Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 87 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

SPDIF is not working at present

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    My Wandboard should arrive Thursday. Looking forward to that.

Two quick questions:
    1. Is it possible to have the Wandboard output audio on SPDIF and analog at the same time?
    2. Will the JS board come with trigger outputs?
    Hi Pascal,

the SPDIF interface is not working at all. In the wandboard forum you can find a thread
    about the problem:
    http://www.wandboard.org/index.php/f...2Fio5STGIEAXQJ
    No solution in sight now.

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by ab.wagener View Post
    Hi Pascal,

the SPDIF interface is not working at all. In the wandboard forum you can find a thread
    about the problem:
    http://www.wandboard.org/index.php/f...2Fio5STGIEAXQJ
    No solution in sight now.

Bernd
    The SPDIF interface is designed wrong, but it does still seem to work for some (maybe even the majority of) users.
    If yours doesn't work, and you are reassonably skilled with a soldering iron, I can provide instructions for how to modify the board to get it working.
    It is not an easy job, but doable.

Terry

I thought I'd give everyone an update on what is happening on the hardware front. I've had a SWAMP05 put together for a couple weeks. Unfortunately it had some major software issues, most of the peripherals were turned off such as USB, S/PDIF, serial port etc. Then when CSOS R2 was released these started working.

So now I have SWAMP05 working essentially the same as the wand carrier board, I can play music over a USB DAC etc.

It is now ready for the driver development to proceed. Custom drivers are needed to output data to the DAC chip, control the clock generation, configure the CPU for external clock synching etc. The software guys are spending their time on CSOS right now, so it might be a little while before this gets started.

I have also built two other boards, one a test of the new DAC chip and the new ultra low noise regulator chip. Those regulator chips have been a major nightmare. They are in a very small QFN package which is exceedingly difficult to hand solder. I finally worked out a technique to solder them, and found they didn't work. after a couple days I finally tracked this down to me misinterpreting the data sheet, and wound up getting the pinout upside down and backwards. I spent two days trying to perform microsurgery on a board with an X-acto knife, super fine wire, a fine tip soldering iron and the most important part, a binocular microscope. After hours of work I managed to get one regulator hooked up correctly, and low and behold it actually works!

When I first put the test board together and realized the regulators weren't working, I took them off one board and put in a good old regulator I had on hand, it's not nearly as low noise as this new one, but it has much bigger pins so I could easily solder it into place.

I connected this test board up to the I2S signal from another USB DAC board and got music out of the DAC chip right off the bat. After a couple days burnin the sound was amazing, simply stunning, the best DAC I have at home right now. This thing was blowing away all my twenty times more expensive DACs.

I thought this was going to be VERY good DAC, much better than what was in the Touch, but I had no idea it was going to be this stunning. And that isn't even with the ultra low noise regulator. For a PS I was just using the Logitech supplied Touch PS. And it still sounds amazing.

I'm working on another board, which is used to program the DSP on the DAC chip so I can try different filters. The board house lost this board and had to re-fab it, so it's going to be a few more days before that is up and running.

I'm starting to work on the CSP1 schematic now that I know that at least the basic compute part of the design works. I won't finalize this until we know that we can have working drivers for the audio part.

So to summarize, there has been some progress on the hardware side, but there is still a lot of work to do, so try and be patient, this will eventually get done, and I hope it's worth the wait.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by bernid View Post
    Congrats, Great plans!!!
    Will there be an option to connect external DAC via I2S interface?
    Will I be able to connect an external MasterClock?
    Wow, that opens up a can of worms. There are so many different ways this can be used it's going to be difficult to come up with the definitive implementation.

First off, what is the physical model here, is this the case of one box talking to another box with a cable in-between, or is it the raw board sitting on top of another board in the same box? This makes a BIG difference as to the interface used. If going between boxes I would insist on using LVDS, it's the only commonly used method of transporting I2s between boxes that is any good. Then there is the issue that the somewhat of a standard approach of LVDS over HDMI cables is just a one way interface, the DAC is not in charge of the clocking.

If you want to use a system where the DAC is in control, how many clocks and what frequencies do you send? The player uses two clock frequencies, one for each sample rate family, does the DAC send both frequencies and the player muxes them or does the player send a select signal and the DAC does the muxing? An HDMI interface can do the latter, but doesn't have enough pairs to send two clocks back. A DVI connector has enough pairs, but I don't know of any available DACs (other than full DIY ones) that do this.

If this is to be used between boards in the same box you have a little more flexibility, but also zero standards which makes it difficult to do something that might work for more than one specific board. You still have the issues of who is supplying the clock and where it is muxed etc.

Then there is the issue of how to select the clocking source, the simplest is just a jumper on the board, but you have take it apart to change source. Or you could have yet another clock mux, which has to driven by some control source, a switch on the front or back? A GPIO from the CPU which can be controlled from the WEBUI?

There are SOOOO many possibilities here that I am a bit leery of doing this, I'll get it right for one person, and everybody else will be up in arms because it does not work for their specific implementation.

