Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Annouce: SB Player, a software Squeezebox player app for Android.

SB Player, a software Squeezebox player app is now available for Android 4.1+ (Jellybean) devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.sbplayer

Features
    --------
    - Supports both local servers and MySqueezebox.com (you will need to have a MySqueezebox.com account)
    - Automatically discovers local servers on your network.
    - Supports playback of music files on your server and internet streams.
    - Natively decodes Flac, MP3, AAC, Ogg, Alac, and PCM (AIF and Wav) audio.
    - Natively supports playback of 24bit audio by converting to 16bit (with dithering).
    - Continues playing when the app is in the background.
    - Can handle music with lower than 44.1Khz sampling rates, common with internet radio.
    - Supports fade in, fade out, and crossfading between songs.
    - Supports synchronized playback with other players.
    - Supports single channel mode for using two sync'd players as left and right channels
    - Supports track/album gain for songs.
    - Automatically pauses playback for phone calls.
    - Option to launch directly into the notification area without showing an app view.
    - Option to limit playback to only lossy compressed formats for low bandwidth situations.
    - Option to disable 24->16bit dithering and/or use lower quality resampling for use on slower devices.
    - Works with the apps in MyApps that are allowed by Logitech to work on software players.

Limitations
    ----------
    - Only works with ShoutCast and plain http internet streams, which accounts for the majority
    of streams. Will not work with MMS and MMSH streams, which are mainly used for WMA audio.
    - Apps like Rhapsody (and possibly Spotify) will not work with this app because Logitech restricts
    them to hardware players only. I've been told that paid Pandora should work.
    - The quality of synchronized playback can vary a lot depending on the device.
    It works well on a Galaxy Nexus, but it won't be perfect and will need to be adjusted in your server
    settings.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

Great work, I just installed it on my Nexus 7 and tried it briefly.

Seems to have a bit more settings than the competing Squeeze Player app, not sure how many of the settings I have a need for myself but I think some of them could be useful for more advanced users.

This is probably a stupid question for people used with Android, but if I uncheck the "Show this screen at launch" checkbox is there any way to get back to the initial connection screen except for uninstalling and reinstall the app ?

I first thought it wasn't possible to change the player name but then I realized I could do it through LMS even if it wasn't available as a setting in the app. What about letting the user specify the player name the first time the app is started and default it to something named the same as the Android device, if I run it on multiple Android devices it's going to be confusing if they all is named "SB Player" in LMS by default.

Is the reason it requires Android 4.1 that you use the new API's available for audio stuff or is it just that you don't want to test and support all older Android versions ?

At first I was confused about the low volume but then I realized that there is two volume controls, the one on the Android device and the one in the app, so if the volume on the Android device is set too low it's not possible to raise the volume through a Squeezebox remote control app. I think I would prefer that the SB Player app controlled the Android volume control, this is what Squeeze Player does and it avoids the scenario that you have to go to your Android device in the docking station to adjust the volume, you can do it all through your normal Squeezebox remote control.

When I launch SB Player from Squeeze Control, I would like it to launch SB Player and automatically connect it to the same LMS server as Suqeeze Control is connected to, currently it seems to launch SB Player with the last server SB Player was connected to. I think it could also be useful to have some setting in Squeeze Control so it automatically launch SB Player when Squeeze Control is started.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial). If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    This is probably a stupid question for people used with Android, but if I uncheck the "Show this screen at launch" checkbox is there any way to get back to the initial connection screen except for uninstalling and reinstall the app ?
    Pull down the notification area and tap the SB Player notification.

I first thought it wasn't possible to change the player name but then I realized I could do it through LMS even if it wasn't available as a setting in the app. What about letting the user specify the player name the first time the app is started and default it to something named the same as the Android device, if I run it on multiple Android devices it's going to be confusing if they all is named "SB Player" in LMS by default.
    This is actually how hardware Squeezeboxes behave. When the player connects, it sends it's name to the server so it would be possible to specify what it sends. However I'm not sure what happens if the name that it sends is different from the name that the server already has for it. I don't know which one will take precedent. I'll have to run some tests.

Is the reason it requires Android 4.1 that you use the new API's available for audio stuff or is it just that you don't want to test and support all older Android versions ?
    Yes SB Player uses the new MediaCodec API in Android 4.1, which allows it to use the system's audio decoders in an SDK app instead of having to use the NDK.

