Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6

    Setup SqueezePlug on Raspberry Pi

    Hi,

    I try to setup SqueezePlug on a Raspberry Pi, but I do not know, with apps do I must install for my purpose.
    I plane to use the SqueezePlug as a mediaplayer with SqueezePlay as frontend. It should be also possible to control the player by a webinterface. Also I will do not use the Logitech Server, but my own Squeeze server on the RPI. The next steps should be to connect the player with a second client, that should play the same music syncrone and I will also control the player by a smartphone or a tablet.

    Can anybody describe, witch apps I must install, and how this must configure?

    Until now I installed the SqueezePlay, the SqueezeSlave and the LMS, but I don't know if this was correct. The mp3 files I plan to play comes from a NAS. I mounted them as samba a share. If I try to play one of the files, I herar only clicks for a view seconds (if I use the SqueezePlay), or nothing if I use the webinterface on port 9000. After 2-6 seconds the playback stops.

    Claus

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,181
    Quote Originally Posted by clausmuus View Post
    Hi,

    I try to setup SqueezePlug on a Raspberry Pi, but I do not know, with apps do I must install for my purpose.
    I plane to use the SqueezePlug as a mediaplayer with SqueezePlay as frontend. It should be also possible to control the player by a webinterface. Also I will do not use the Logitech Server, but my own Squeeze server on the RPI. The next steps should be to connect the player with a second client, that should play the same music syncrone and I will also control the player by a smartphone or a tablet.

    Can anybody describe, witch apps I must install, and how this must configure?

    Until now I installed the SqueezePlay, the SqueezeSlave and the LMS, but I don't know if this was correct. The mp3 files I plan to play comes from a NAS. I mounted them as samba a share. If I try to play one of the files, I herar only clicks for a view seconds (if I use the SqueezePlay), or nothing if I use the webinterface on port 9000. After 2-6 seconds the playback stops.

    Claus
    Install:

    On Pi:

    LMS
    Squeezelite player

    On PC:

    Squeezeplay client

    On tablet:

    Logitech controller

    Configure LMS using your web browser
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    Must I configure the LMS to use the Squeezelite player as output device? Does the Squeezelite client is only a output device? I think to remember, that the webfrontend ask to select a output device.

    Is it allowed to install the SqueezePlay also on the RPI? I want to use the RPI as server and as SqueezePlay client. And (how) must I configure the output device on the SqueezePlay client?

    Can anybody simple describe the jobs of the single components. Its easy to find descriptions about what is possible with a Squeeze system, but I found no simple description how to setup it, witch components are needed and what are the jobs of the components.

    Is it right that it is possible to install a small tool on a notebook, so that the notebook can use every Squeeze (-light?) client as virtual soundcard? What is the name of the tool (for a linux (ubuntu) system)?

    Do you have any idea why both players will not work and stops playing after a view seconds?

    Until installing the LMS (maybe it was one of the other tools) I was requested for a Logitech Squeeze account. I have abort this dialog, because I do not want to have such a account since I think that the LMS is a alternative for this. Is this right, or is this maybe the reasons for my problems?

    Claus
    Last edited by clausmuus; 2013-01-24 at 03:10.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,181
    Quote Originally Posted by clausmuus View Post
    Must I configure the LMS to use the Squeezelite player as output device? Does the Squeezelite client is only a output device? I think to remember, that the webfrontend ask to select a output device.

    Is it allowed to install the SqueezePlay also on the RPI? I want to use the RPI as server and as SqueezePlay client. And (how) must I configure the output device on the SqueezePlay client?

    Can anybody simple describe the jobs of the single components. Its easy to find descriptions about what is possible with a Squeeze system, but I found no simple description how to setup it, witch components are needed and what are the jobs of the components.

    Is it right that it is possible to install a small tool on a notebook, so that the notebook can use every Squeeze (-light?) client as virtual soundcard? What is the name of the tool (for a linux (ubuntu) system)?

    Do you have any idea why both players will not work and stops playing after a view seconds?

    Until installing the LMS (maybe it was one of the other tools) I was requested for a Logitech Squeeze account. I have abort this dialog, because I do not want to have such a account since I think that the LMS is a alternative for this. Is this right, or is this maybe the reasons for my problems?

    Claus
    You are making it harder than it actually is!

    Use the Pi as a LMS SERVER AND a Squeezelite PLAYER. You need a client to use Squeezelite - ie. Squeezeplay CLIENT on a Windows PC. (If you install Squeezelite AFTER you install LMS, then the install will ask which server it shoild use. Read the install instructions).

    Or use the LMS gui to control Squeezelite - you have to select it as the Player on the LMS gui page.

    Use mp3 music files - and test using them before you use other formats.

    You do not need an account, but it may help you to get things running, if you set one up. You have nothing to lose.

    Beyond that, I suggest you experiment more. There's not much more anyone can tell at this stage.
    Last edited by castalla; 2013-01-24 at 07:28.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    Hi,

    you are writing, that I should start the squeezeplay client on a other PC. But that is not what I plan to Do. I need the squeezeplay on the RPI. Is it allowed to start it also on the same RPI?

    Claus

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,181
    Quote Originally Posted by clausmuus View Post
    Hi,

    you are writing, that I should start the squeezeplay client on a other PC. But that is not what I plan to Do. I need the squeezeplay on the RPI. Is it allowed to start it also on the same RPI?

    Claus
    No. LMS needs a player to play the audio. You need to control the player either via LMS gui or a Player (SqueezePlay or another Logitech physical device, eg. Radio, Touch, Boom, etc)

    There is no point in having Squeezeplay on the Pi. Also, there is only a Windows version.

    LMS database > gui and/OR Squeezelite player > speakers

    Squeezeplay > (LMS) > Squeezelite > speakers

    Android/iOS app > (LMS) > Squeezelite > speakers
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    Hi,

    thank you for the description. Now I understand a little better how it works. But in one point you are not up to date. There is also the possibility to install SqueezePlay on the RPI via squeezeplug setup tool.

    Claus

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •