Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 439 1231151101 ... LastLast

piCorePlayer = Squeezelite on Microcore linux. .An embedded OS in RAM with Squeezelit

Hi
    piCorePlayer is a dedicated Squezebox player (like a Duet receiver) build on a small read-only linux (Microcore) and Triodes excellent Squeezelite player running on raspberry.
    It is very small boots very fast like 15 sec. There is no writing to the SD-card and therefore no risk of corruption of your card - just pull the power if you need to. After booting everything is sitting in RAM - and you can even remove the SD-card (but you need it for rebooting).

You can control it via your smartphone, Ipad or similar or even your Squeezebox Duet receiver will control piCorePlayer - just like any other Squeezebox player.

It is easily configured through any browser using its web-GUI:

Name:  squeezelite.JPG
Views: 32593
Size:  105.9 KB

Please visit the piCorePlayer web-pages for update and How-to: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

I think the best audio quality is obtained by using a I2S-connected audio card.

You can use either a HiFiBerry DAC:
    Name:  hbdac.jpg
Views: 32383
Size:  40.5 KB

or a card based on the ES9023 chip like this one:
    Name:  8396_ES9023_I2S_DAC_4.jpg
Views: 32690
Size:  118.6 KB

If you want digital out via SPDIF or Toslink you will need a HiFIBerry Digi:
    Name:  hifiberrydigi.jpg
Views: 32356
Size:  42.9 KB

USB-DACs are also possible - please check on piCorePlayers web-page which USB-DAC have been reported to be working good with piCorePlayer:

You can use it wired via LAN cable or wireless via WiFi-adaptor.

Please try it and report your findings.

Steen
    Last edited by sbp; 2014-03-26 at 12:20.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

The "HOW-TO" make the piCoPlayer can be found here:
    The original post is here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post732506

And here is a copy of the documentation:

Burn the Picore image to a CF card

As Picore is running in read only mode om a partition called mmcblk0p1 you need to make another partition where it can have all the configuration files and the extensions and the Squeezelite player.
    In order to make such a partition I did this (It was here I had the most difficulties) Each line is the commands I used:

fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
    n new
    p primary
    2 partition number 1-4
    6 first cylinder
    +20M I made a 20 MB partition for this - you could choose any size you want (up to the CF-card size)
    t change partition Id
    ........partition number - choose 2
    83 linux file system
    w to write the changes to the card

sudo reboot

Next I formated it to the ext4 format:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p2

sudo reboot

Then you need to define where Picore will find your extensions, you do that by this command:
    tce-setdrive

And then you choose 2= /mnt/mmcblk0p2

Download Squeezelite and put in a writeable place like mnt/mmcblk0p2, you can so that by this command

This is the correct link that should be used in the link in the next line, but //squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv6hf -P /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce But the forum seems to truncate the link in the next line
    wget http://squeezelite.googlecode.com/fi...zelite-armv6hf -P /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce

Then I had some problems that squeezelite would not start - it turned out that I had to allow it to be executed - using this command
    chmod 755 /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf

You need to install Alsa, flac libmad and libvorbis. You do that by using the package manager in Picore called tce. Therefor at command promt write:
    tce
    s search
    a (a in order to search for Alsa) then Enter
    select alsa.tcz (at present no 4) enter
    q quit
    i install

s search
    f (f in order to find flac.tcz (present no 9)) Enter
    9 enter
    q quit
    i install

s search
    l (l in order to find libmad.tcz (presently no 57)) Enter
    57 enter
    q quit
    i install

s search
    l (l in order to find libvorbis.tcz (presently no 88))
    88 enter
    q quit
    i install

sudo reboot

Then in order to automatically to start Squeezelite everytime the Raspberry reboot, you need to add this program to the bootlocal file which is used for this purpose.
    As I have been doing this without GUI the only editor present is the vi editor, which also gave me a hard time. But these are the command you have to use:

sudo vi /opt/bootlocal.sh
    Then pres i (for insert)
    then move the cursor to the first empty line and write:
    sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -a 80:4
    amixer set PCM 400 unmute

Press "esc" in order to get out of "insert mode"
    Then type
    :wq and Enter - in order to save and exit vi

If you make an error and don't want to save. Then use command :q!

These changes is not actually written to the bootlocal.sh file (as it is in read only mode) but instead the changes is saved another place and during reboot used - so in order to get Picore to save these changes and use them the next time you reboot you have to do a manual backup.

So at command promt type
    filetool.sh -b

And now you can reboot and your Raspberry should start Squeezelite. I have tried different Alsa buffer sizes and I think that 80:4 is fine - for me the Squeezelite is in perfect sync with both a Duet and A Logitech radio, if I use to high values like 500:4 or 200:4 the sync is not as perfect. Using 50:4 resulted in some stuttering in the sound

Now you have a dedicated very small Squeezelite player, which boots very rapidly, it doesn't use swap and can survive that you just pull the power plug - so it is almost as an embedded hardware player, like a Duet.

