Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Client for Squeezebox server

Since the worst news of all time..."Logitech killing Squeezebox line..." I am searching for couple of music clients to add to my multiroom system.

Are there any reliable hardware with SPDIF optical output that can run squeezeslave, softsqueeze or adnroid app "Squeeze Player" or XBMC (squeezeslave)??

I have looked at lot of posts for raspberry pi to plug pc and Apple tv2 running xbmc but can't find anything with good info. for me to dive in and get it...would be nice to get some recommend a hardware and software setup that works to achieve my goal, my budge is up ´┐Ż100 max.

I could buy squeezebox touch but they are at premium price right now.

Thanks

... also looking for a good alternative HW platform ...

Hi Yap,

I am also looking for a suitable (and affordable) HW platform to add som more players to my current setup (1 Boom, 1 Radio, 2 Receivers and 1 Controller).

I am considering a cheap WiFi router that can run openWRT and Squeezeslave, like the TL-WR703N for approx. 20 US$/EU. This would require connecting a USB sound card supported by Linux. There is a plethora of cheap USB cards with different C-Media chipsets, but these seem to either provide sound quality that's only good for phone calls (but not for music) or have issues with Linux drivers (or both). The more "expensive" ones for ~10 US$/EU (typically labeled "7.1 sound") even provide optical SPDIF out (via mini TRS jack), but I did not check these yet.

I will try with either a Logilink or Soundblaster Play! USB card (both ~20 US$/EU each) in combination with the TL-WR703N and report back (might take a week or two, though).

In the meantime I am looking forward to suggestions for suitable HW alternatives and USB sound cards as well as experience with running them via Squeezeslave on openWRT.

Many thanks

Ben
    Last edited by superbonham; 2012-11-26 at 18:11.

Hi,

have you found a hardware player alternative already? I'm searching for one too. Is there a player from Sonos or any sound bridge that speaks with the Squeezebox Server?

Look at the PogoPlug/SqueezeLite solution Andrew from Vortexbox has come up with, named VAMP. A couple of buffer tweaks and you can synchronise it well with hardware players, and you can choose your own USB DAC or SPDIF interface.

It works really well.
    Receiver stuck at blue LED state after reboot? Please vote for bug 17462

Quote Originally Posted by paulster View Post
    Look at the PogoPlug/SqueezeLite solution Andrew from Vortexbox has come up with, named VAMP. A couple of buffer tweaks and you can synchronise it well with hardware players, and you can choose your own USB DAC or SPDIF interface.

It works really well.
    Yes don't miss squeezelite the most versital soft player we have
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hi,

thanks for the hint to the VAMP project that sounds very interesting. But it seems that the Pogobox is not available any more at least not in Europe. I don't want to switch from the SB hardware to another hardware that won't be available in future. Is there another alternative like VAMP or even "real" products that work with LMS?

Thanks,
    Frank

You could get one of the 'plug' computers that are readily available in Europe and find the corresponding SqueezePlug distribution for it. Then just add SqueezeLite and you have a PogoPlug/VAMP but on different hardware.

The nice thing about these is they are community supported and hardware independent, so if one manufacturer drops their hardware then you just use a different platform.

Try SqueezeLite on one of your own computers (e.g. a Mac or Windows laptop) and you'll see how good it is.

I really wouldn't worry about using 'branded' hardware any longer. There's just no need.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Can you suggest a plug hardware? This topic is new to me, I never had a plug hardware before...

Just search for squeezeplug here. There are a whole load of threads on it, and various hardware options available.

I haven't used any of them myself so I'm not up to speed with which are the current models, what's available in Europe versus the US, what the best option would be for a client versus a server, etc. (this originally started when somebody realised you could run the Squeezebox Server on one of these little things).