Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 439 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    I would try:

-o default:CARD=DAC -n picoreplayer

or

-o plughw:front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n piCorePlayer **********Edited

so don't use the -a option.

Steen

PS: I'm currently uploading verssion 1.02 which has a changed menu which will make it easy to use HDMI audio.
    Last edited by sbp; 2013-07-22 at 13:25.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Download site for V1.02

Quote Originally Posted by sbp View Post
    I would try:

-o default:CARD=DAC -n picoreplayer

or

-o plughw:front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n piCorePlayer **********Edited

so don't use the -a option.

Steen

PS: I'm currently uploading verssion 1.02 which has a changed menu which will make it easy to use HDMI audio.

Hi Steen,

I'll try those code later.

By the way, I think the link address on the download site doesn't take us to the right site.

Brgds - Ben
    Last edited by beeheij; 2013-07-23 at 05:49.

Hello to everyone and congratulations to sbp for the great work!

I've been trying 1.01 and 1.02 with hdmi audio output to a Pioneer VSX 919 receiver (perfectly capable of multichannel 192/24 audio).

Everything is sweet from 88/24 upto 192/24, piCoPlayer sounds wonderful with HD audio... but 44/16 or 48/16 files are stuttering every half a second or so to the point of being totally unusable. Even when not playing anything at all you can hear continuous clicks and pops (I understand that Squeezelite plays silence when not actually playing an audio file).

Any idea? Maybe something related to ALSA parameters in Squeezelite?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by takerna; 2013-07-22 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by takerna View Post
    Hello to everyone and congratulations to sbp for the great work!

I've been trying 1.01 and 1.02 with hdmi audio output to a Pioneer VSX 919 receiver (perfectly capable of multichannel 192/24 audio).

Every thing is sweet from 88/24 upto 192/24, piCoPlayer sounds wonderful with HD audio... but 44/16 or 48/16 files are stuttering every half a second or so to the point of being totally unusable. Even when not playing anything at all you can hear continuous clicks and pops (I understand that Squeezelite plays silence when not actually playing an audio file).

Any idea? Maybe something related to ALSA parameters in Squeezelite?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for the report.

I must admit that I had focus on the HD music via HDMI, so actually I did not test it with 44/16 or 48/16 files - I will have a look later today.

What about 44/24 or 48/24 do they play fine?

Steen

Hi Ben

I haven't noticed any change in sound quality with my USB-DAC, so I think we will need the opinion of others.
    I haven't changed the ALSA package so thats the same, however the Squeezelite player has been updated to version 1.2 which among other things fixed an issue with right to left confusion.

So let us hear from other users if they also feel that the sound quality in version 1.01 is worse than 1.0

Steen

PS: What is the output from option 3?
    And what string do you use in option 4?
    I have almost the same comment about the v1.01 and v1.02. With my USB DAC, the sound stage is significantly smaller in v1.01 and slightly better in v1.02. However, both newer version do not have the punch, the clarity and the sound stage of v1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    There is no upsampling here if you don't have the -u option - this is just changing the size of the samples being sent to the alsa layer - the 32 bit case adds 16 zeros to the least significant bits. Assuming the dac supports these formats natively it changes the number of bits carried to the dac and hence the amount of cpu cycles/io bandwidth needed to send the data to the dac.
    My colleague and I both think that there is a difference with my USB DAC. It sounds better if it is limited to 16bit when 16bit file is played.

Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    Pi connected to TV using HDMI, no minijack, using powerline

I put the 1.01 image on a Card and booted.
    Pi found my LMS but no luck with 192/24 or 96/24 -> silence

Normal CD (FLAC) it plays but there are smal dropouts
    Is it possible that your TV does not support 96kHz or 192kHz over HDMI connection. You'd need to check the TV EDID to be sure what is supported over HDMI or possibly Pi doesn't handle the EDID properly.

Thanks for the report.

I must admit that I had focus on the HD music via HDMI, so actually I did not test it with 44/16 or 48/16 files - I will have a look later today.

What about 44/24 or 48/24 do they play fine?

Steen
    I've not tried 44 or 48/24 as I have to reencode files with that bitdepth.

What seems to partially? solve the problem is running Squeezelite with -a 128::32. Everything plays now OK, with no clicks or pops whatsoever, but there is a slight hint of audible distortion in the high frequencies with some 44 or 48 Khz files. Certain piano piece found in Agnes Obel's Philharmonics is quite revealing.

Not sure if it is some picoplayer or Alsa problem or maybe something related to my gear :-?. Same files play smoothly when using an Squeezebox Classic sitting next to the RPi.

EDIT: I've played these audio files using Raspbmc (same RPi, same receiver, same HDMI cable). They sound ok, just the same as when using the Squeezebox.
    Last edited by takerna; 2013-07-24 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Is it possible that your TV does not support 96kHz or 192kHz over HDMI connection. You'd need to check the TV EDID to be sure what is supported over HDMI or possibly Pi doesn't handle the EDID properly.
    Very likely.... I had the same idea... going to test with my Onkyo 875 amp as well.
    Remember seing a small util that could the EDID data from a monitor; I could check the TV with that.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    Very likely.... I had the same idea... going to test with my Onkyo 875 amp as well.
    Remember seing a small util that could the EDID data from a monitor; I could check the TV with that.
    Hi
    If you change the config.txt file like this:
    # hdmi_drive=2
    to
    hdmi_drive=2

Raspberry should output sound no matter the EDID data.

Alternatively you could use piCorePlayer_V1.02.
    I have made a menu option in picoreplayer 1.02, so you simply choose this option, and then you will need to reboot because the config.txt file is only read during booting.

Steen

I have now tested HDMI in version piCorePlayer 1.01 and 1.02 - and I confirm that there is problems with low resolution audio 44.1/16 and 48/16, whereas higher resolution audio plays fine.
    For me the best results are using this for the squeezelite: -a ::16

This problem is strange, but hopefully it can be solved. At least in means that our raspberry has the horsepower to manage 192/24 audio via HDMI.

I will look into this issue...

Regarding the sound using USB-DACs I have been comparing piCorePlayer1.0 and piCorePlayer1.02 and frankly I can't say that verson1.02 is worse than the old one.
    So please report your feelings about this. It could be because of differences in our USB-DACs. So pleae state whic DAC you are using and what settings you use.

I'm also interested in you experience with various WiFi dongles.

Steen