Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    The same is true for me, as explained above. The silliness came from imagining the possible outcome of an automatically (rule-based) generated artistsort tag.
    True... I don't use rule based but rather the web-based db's typically do an OK job of filling things in for me. Otherwise, I always visually make sure things make sense to me. Rule-based does open things up to the extreme outcomes that aren't even that extreme when you think about it.

But, when browsing for an artist, you don't have problems in recognizing the current letter while scrolling?
    In the meantime I do, since my library is growing. But the level of suffering is not yet big enough to change tags.
    I guess you are referring to seeing the letters even though the displayed names are not the sort? THis is part of why I focus on Album Artist; My Album ARtist is usually set to the sort tag, thus a Elton John album would display as John, Elton when browsing Album Artist. The Artist tag for any song or album would still show as ELton John (but sorted under J). But, I use the Custom-Browse plug-in to only browse by Album-Artist because that is my listening habit. When I need to find songs by a specific track artist, then I often just use the search functions. I've also found that by using the Android App SqueezeCommander, it shows me the browse letter if I am going through things fast. My library is at about 25,000 tracks with a lot of artists. The nice thing with more artists and songs is that you do scroll through letters longer and it makes it actually easier to recognize what letter you are browsing through. Last, I've also gone as far as setting a menu system such that the top level of my album artists was the first letter. THis allowed me to narrow down to one letter first and then browse the album-artists under that letter. That was mostly used when I was only using my Duet's remote. WIth the Android app, the browsing is much easier.

I generally find it is just a matter of what works. I've shifted my browsing habits based on library size and control method and tagging needs. It can be tough to adjust but it becomes easy if you use it a lot. The squeezebox system changed things quite a bit for me because a lot of the tags like the sort ones and compilation ones were not supported in my previous library manager and system. I've taken advantage of some (Sort Tags) but not all (Compilation) just because other systems (my PMP, Computer Player) are still limited. It's unfortunate that not all the software have adopted all the tags out there or have the flexibility the Squeeze system has. It hasn't stopped me from using the Squeeze system and taking advantage of some items, but I can't discard tags that I need to make my other devices work.

Quote Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
    But, I use the Custom-Browse plug-in to only browse by Album-Artist because that is my listening habit. When I need to find songs by a specific track artist, then I often just use the search functions. I've also found that by using the Android App SqueezeCommander, it shows me the browse letter if I am going through things fast. My library is at about 25,000 tracks with a lot of artists. The nice thing with more artists and songs is that you do scroll through letters longer and it makes it actually easier to recognize what letter you are browsing through. Last, I've also gone as far as setting a menu system such that the top level of my album artists was the first letter. THis allowed me to narrow down to one letter first and then browse the album-artists under that letter. That was mostly used when I was only using my Duet's remote. WIth the Android app, the browsing is much easier.
    Ok, understood. Thanks for the explanation.

If you want you can use the database of MusicBrainz.
    They have an tagger named MusicBrainz Picard.
    In "the official style guideline" they explain how you should fill there database.
    http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style
    http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Artist/Sort_Name
    Squeezebox: 2x Touch + 1x 3 Classic + 2x Radio
    Squeezelite 0.9beta7: 4x
    Logitech Media Server: Version: 7.8.0 - 1395409907
    Plugins: Album Review 2.9.9; Biography 2.9.9; Smart Mix v1.4.1; Song Info 1.1.3883; Song Lyrics 1.1.3856; Spicefly SugarCube v4.51; Trackstat v3.2.3914; YouTube 0.16
    NAS: QNAP Turbostation TS-239 Pro II (1,6Ghz, 1GB); firmware 4.0.2 Build 20130726; QPKG LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2
    Tag: MusicBrainz Picard 1.2 (Ubuntu 12.04); Puddletag 1.0.1 (Ubuntu 12.04)
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    But, when browsing for an artist, you don't have problems in recognizing the current letter while scrolling?
    In the meantime I do, since my library is growing. But the level of suffering is not yet big enough to change tags.
    Either I'm controlling using either squeeze commander or orange squeeze which both have headers for each letter or I'm using the touch screen in which case a tap of the scroll bar on the right will flash up the letter I'm on. Plus I tend to drag the scroll bar and use the pop up letter bit to get to a certain position anyway, this works out n both android apps and on the touchscreen itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobvfr400 View Post
    Either I'm controlling using either squeeze commander or orange squeeze which both have headers for each letter or I'm using the touch screen in which case a tap of the scroll bar on the right will flash up the letter I'm on. Plus I tend to drag the scroll bar and use the pop up letter bit to get to a certain position anyway, this works out n both android apps and on the touchscreen itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Nicely said; that's what I was hoping to convey (I use the same android apps).