Regards
    Steen

As suggested by truehl here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post732607

"The other very small change I made is, I placed this line in /opt/bootlocal.sh
    amixer set PCM 400 unmute

This slides up the tune from the Pi."

To save it use:
    filetool.sh -b
    Last edited by sbp; 2013-04-08 at 12:55.

Hi Thomas.

We were talking about how to make the installation of this player easier.

I have found out that when yo have a good working version with all the installed extensions and the changes you have made to various files, all these changes are saved in the /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce directory. So if you make a copy of this directory and copy it to a new CF-card you will have a clone of the first CF-card.

So infact I could send you a copy of my tce directory and you would have a working player.

So if you simply burn the piCore image to the CF-card and make the /mnt/mmcblk0p2 patition, then you can just copy your TCE directory to here (from , and then after a reboot you have a working piCoPlayer.

So this part seems easy.

Next I will look into the SSH server, but also a working WiFi would be nice (I have read somewher that it should be possible as well)

Steen

PS: do you have the possibility to host a copy of this tce directory, so that interested people could download it to their raspberry running piCore?
    Last edited by sbp; 2013-01-10 at 12:07.

HOW TO get SSH server Dropbear working

I order to get access from another computer using Putty you need a SSH server on the Raspberry running piCoPlayer.

Thomas (Truehl) and I had some trouble getting this to work but here is how to do it:

Install Dropbear like this.

At the command promt
    tce

s search
    d Dropbear - choose the correct [number]
    [number] Enter
    q quit
    i install

Then make a password for user tc like this:
    At command promt write:
    passwd
    Then write you password - twice

Then add these three lines to opt/.filetool.lst
    etc/passwd
    etc/shadow
    etc/dropbear

Then add this line to /opt/bootlocal.sh
    /usr/local/etc/init.d/dropbear start

next backup the changes:
    filetool.sh -b

Then reboot.
    sudo reboot

And now you can use Putty from another computer to connect to your raspberry
    Last edited by sbp; 2013-01-10 at 15:28.

WiFi?

Hi Thomas, as we discussed the next option we should add is probably WiFi.

I don't have a WiFi adaptor, so which one would you suggest that I buy?

There seems to be a WiFi package in the piCore extension see here: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index...c,14491.0.html

So it might not be that difficult.

Steen

Hi I'm curious, has anybody tried this with an external USB audio dac?

Hi sbp,

Thank you very much for sharing this. I am going to try this, and I will try to use an USB dac too.
    This will be perfect for my portable radio squeezelite player.
    Fast boot times and just pull the plug to stop it, sounds great!

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.

Yes!!

I've got it working. Squeezelite is now playing through my USB dac!

Now let's see if I can get wifi to work.

Greetings,

Gerrelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrelt View Post
    Hi sbp,

Thank you very much for sharing this. I am going to try this, and I will try to use an USB dac too.
    This will be perfect for my portable radio squeezelite player.
    Fast boot times and just pull the plug to stop it, sounds great!

Greetings,
    Gerrelt.
    Thank you for the feedback , I have just ordered a USB dac, so hopefully in a few days I will know if it works for me as well.

Owh, btw, this is how I did it... :-)

Execute this command:
    Code:
    sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -l
    Ouput example:

Code:
    tc@box:~$ sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -l
    Output devices:
      null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
      default:CARD=Set               - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=Set            - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
      front:CARD=Set,DEV=0           - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - Front speakers
      surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
      surround41:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround50:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
      surround51:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
      surround71:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
      iec958:CARD=Set,DEV=0          - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
      default:CARD=ALSA              - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
      sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

tc@box:~$
    Choose the right version of the device, in my case "front:CARD=Set,DEV=0".

Then add this to the startup command in bootlocal.sh, so open the file:
    Code:
    sudo vi /opt/bootlocal.sh
    And change the squeezelite command line to look like this:
    Code:
    sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/squeezelite-armv6hf -o front:CARD=Set,DEV=0 -n Strawberry_Portable -m 00:11:95:00:54:12 -a 80:4
    I used the -o option to tell squeezelite which device to use.
    I also gave this squeezelite player a name here ("Strawberry_Portable") and assigned a mac address to this squeezeltie player ("00:11:95:00:54:12"). But that is not needed for using the usb dac.

After this save the file (escape :wq).

Don't forget to backup all this by executing this command ( if forgot this the first time... ) :
    Code:
    filetool.sh -b
    And after a reboot (sudo reboot), squeezelite started and played through my USB dac.