Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 6 ready for download

Hi folks,

GREAT NEWS!

I'm very happy to tell you that SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 6 is now ready for download. I've changed a lot of details in the scripts, addressing both, usability and functions.

SqueezePlug Media-Server version 6 is based on the official foundation images and is available in two versions:
    - Raspbian “wheezy” (2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip)
    - Soft-float Debian “wheezy” (2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.zip)

Why different versions?
    There are two versions of SqueezePlug 6: One Hard-Float (the standard version) and one Soft-Float. Hard-Float will give you an extra kick of performance, Soft-Float the compatibility to things not supported for Hard-Float, like Spotify and others. You can't switch between these versions, you have to decide in the beginning. If you don't like to use graphical x-stuff, which is unnecessary for SqueezePlug the performance of the Soft-Float version is absolutely o.k. So choose the Soft-Float version only if you like to use Spotify or some other Hard-Float incompatible software. It will be also possible to "upgrade" from the foundation images to Squeezeplug in near future.

What is SqueezePlug?
    SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:
    - Logitech Media Server (f.k.a. Slimserver, SqueezeBox Server)
    - MiniDLNA
    - MPD
    - Mediatomb
    - Twonky
    - Forked DAAPD

And SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-clients or players:
    - SqueezeSlave
    - SqueezeLite
    - SqueezePlay (experimental)
    - Shairport
    - Omxplayer

And SqueezePlug offers some other services:
    - Crashplan
    - Owncloud
    - Webmin
    - Access-Point functionality

All these servers and players are ready to install by just a click.

Included features are:
    - Scripts for all SqueezePlug configurations
    - Expand RootFS automatically
    - Create a Swap File
    - Change Timezone, Hostname, Password, SSH-Keys,
    - Configure Network Settings incl. Access-Point
    - Support for wireless USB-Sticks
    - Change Overclocking and Memory Spilt
    - Handling of external drives
    - Cloning SD-Cards
    - Samba Server already included
    - HD-Idle included
    - Update functions included
    - Test and Change audio settings

All official Raspbian / Wheezy features like X-Server are available, nothing is purged by default. X-Server stuff can be deleted automatically if you like.

How to install SqueezePlug?
    The Image comes as 3 GB! So it fits on 4 GB SD-Cards, not on 2 GB. 3 GB is chosen for compatibility with different sizes of 4 GB SD-Cards. You should expand the SD-Card to it's full size during the initial setup.

1. Download, unzip and burn the sd-card
    2. Start the Pi and find out the IP-Address (e.g. from an attached monitor, from your router or a tools like Advanced IP Scanner v2).
    3. login with user: root and pw: nosoup4u
    4. Follow the initial steps
    a. Update SqueezePlug
    b. Expand the Root-Filesystem to the maximum SD-Card size
    5. type "setup" and choose the options you need and the scripts will do the rest for you.

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de
    Look for:
    SqueezePlug_HF_600.img the Hard-Float version or
    SqueezePlug_SF_600.img the Soft-Float version.

I'll update my Wiki and videos later to regarding Raspberry Pi version 6.

There will be no more new images for SheevaPlug, DockStar and GoFlex Net!

Have fun,
    Greetings,
    Thomas

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=3R2M49ARYWK6C
    thanks a lot!
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Upgrade from 5.0?

Is there any way to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0? I'm running 5.0 and tried the upgrade option from the menu. It told me my software was already up-to-date.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidfox2116 View Post
    Is there any way to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0? I'm running 5.0 and tried the upgrade option from the menu. It told me my software was already up-to-date.

Thanks
    sorry no, you have to start from scratch!
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Quote Originally Posted by truehl View Post
    Soft-Float the compatibility to things not supported for Hard-Float, like Spotify and others.
    What are the others? Is there somewhere I can look to see full features? Is Rhapsody supported in either version? If not, are there any plans to in the near future?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TechLife; 2013-01-12 at 15:04.

Can I run multiple squeezeslaves on the same Pi?

First -- thanks very much for putting this package together -- it might life really easy to add another zone to my logitech-based music system.

[Edit: After a bit of simple investigation, it appears that it should be trivial to do what I want.]

Now that I have the bug, I want to add another zone (or three), and I was wondering if I could use the same Raspberry Pi with just a USB Audio dongle for the second SqueezeSlave? I could try and hack this together myself, but I was wondering if anybody else has already suceeded in doing this.

Thanks

Philip

p.s. I hadn't realized how cheap small (20W) 12v audio amps are -- under $15!
    Last edited by pjsg; 2013-01-13 at 18:13.

Hi,

first of all thank you so much for the Squeezeplug work. I installed it today and it just works :-)
    I just wanna get a little extra performance out of it so I would like to overclock the raspberry.

I saw there is an option in the menu for overclocking with an advise which says that overclocking will void the warranty.
    As far as I know, overclocking up to 1 GHz is supported. Is the overclocking in your squeezeplug software done in the same way, like the supported one?

Thans for your answer.

Jörn

Quote Originally Posted by jornography View Post
    Hi,

first of all thank you so much for the Squeezeplug work. I installed it today and it just works :-)
    I just wanna get a little extra performance out of it so I would like to overclock the raspberry.

I saw there is an option in the menu for overclocking with an advise which says that overclocking will void the warranty.
    As far as I know, overclocking up to 1 GHz is supported. Is the overclocking in your squeezeplug software done in the same way, like the supported one?

Thans for your answer.

Jörn
    Yes, it is! As far as I know you will not break the warranty, the warning is for my own safety!
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Thanks for your answer. Do you have any experience regarding the performance impact of overclocking?
    Do you know any other performance tweaks? E.g. is it worth it to create a swap file,...?

Thanks
    Jörn

Quote Originally Posted by jornography View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Do you have any experience regarding the performance impact of overclocking?
    Do you know any other performance tweaks? E.g. is it worth it to create a swap file,...?

Thanks
    Jörn
    A Swap File is already activated. You should use a new, 512 MB RAM Raspberry. The RAM for the GPU should be set to 16 MB (the minimum) but that's already set in my images. For best performance you should take the HardFloat version. For best compatibility the SF version. Keep in mind that Spotify only works with the SF version.

The performance is very good from my own opinion. The Web-Interface of the LMS-Server is slow, but that's what I saw on all other devices. So if you can, don't use it, use other remote controls (hardware or software). For Software I like SqueezePlay for a PC.
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Thanks again for your quick reply. Do you have any experience regarding different fs types for the external storage? I want to use 2 64GB USB Sticks and am now trying to evaluate, which fs type would be the best in regards of performance and stability (and especially regarding what happens, if the power is lost).

Is there any problem with powering off the device in general? I have one multiple socket, which I turn off when I am not at home to save energy and I do not want to shutdown each time before leaving home.

Thanks
    Jörn