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Tull, Jehtro it is proper name actually....
    Easy, compared to http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_The
    Squeezebox Server 7.8.0 *** Squeezebox family "3x Radio (Black/White/Red) / 2x Touch / 2x Controller / Android App / SqueezePlay" *** WD TV Live Media Player
    Synology DS209+II - DSM 4.2 - WD Caviar Red 3TB (RAID1) *** Linksys WRT320N 1Gb / UPC Horizon setupbox
    Denon PMA1500ae (analog)*** Kef iQ7 S.E *** Denon DVD DBP1610 (blu-ray) *** Little Dot MkIII / AKG K240-DF headphone

For me, i always fill out albumartist, artist, title, and album on my tags. i usually try to remember to put comp tags on comps as well.

this ensures i get a similar experience across all apps, and leaves nothing up to chance or questionable behavior of the app. most of the time artist and albumartist is the same, but i put 'cd store' type albumartist labels on VA, soundtracks and so forth. i mostly browse by albumartist, because an artist tag will have all the artists on it, i don't use multiple tags for one song.

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    For me, i always fill out albumartist, artist, title, and album on my tags. i usually try to remember to put comp tags on comps as well.

this ensures i get a similar experience across all apps, and leaves nothing up to chance or questionable behavior of the app. most of the time artist and albumartist is the same, but i put 'cd store' type albumartist labels on VA, soundtracks and so forth. i mostly browse by albumartist, because an artist tag will have all the artists on it, i don't use multiple tags for one song.
    Hello, thanks, can you elaborate on:
    >>cd store' type albumartist labels on VA, soundtracks and so forth.

No problem.

when i tag, i put all the artists on any given track into one "artist" tag. i always do it that way, for all CDs.

but since i normally browse by albumartist, thats how i think to myself where something is. i don't have a mental rolodex of my artist tags (b/c that list is much bigger), but i do basically of my albumartist tags. so while prince or billy joel might have guest artists on a lot of their songs, i only use Prince or Billy Joel for albumartist values.

for CDs that don't belong to a specific artist like Billy Joel, i use a term like Various Artists or Soundtracks or Comedy or Classical (sometimes more detailed) or something like that, which is usually related to where i think i would find something in a CD store.

this works really well for me. i could use albumartist as my "sort" tags, but i have not yet felt the need to do Hendrix, Jimi. but albumartist is the way i organize my master browsing list.

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    No problem.

when i tag, i put all the artists on any given track into one "artist" tag. i always do it that way, for all CDs.

but since i normally browse by albumartist, thats how i think to myself where something is. i don't have a mental rolodex of my artist tags (b/c that list is much bigger), but i do basically of my albumartist tags. so while prince or billy joel might have guest artists on a lot of their songs, i only use Prince or Billy Joel for albumartist values.
    Hi,

but if you do it that way, you got a big list of Artists and if you want to hear a other Version of some song with another guest artist you have a "lot" to do.
    I do it that way:
    Sampler
    Album/Album track artist Title
    Normal Album
    Artist/Album/Artist Album track Title
    And Albums with guest stars
    Artist/Album/Artist Album track Title (feat) guest
    But there is no way to go - the big thing is that the owner of the Musik is happy and find his stuff.
    Gruss

Jan