Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

ANN: Orange Squeeze 1.3.0 released!

I'm pleased to announce the release of version 1.3.0 of Orange Squeeze, our Android-based remote control for Logitech Media Server Squeezebox devices.

Where can I get it?

What's new?
    • Updated visual styling
    • Introduction of the "compact" theme selection in preferences, along with refinements to the classic theme.
    • Ability to download tracks to your local device (Android 2.3/Gingerbread and higher).
    • Context menu available on now playing screen and from current playlist items.
    • Sleep capability for players
    • Two widgets available for your home screen. On Android 4.2 (Jellybean) and higher, these widgets may be placed on the lockscreen.
    • Players can be moved between servers from the player management screen.
    • Global search, now allows searching more music sources like Mog and last.fm. Searches can automatically open up branches that you use.

If you discover bugs or if you have features that you would like to see added, please file them at http://www.orangebikelabs.com/trac/orangesqueeze.

1.3.0 requires Android 2.1 or higher. For you 2-3 users using the HTC G1 or similar devices, I hope you can struggle by with 1.2.9.

The app is still only $2.99.

Also, big thanks to everyone who downloaded and tested the Orange Squeeze Preview release. This open beta program was a huge success and will definitely continue!
    Last edited by db122; 2012-12-05 at 08:50.

What's next

What's next? In all likelihood, a few bug fix releases. I hope not "emergency" ones, but this is the first time a lot of people will be using 1.3.0. We will try to keep the preview builds up-to-date at the same time.

So, I should go back to using the 'orginal' orange squeeze that I purchased instead of the beta version?

Quote Originally Posted by fphredd View Post
    So, I should go back to using the 'orginal' orange squeeze that I purchased instead of the beta version?
    Great question -- you can do whatever you like.

If you want to take a break from having both installed, feel free to do so and stick with the non-preview release. For at least a few weeks, the releases will be pretty much functionally identical. The preview release *may* get non-critical bug fixes a bit earlier.

I installed this update recently. The new download feature is great but not up to the same standard as the Squeezecommander - but using the Android download manager is a nice touch.#

Things missing for me, and these are probably on your list, are:

1. Download path customisation (I use a BASE/Artist/Album/ type tree)
    2. Download single files
    3. Ability to cancel some/all of the downloads directly from the app

Having a "Compilations" or "VA" intelligence built in for those downloaded tracks that have a COMPILATION metadata tag is also a strongly desirable feature

Thanks for the work!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
    1. Download path customisation (I use a BASE/Artist/Album/ type tree)
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from and I knew someone would mention it right away. Downloading tracks is a mostly secondary (even tertiary) function of the app. There are many free id3 tagger/renamers for Android that would do a better job than we ever could in organizing your files. I would suggest that you download tracks to a folder of your choice (that is customizable) and then use the taggers to get them exactly how you want. Or, certainly keep using SqueezeCommander for those purposes.

Most people will rely on apps like Google Music or other tag-based music players, so the filenames themselves are irrelevant.

2. Download single files
    You can deselect the files you don't want to download -- I intended to add a select all/deselect all from the cataloged list of downloads. You can also select a single file and download it from music folder, can't you?

3. Ability to cancel some/all of the downloads directly from the app
    Yes, just didn't make the cut for this release.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by db122; 2012-12-06 at 08:00. Reason: s/Google Play/Google Music/

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    You can also select a single file and download it from music folder, can't you?
    Must be broken, if I select a single track to download, I just see "Download 0 track(s)".
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Must be broken, if I select a single track to download, I just see "Download 0 track(s)".
    Sounds like it's broken to me.

A little levity...

I know there are lots of programmers in the crowd, I think we can all agree that this is pretty accurate. We truly are terrible, but only because we're human. So, I apologize in advance when one of these comes out of my [virtual] mouth. :-)

https://plus.google.com/102786751626...ts/XTNGXUDAjmJ

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    I know there are lots of programmers in the crowd, I think we can all agree that this is pretty accurate. We truly are terrible, but only because we're human. So, I apologize in advance when one of these comes out of my [virtual] mouth. :-)

https://plus.google.com/102786751626...ts/XTNGXUDAjmJ
    and these mostly work as the top 20 responses to posts for help on this forum too. (and I plead guilty to several of them!)
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify