Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    Please, keep your piehole filled with pie. Tis the season. Are you using the preview builds? Any fix will make it's appearance there first.
    :-)
    and yes - I use / update the preview builds.
    Heiner
    Heiner
    My system:
    LMS 7.9 on modded Open Peak Joggler running Roobarbs SqueezePlay OS.
    1 x Slimp3
    5 x Squeezebox Classic
    1 x Controller
    2 x Squeeze Commander (on 2 rooted Nook Touch e-reader)
    X x Squeezeplay & Jivelites on various PC's & Laptops

Just installed 1.3.1 - often getting connection timeouts...

Hi there...

So I just installed Orange Squeeze 1.3.1 on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.2.1).

Very often (though not every time), when I tried to connect to mysqueezebox.com or my own LMS server, Orange Squeeze tries to connect, and then says "Timeout waiting for server connection to complete".

Then, other times, it connects.

Is this a known issue? It is rather frustrating. Squeeze Commander has never had any problems connecting in my home environment like this.

- Tim
    Integra Integrated Stereo Amp / Home Built Intel-based HTPC (running LMS) w/BluRay Player / Panasonic Viera TV
    Squeezebox Duet (Received in living room attached to stereo amp, Controller in bedroom).
    Squeezebox Boom in Storage (gift from Slim Devices after they came to my home to debug a networking issue).
    Squeezebox 3 in Bedroom, attached to small "executive" stereo system with bookshelf speakers mounted on wall.
    Squeezebox Radio in Bedroom, next to bed, used as radio alarm.

Why does Orange Squeeze have background processes running?

After installing Orange Squeeze, I see it has several processes/services running, even when I'm not using it. Is there any way to configure it to NOT have these running if the app is not running in the foreground? I hate it when apps run all the time like that.

- Tim
    Integra Integrated Stereo Amp / Home Built Intel-based HTPC (running LMS) w/BluRay Player / Panasonic Viera TV
    Squeezebox Duet (Received in living room attached to stereo amp, Controller in bedroom).
    Squeezebox Boom in Storage (gift from Slim Devices after they came to my home to debug a networking issue).
    Squeezebox 3 in Bedroom, attached to small "executive" stereo system with bookshelf speakers mounted on wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    After installing Orange Squeeze, I see it has several processes/services running, even when I'm not using it. Is there any way to configure it to NOT have these running if the app is not running in the foreground? I hate it when apps run all the time like that.
    First off, don't assume that a service running means that there is anything happening or power drain from the process. It doesn't.

One service runs all the time: the power management service. It simply receives notifications when the screen turns on and off, wifi comes up and down, etc. There are no active running threads or connections associated with this service and it will not take any cpu or draw any power. There is no way to disable this although you could try experimenting with task killers, etc. to kill it if you like. It won't accomplish anything, but do what you like. It will break some of the app behavior if this service is not running (specifically, power saving features).

There is a second service and that maintains a connection to the server. You absolutely need this if you use the widgets at all. If you don't use the widgets and are OK with the connection being dropped every time Orange Squeeze moves to the background (any task comes in front of it) then you can set the connection timeout in the preferences to a very low value. The default will have the service shut itself down after a minute or two of the app being in the background (and no widgets).

My advice: before you spent too much time worrying about it, check your device power management screen to see if the app is actually taking any significant power. If it's not taking power, then it's also not slowing your device down because cpu usage = power drain. You can only do these tests if the device is running off battery, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    So I just installed Orange Squeeze 1.3.1 on my Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.2.1).
    I have the same device.

Very often (though not every time), when I tried to connect to mysqueezebox.com or my own LMS server, Orange Squeeze tries to connect, and then says "Timeout waiting for server connection to complete".
    This has been a problem in the past, but I haven't seen it lately. What server version are you running? FWIW, I start and stop the app dozens of times per day and don't see it. It doesn't improve your experience -- sorry. :-)

One thing about the Galaxy Nexus is that the Wifi performance/range is horrible. I had to install a repeater so that I could use the device reliably in my office, and my Macbook Pro has a very high signal.

It could be that Orange Squeeze is less tolerant of requests that go unanswered or are "lost" than Squeeze Commander, or it could be a race condition that simply doesn't expose itself in my testing.

The more details I can get about your situation, the better. Enable "Verbose Logging" in advanced preferences, and when you get a timeout situation to occur, go back to preferences and hit "submit logs". Fill in your email address or some other identifier (can just be tbessie) so that I can associate the requests to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Just press and hold for a second or two on any Artist, Album, Track, or Album art.
    Ah...

I knew it must be there somewhere!

I have turned on the context sensitive tips until I get used to it.
    Love the interface by the way, very intelligent use of the space in portrait mode.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

db122 - Thanks for all the info! I won't worry about the background processes, and will just take your word for it. You know, old engineer's habit, suspicion of unknown processes. :-)

As for the connection issues - yeah, I've notice that my Galaxy Nexus has been having WiFi connectivity issues; they seemed to have gotten worse when I upgraded to Jelly Bean (and I've seen complaints about this specific issue online). I also upgraded my router's firmware around the same time, so I didn't want to pin it on the phone only, but if others have had WiFi problems with this device (dropouts when I'm just around the corner from the router, for example), then that seems a likely culprit.

I'll keep using Orange Squeeze and see if this keeps happening, especially when I'm right next to the router. If it does keep happening, I'll turn on the log and send it to you.

Thanks again for your voluminous and helpful replies! :-)

- Tim

I'm still occasionally seeing SqueezePlayer staying active forever in the background even if it's not playing. I'm using the preview (obviously have the live version, too, but my widgets are generated using the preview so I assume that's what's running).

SqueezePlayer the last time had a power state of "on", I then went into the App and turned it off and 15 min later it was gone, don't know which part (opening the App or powering off the player) did the trick.

It's still unreliable behavior overall, I'm seeing this in about one of 4 uses. Android 4.2.1 on Nexus 7.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

You do have the tablets on battery all the time? The timeout is only enabled when on batteries.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Ah. I did have it on battery when I noticed it, but it might have been charging when it was used the last time. Might it not notice the charging state change later
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch