Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 297
  1. #21
    Senior Member bluegaspode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Well, these days Apple demands videos of everything which can also be pretty bad if you've got a lot of functionality. Only for new Apps, though. Updates these days are quite relaxed, they've got automated testing for everything they really care about and the rest is really "if there are many user complaints we might look more carefully but otherwise it's probably fine".
    Videos of everything is relative. Just needs to show the main stuff you are proposing.
    In the early days I shot a video for each update on the meantime the video from the very first version is good enough.
    Still my Apps hang around 5 days in the 'in review' state.

    Funny to hear that Amazon still got real testers.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    See below.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    It runs fine on the FireTV, someone has tried it already. SB Player is actually already on the Amazon App Store for 3rd gen Kindles and the Fire phone and I'm in the process of the getting it approved for the FireTV.
    Great news, looking forward to trying it out!

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12

    Fire TV

    Any news on the approval for the Fire TV?

    I would buy it in an instant. But I can't even sideload it to the Fire TV, because it says it is not compatible with my Kindel Fire HD (first generation), so I can't download it after I buy it.

    Can I sideload the Google Playstore version if I buy it there? Would this Version work on the FireTV?

    Best regards, Michael

    PS: Any chance you need an other beta tester? ;-)

  4. #24
    Senior Member wt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by lomdar67 View Post
    Any news on the approval for the Fire TV?

    I would buy it in an instant. But I can't even sideload it to the Fire TV, because it says it is not compatible with my Kindel Fire HD (first generation), so I can't download it after I buy it.

    Can I sideload the Google Playstore version if I buy it there? Would this Version work on the FireTV?

    Best regards, Michael

    PS: Any chance you need an other beta tester? ;-)
    It's under review, we'll see if it goes through this time. At least the last they complained it was about a legitimate bug that I missed, and not some nitpicky thing.

    Yeah, SB Player requires at least Android 4.1.2 (Jellybean) and only 3rd gen or better Kindles came with it.

    I'm not sure 100% sure if a version purchased from play will sideload onto the FireTV. There's nothing in my code that limits it to one store or another, but there may be some DRM scheme that each store uses that may prevent the apk from working on a different device.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    I'm not sure 100% sure if a version purchased from play will sideload onto the FireTV. There's nothing in my code that limits it to one store or another, but there may be some DRM scheme that each store uses that may prevent the apk from working on a different device.
    It did work!

    I don't know if the recent version on the Playstore has the same code as the version in review for the Fire TV if so, there is one problem:

    Server detection is not working if you have a wired connection. I had to unplug my ethernet cable and connect via wlan to select my sqb-server. After saving the server it worked with a wired connection.

    Oh and one question: would it be possible to make SB Player autostart when the Fire TV starts?

    Best regards, Michael

  6. #26
    Senior Member wt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by lomdar67 View Post
    It did work!

    I don't know if the recent version on the Playstore has the same code as the version in review for the Fire TV if so, there is one problem:

    Server detection is not working if you have a wired connection. I had to unplug my ethernet cable and connect via wlan to select my sqb-server. After saving the server it worked with a wired connection.

    Oh and one question: would it be possible to make SB Player autostart when the Fire TV starts?

    Best regards, Michael
    Yes it's the same version as the one under review.

    Thanks for mentioning that server discovery doesn't work with a wired connection. It turns out that I was only allowing server discovery to work through the Wifi connection, which made sense at the time since Android devices were mostly phones and tablets.

    I'll add launch at boot to the next version, let's hope it won't violate some FireTV restriction. In the meantime you may be able to find apps that will allow you to choose what to auto launch. I know they are available in Google Play, but I'm not sure if you can find them on Amazon.
    Last edited by wt0; 2014-10-10 at 19:09.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4

    Amazon Fire TV plus DAC plus SB player plus iPeng = Duet?