At first I was confused about the low volume but then I realized that there is two volume controls, the one on the Android device and the one in the app, so if the volume on the Android device is set too low it's not possible to raise the volume through a Squeezebox remote control app. I think I would prefer that the SB Player app controlled the Android volume control, this is what Squeeze Player does and it avoids the scenario that you have to go to your Android device in the docking station to adjust the volume, you can do it all through your normal Squeezebox remote control.
    I'll consider adding this.

When I launch SB Player from Squeeze Control, I would like it to launch SB Player and automatically connect it to the same LMS server as Suqeeze Control is connected to, currently it seems to launch SB Player with the last server SB Player was connected to. I think it could also be useful to have some setting in Squeeze Control so it automatically launch SB Player when Squeeze Control is started.
    You can already do this in Squeeze Control. Look in Preferences > General.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

Hi,
    do you think it would be possible to use a Android TV stick like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...669898733.html with SB Player in autostart as headless Squeezebox Player? I am not sure about the quality of the headphone output but it could make a quite descent Squeezebox Player with Wifi and everything already on board.

Quote Originally Posted by HellG View Post
    Hi,
    do you think it would be possible to use a Android TV stick like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...669898733.html with SB Player in autostart as headless Squeezebox Player? I am not sure about the quality of the headphone output but it could make a quite descent Squeezebox Player with Wifi and everything already on board.
    I've been thinking for a while that SB Player on an Android stick or similar devices would make a decent player, but I can't be sure if it will actually run on one. SB Player was developed on a Galaxy Nexus and this thing has faster clocked version of a similar CPU so hardware-wise it's definitely capable. Theoretically it should work as long as its running Android 4.1 (or better) and it has access to Google Play, unless the 4.1 it's running is crippled somehow. The only way to really know is to try it.

Of course you'll still run into the limitation of certain Squeezebox apps not being allowed to run on software players.

Another thing I've wondered is if SB Player will run on Google TV, though I don't think Google TV was ever upgraded to Android 4.1.
    Last edited by wt0; 2013-05-02 at 13:16.
    --------------

GTV is a mess, only a very crippled version of Android.
    I don't think they ever upgraded the Android version.

I do know that some people have been successful to run SqueezePlayer on Android sticks so I guess this should be working for SB Player as well.
    As far as I know those sticks run a full blown Android version without limitations but of course might heavily depend on the actual stick.
    In any case I guess every App developer has no problem refunding a purchase if kindly asked, so really no risk in trying (well if you own such a stick already that is)
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

I am not sure about the quality of the headphone output
    Most android stick do not have headphone out just USB and HDMI. You might be able to add a USB device audio out device but depends in the Android build has the necessary driver. An alternative might be to use a Bluetooth speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Most android stick do not have headphone out just USB and HDMI. You might be able to add a USB device audio out device but depends in the Android build has the necessary driver. An alternative might be to use a Bluetooth speaker.
    Well if you have to use Bluetooth and you're more serious about audio quality, you can try something like this: http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rser...acs,rBlink.htm

They make USB DAC'S too.
    --------------

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Hi,
    I bought this stick: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...669898733.html . I installed SB Player on it and so far I can say that it works. Unfortunately Wifi reception is not the best and the signal is so low next to my HiFi set that I ordered already an USB-to-Ethernet adapter. A soon as it is working I can directly compare the analog audio and HDMI out of the TV stick with my Raspberry Pi with USB DAC (SPDIF). I am no audio expert so don't give to much on my opinion, but I already can say that this one sounds horrible: http://www.ebay.de/itm/290687235460

HellG

Hi,
    I bought this stick: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...669898733.html . I installed SB Player on it and so far I can say that it works. Unfortunately Wifi reception is not the best and the signal is so low next to my HiFi set that I ordered already an USB-to-Ethernet adapter. A soon as it is working I can directly compare the analog audio and HDMI out of the TV stick with my Raspberry Pi with USB DAC (SPDIF). I am no audio expert so don't give to much on my opinion, but I already can say that this one sounds horrible: http://www.ebay.de/itm/290687235460
    For that price I wouldn't have expected it to be anything but horrible

When audio is still in digital format you can get by with cheap components, since price in general just buys you speed. However, once that audio is converted to analog its quality becomes quite dependent on the price/quality of the components and things get expensive pretty quickly.
    --------------