I want to think long and hard about this one and get some sort of consensus about a specific implementation before I even think about implementing it.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
    The SPDIF interface is designed wrong, but it does still seem to work for some (maybe even the majority of) users.
    If yours doesn't work, and you are reassonably skilled with a soldering iron, I can provide instructions for how to modify the board to get it working.
    It is not an easy job, but doable.

Terry
    Hi Terry,
    I read the post over the wandboard forum and it seems that they miss wired two wires to the toslink connecter. I havenít looked at the schematics yet myself and I didnít test the toslink interface yet but I can assume my board will have the same issue as yours.
    I have an electronics background and Iím reasonably skilled with soldering so if it doesnít work Iíll be able to correct it (even though the board uses smd devices). Iíll report back here as soon as I have had the change to have a closer look at this. But thanks for the headsup!
    M-DAC -> Cambridge Audio Azur 840E -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio and 2 x SB Touch - all wireless
    1 x Wandboard Dual behind the bedroom ceiling
    1 x Wandboard Dual for msqueeze project
    1 x Wandboard Quad (will eventually become my LMS server)
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.8.1. - 1402661598
    iPeng 7 on iPhone.
    SqueezePad & iPeng 7 on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Congrats on the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    I thought I'd give everyone an update on what is happening on the hardware front. I've had a SWAMP05 put together for a couple weeks. Unfortunately it had some major software issues, most of the peripherals were turned off such as USB, S/PDIF, serial port etc. Then when CSOS R2 was released these started working.

So now I have SWAMP05 working essentially the same as the wand carrier board, I can play music over a USB DAC etc.

It is now ready for the driver development to proceed. Custom drivers are needed to output data to the DAC chip, control the clock generation, configure the CPU for external clock synching etc. The software guys are spending their time on CSOS right now, so it might be a little while before this gets started.

I have also built two other boards, one a test of the new DAC chip and the new ultra low noise regulator chip. Those regulator chips have been a major nightmare. They are in a very small QFN package which is exceedingly difficult to hand solder. I finally worked out a technique to solder them, and found they didn't work. after a couple days I finally tracked this down to me misinterpreting the data sheet, and wound up getting the pinout upside down and backwards. I spent two days trying to perform microsurgery on a board with an X-acto knife, super fine wire, a fine tip soldering iron and the most important part, a binocular microscope. After hours of work I managed to get one regulator hooked up correctly, and low and behold it actually works!

When I first put the test board together and realized the regulators weren't working, I took them off one board and put in a good old regulator I had on hand, it's not nearly as low noise as this new one, but it has much bigger pins so I could easily solder it into place.

I connected this test board up to the I2S signal from another USB DAC board and got music out of the DAC chip right off the bat. After a couple days burnin the sound was amazing, simply stunning, the best DAC I have at home right now. This thing was blowing away all my twenty times more expensive DACs.

I thought this was going to be VERY good DAC, much better than what was in the Touch, but I had no idea it was going to be this stunning. And that isn't even with the ultra low noise regulator. For a PS I was just using the Logitech supplied Touch PS. And it still sounds amazing.

I'm working on another board, which is used to program the DSP on the DAC chip so I can try different filters. The board house lost this board and had to re-fab it, so it's going to be a few more days before that is up and running.

I'm starting to work on the CSP1 schematic now that I know that at least the basic compute part of the design works. I won't finalize this until we know that we can have working drivers for the audio part.

So to summarize, there has been some progress on the hardware side, but there is still a lot of work to do, so try and be patient, this will eventually get done, and I hope it's worth the wait.

John S.
    John, congrats on the progress you are making! Sounds very promising. Keep us posted!

Hi

I've been lurking and reading since the beginning of this fantastic project. Thanks to everyone who's been involved so far.

I've decided to get a Wandboard so I can get going and hopefully offer some help with the project! It seems that in the UK I could get a Wandboard from either DENX and TEXIM. TEXIM is a little more expensive than DENX but I can't find any info on lead times on their websites. I'd really like to get my hands on a Wandboard as quickly as possible. Can anyone offer any recommendation based on experience?
    --ian

Quote Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
    I'd really like to get my hands on a Wandboard as quickly as possible. Can anyone offer any recommendation based on experience?
    Even though you are in the UK, I would consider ordering from Mouser. gb.mouser.com Total > £50, it will ship free FedEx International Priority (2-4 days to UK), VAT will be charged at checkout, so no duties to pay at this end. You might have to source a PSU locally.

EDIT: £101.83 inc VAT for Dual board, case and wi-fi antenna.
    Last edited by JackOfAll; 2013-04-18 at 06:32.

Future have them http://uk.futureelectronics.com/en/t...DUAL.aspx?IM=0 it says they are in stock (but I believe that's US stock they ship over on receipt of order). Note you need to buy the PSU and Antenna separately.

[Edit] £115 all in, so Mouser is cheaper

HTH

CW
    Last edited by Chunkywizard; 2013-04-18 at 07:01.
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Office), Radio x2 (Lounge and Bedroom)
    Server: 7.8 for Wandboard Dual
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music Information Screen | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone5/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Thanks for the replies, have ordered from Mouser.
    Cheers
    --ian