Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Rip a bluray (steve wilson)

The raven that wouldn't sing comes out soon on bluray in multi channel. I've ripped dts 5.1 cds... will it be possible to rip this bluray to play through my touch?

It's possible to rip the audio from a Blu-ray, but the Touch will only like the two-channel PCM or compressed DTS. You won't be able to use the lossless 5.1.

Will a bluray have the compressed 5.1 dts track to rip? Or just the lossless tracks

If it has Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, you will be able to convert it to DTS at full bitrate 1536kbps if I'm not mistaken), which sounds quite good. Bear in mind that in the grand majority of cases DVD carry DTS at half bitrate.

I've been able to rip from a Blu-Ray, but I ultimately have to process it into a flac file not much different than if I had a been ripping a DVD (AC3 to a 2-ch SPDIF flac file). The only difference is that I have to downsample the Bluray DTS to standard DTS as I have not been able to stream the HD audio successfully.

You can play with a lot of these formats if you use the program AudioMuxer, which will rip the audio for you as well as convert between various formats and provide the SPDIF compatible conversion. I can still have the surround, it just isn't the highest quality the Bluray format provides on its own.

By the way, Audiomuxer isn't necessarily perfect either. It seems to struggle when ripping audio from a source with multiple audiostreams. It has been hit and miss for me. I've occasionally had to rip a disc elsewhere to get the audiostream I want isolated (i.e. rip the preferred audio stream only into an mkv or vob file) and then demux the audio stream in AudioMuxer. Otherwise, Audiomuxer is freeware (it doesn't appear to be opensource, but I don't use it enough to have checked closely). It has been nice for various conversions and getting SPDIF audio files out for playing surround sound with my squeezebox.
    Last edited by emalvick; 2013-02-01 at 15:10.

Yeah but the thing is you refer to standard DTS, whereas standard DTS on DVD more often than not is 768kbps. Half the bitrate you can get out of DTS-HD downsampled.

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    Yeah but the thing is you refer to standard DTS, whereas standard DTS on DVD more often than not is 768kbps. Half the bitrate you can get out of DTS-HD downsampled.
    True... I think I've had to go to the 768kbps rate because of the bandwidth and internal conversion by my receiver not being able to handle the higher bitrate through my duet and wifi. I actually have some surround albums at a higher bit-rate DTS music than 768 my Duet tries to play but overflows its buffer within seconds. Not always but 90% of the time.

Never-the-less, for the sake of using my Squeezebox, I'm generally happy getting what I can even if it is a lower bitrate sample. If I want the HD audio, I'll throw the disc in the Bluray player. I've generally been happy with DVD quality in the past except for rare instances where the DTS just sounds too compressed or AC3 tracks which can often sound too compressed. With Audiomuxer, I just resample to the 768 standard because I know it works.

I suppose that the Touch is probably better, but thankfully a program like Audiomuxer does give options. A bit more effort-wise, but I have also used Audacity to resample music in the past although that requires a lot more steps and working with the multi-channel files, but you might have more control over what exactly is happening with your files. It still requires using some software to extract the BluRay audio tracks.