    I had purchased a fire TV for video streaming, but thought it might be useful as a music streaming device, i.e. squeezebox client, as well. I hoped I could use iPeng as the controller, SB player as the player, and the fire TV as the hardware. I had contacted Wayne, the developer of SB player, about possibly using it on the fire TV and he was kind enough to provide a test copy. I think I'm probably the "somebody" that he refers to above. The bottom line is that the program works and you can stream output from your LMS through the fire TV through two channel output through the optical output port into a DAC. The fire TV supports Dolby Digital, but I don't use that, so I can't comment on surroundsound.

    My impressions:

    1. Downloading. The test copy downloaded automatically from the Amazon app store and installed itself.

    2. Set up. The first setup attempt was successful, but not seamless. The Amazon controller clicks through the various setup fields, but it's hard to tell what field you're actually using as initially they weren't highlighted, except for the buttons. So it was a bit of trial and error. The player did not automatically identify the server. When I manually inputted the server IP address into the correct field, it found the server and connected, and then I was able to save the server, and it found the server every time after the first. After connecting, "SB player" automatically showed up as a device in the iPeng controller app, and all the normal iPeng controller features worked. Yesterday when I set up the app, the fields were actually highlighted as I clicked through them, but when I had to reinstall the program today again they were not. Don't know why the fields are highlighted sometimes and sometimes not.

    A. The default bandwidth is set to auto. I think the app is designed for an android phone, and the options are low (for 3G/4G) or high (for wireless). I was using a wired connection. There is no option for a wired connection. I think it defaulted to low bandwidth on auto, and would not stream my ALAC music on low bandwidth, which is about 95% of my collection. If I set it to "high" bandwidth it streamed ALAC (and MP3) without difficulty.

    B. When I initially set this up, I was streaming through the HDMI connection to my TV set. When I plugged in the SPDIF cable I was able to stream two channel directly to a Schiit Modi DAC and then to my two channel system (Emotiva amp and preamp, with magnepan speakers). Sounded really good.

    3. Use:

    After five minutes, the TV screen goes into the screensaver mode, which defaults to some pretty pictures that Amazon provides. You can download your own photos from the Amazon cloud if you want to leave the TV on. Can you look at album art on the TV? Don't know- worth looking into.
    Can you turn the TV off? Yes, but after five seconds the fire TV defaults into standby mode and the music stops. The player still shows up in iPeng, but is paused. If you click play at that point, it will begin to play again even with the TV off, and doesn't shut off again.
    Can you disconnect the HDMI connection? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. The one time I tried it the music stopped immediately. I didn't think to check what had happened in iPeng. I'm concerned that the fire TV requires detection of an HDMI output in order to function, but I don't know this for sure.
    Can you use the "wake on LAN" function in iPeng? I don't think so, as I don't think the fire TV supports wake on LAN. I was able to get my server to wake up and my other squeezebox player, but not the fire TV. This means that in order to use it you have to turn on the TV set, and the fire TV comes out of standby automatically. You then have to manually load the player each time. There is an option in the player to connect automatically on start up, but I think it defaults to "auto" with automatic startup, which doesn't work with a wired connection if you are trying to stream anything but MP3. I gather there are other apps that will auto load the player, but I haven't tried them.
    What codecs does it support? Don't know for sure. The fire TV supports MP3 natively as far as I can figure out. The SB player supports multiple codecs, and most of my music is in ALAC which works well. Didn't try FLAC.

    I was able to listen for a few hours yesterday without difficulty. I shut the system off and came back a few hours later, and the player wouldn't load, even though it was present in the app list. I eventually had to uninstall and reinstall for it to work. Don't know where this glitch came from, as it's the first (and only) time it's happened.

    Bottom line: it works, but it's not completely seamless. It has to be set up manually each time. I understand there are apps that will auto load other apps, which might be worth a try, but it defaults to the low bandwidth auto setup with a wired connection. From the above post, it looks like Wayne is fixing this. If the fire TV really does require an HDMI connection in order for the fire TV to boot, that will limit its usefulness as a standalone music player; I don't know if this is true or not yet, or whether this requirement could be hacked.

