on controlling separate squeezebox instances. So all audio playback is removed and many of the applets included with squeezeplay are also removed to make it simpler. The aim would be to create a full screen skin which can be used to display the control application on the hdmi port of a device (wandboard/pi/cubox etc).

I'd be interested if people would would like to look at the skin or have already looked at full screen skins. Long term I would also like to create a new set of image assets for this, so looking for help with this...

Some internal details:
    - all audio code removed
    - assumes local shared libraries installed for main libraries (libSDL, libSD_ttf, libSDL_image, libSDL_gfx) so these are not built as part of the application (may want to do this later to reduce memory foot print)
    - moved from lua to luajit to get get some of the additional features this brings such as ablity to directly bind c libraries (+ a performance boost)
    - some small syntax changes to cope with move to luajit
    - same underlying applet based architecture and code as squeezeplay which should make it easy for people to create additional applets, note there are a couple of few syntax differences as the logitech lua had specific patches for non standard operators [ != | & ] which can't be used with luajit
    - linux only at present

The early code is on googlecode if you want to take a look..

git clone https://code.google.com/p/jivelite/

The repo includes i386 and arm7a (wandboard) binary libraries for the lua components used. It is intended that you build the application binary yourself: cd into src and make, then cd .., ./bin/jivelite to start. Assuming your SDL library has the appropriate capablities you should get an X11 application which looks just like squeezeplay (but less menus!)
    Last edited by Triode; 2013-02-20 at 15:40.

I'd like something like this. Screen layout should be different than squeezeplay.

I'd probably use it as only a now playing screen. For me it would run on a seperate PC from player or server. I want a now playing screen that's clean/dark and with hidden controls.

Now playing should have
    - Large album art
    - Title of currently playing song etc.
    - List of upcoming songs (i.e. current playlist) with album art.
    - black/dark background
    - not look like a computer screen.
    - option to remove all controls to declutter

I'd be happy to test on Linux (and windows if it makes it there). Just give me clear instructions on what I need to do to make it.
    Louis
    Last.fm

It's currently only linux, but I'd like to get feedback and help with skin development, so here's some step by step instuctions - please comment on them so we can correct for other users as I can't try this out completely. Note it will work for i386 and arm7 at present. I'll add x86_64 libraries soon.

1) Install git and the following libraries from your linux distro: libSDL-1.2, libSDL_ttf-2.0, libSDL_image-1.2, libSDL_gfx libexpat1-dev
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libexpat1-dev
    2) Install and build luajit:
    Code:
    git clone http://luajit.org/git/luajit-2.0.git
    cd luajit-2.0
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo ldconfig
    cd ..
    3) Clone jivelite & build it:
    Code:
    cd jivelite
    make
    4) Run it
    Code:
    ./bin/jivelite
    Last edited by Triode; 2013-03-02 at 10:42.

jive.h:13:23: fatal error: SDL_image.h: No such file or directory

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    It's currently only linux, but I'd like to get feedback and help with skin development, so here's some step by step instuctions - please comment on them so we can correct for other users as I can't try this out completely. Note it will work for i386 and arm7 at present. I'll add x86_64 libraries soon.

1) Install git and the following libraries from your linux distro: libSDL-1.2, libSDL_ttf-2.0, libSDL_image-1.2, libSDL_gfx
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev
    No problems here.

2) Install and build luajit:
    Code:
    git clone http://luajit.org/git/luajit-2.0.git
    cd luajit-2.0
    make
    sudo make install
    cd ..
    None here either.

3) Clone jivelite & build it:
    Code:
    cd jivelite/src
    make
    cd ..
    Looked ok?
    4) Run it
    Code:
    ./bin/jivelite
    got an error:
    Code:
    ./bin/jivelite: error while loading shared libraries: libluajit-5.1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Guess this might be the missing libraries. Missed the bit about the 64 bit. Running a 64bit system.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    No problems here.

None here either.

Looked ok?

got an error:
    Code:
    ./bin/jivelite: error while loading shared libraries: libluajit-5.1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Guess this might be the missing libraries. Missed the bit about the 64 bit. Running a 64bit system.
    It will be a problem, but interested you see the same as me for the path.

Try running:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./bin/jivelite

I think it will crash as there's no libraries there (and also with the libraries there its crashing in something at present 64 bit support may need to wait till I fix this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    jive.h:13:23: fatal error: SDL_image.h: No such file or directory
    No sdl image development libraries?

No sdl image development libraries?
    Right. I thought I had done sudo apt-get install git libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev, but somehow the last target got cut off in the c&p...

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    got an error:
    Code:
    Got the same error, on a 32-bit system (Ubuntu 12.10)

Try running:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./bin/jivelite
    That did it on my 32-bit system. Works great!
    Last edited by Julf; 2013-02-22 at 03:18.