    I actually think that this is pretty neat. I was concerned about maintaining the squeezebox ecosystem when my multiple Logitech hardware devices start to fail, and this offers at least a pretty straightforward store-bought option, at least if your music system is connected to a TV. For about $200 (fire TV plus DAC plus the apps), it's a nice player- think Duet equivalent. You could spend a lot more on a high-end DAC if you wanted.

    Wish list: I will try to sort out if an active HDMI connection is really required. If so, it would be nice to figure out a way to eliminate this. It would be nice to have the app load automatically on start up, and not default to a low bandwidth connection when it connects automatically. It would be great if Amazon could introduce wake on LAN functionality as well. I hope they realize there's a potential market for this as a music streamer as well as video streamer, and while they are probably just interested in it as a means to sell their video content, it's great that they allow other options.

    Brooke
    Last edited by bs01890; 2014-10-12 at 10:57.

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    Yes it's the same version as the one under review.

    Thanks for mentioning that server discovery doesn't work with a wired connection. It turns out that I was only allowing server discovery to work through the Wifi connection, which made sense at the time since Android devices were mostly phones and tablets.

    I'll add launch at boot to the next version, let's hope it won't violate some FireTV restriction. In the meantime you may be able to find apps that will allow you to choose what to auto launch. I know they are available in Google Play, but I'm not sure if you can find them on Amazon.
    Got it working with llama. Now everytime the Fire TV starts SB Player also starts. Only "problem" there is, that it is starting in the foreground. When you implement autostart, could you also add an option to start it in the background?

    On the Fire TV I see SB Player more as a service. Once it is configured it should allways run in the backround, no need to turn on the tv, never see the interface (unless you need to reconfigure something) ;-)

    Best regrads, Michael

    BTW: I tested SB Player intensely for almost three days now, without any problem. Didn't have to restart it or anything! No problem with starting other apps or streaming a video while SB Player is running in the background. The music simply stops and continues when I close the other app!

  9. #29
    Senior Member wt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by lomdar67 View Post
    Got it working with llama. Now everytime the Fire TV starts SB Player also starts. Only "problem" there is, that it is starting in the foreground. When you implement autostart, could you also add an option to start it in the background?

    On the Fire TV I see SB Player more as a service. Once it is configured it should allways run in the backround, no need to turn on the tv, never see the interface (unless you need to reconfigure something) ;-)

    Best regrads, Michael

    BTW: I tested SB Player intensely for almost three days now, without any problem. Didn't have to restart it or anything! No problem with starting other apps or streaming a video while SB Player is running in the background. The music simply stops and continues when I close the other app!
    It is meant to always run in the background, and in fact it starts first in the background and then launches the main screen. On everything else except for the FireTV the main app screen has a checkbox that allows you to not show that main screen when the app launches. However on one of the early times I tried to get it approved for the FireTV, Amazon complained about the app not launching if that checkbox was un-selected. So I now detect that it's running on the FireTV and not show that checkbox. It just seem simpler than trying the explain the "running in the background" concept to them.

    Sometimes I suspect about the familiarity the Amazon reviewers actually have with Android, aside from checkbox thing one complaint was that on Kindles the three dots in the upper right that open the app menu do not appear on the FireTV, even though that is the standard Android behavior for devices that have a hardware menu button.

    The auto launch option will have an always launch in the background option, hopefully it will pass thru the review unnoticed.

    BTW, the auto music stop thing was actually just fixed in the current version. It was in much earlier versions, but at some point I accidentally deleted a single line of code and disabled that function. It was actually the Amazon review that noticed the problem. That's about the only truly constructive thing to come out of the review process so far.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    This seems like a cool app. I've been struggling with how to replace a flakey SB Receiver in the living room, and this may be the ticket. I've installed it on my Galaxy S5, and confirmed that both the Sirius/XM and Pandora apps work fine, which means it'll satisfy all our needs. We'd been thinking of getting a FireTV box anyway, so this may put it over the top.

    Question on installation on the Fire TV (hopefully it'll get approved and make it a moot point). Do I somehow grab the .apk from my phone and sideload it on the FireTV, do I have to contact Wayne directly for a special version?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •