Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signor_rossi
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ButC
    I actually hadn't really thought of that possibility; that is, for me, of course the most convenient way... After reading up on Vortexbox I immediately got stuck on it being able to rip blurays... which could come in handy. Anyone that has any experience from ripping those with Vortexbox?
    The only possibility to rip BDs under Linux I know of (and which worked for me) is MakeMKV (http://makemkv.com/). It is not free software, but you can get an official temporary license key on their homepage as long as it is in beta state.

Comment

• Mnyb
      • Feb 2006

Ime I've found that with headless linux any hardware with x86 cpu single core 1,2mHz 1GB ram is sufficient if you have say 3-6 squeezeboxes .

I've now using a 2*core N36 HP microserver ,wich is perfect for my needs
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
      Bedroom/Office: Boom
      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• ButC
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by signor_rossi
        The only possibility to rip BDs under Linux I know of (and which worked for me) is MakeMKV (http://makemkv.com/). It is not free software, but you can get an official temporary license key on their homepage as long as it is in beta state.
        Okey, when I read through it I just got the impression MakeMKV was bundled with Vortexbox. Then it's probably better to get an external bluray for my pc and do eventual ripping that way...
        //Johan

Windows 10
        Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0 - 1666760196 @ Wed Oct 26 07:17:03 WEDT 2022
        Local Player Plugin (Squeezelite)
        Intel Compute Stick M3

Comment

• ButC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mnyb
          Ime I've found that with headless linux any hardware with x86 cpu single core 1,2mHz 1GB ram is sufficient if you have say 3-6 squeezeboxes .

I've now using a 2*core N36 HP microserver ,wich is perfect for my needs
          That's good to hear, then one can focus on getting something with a low power consumption.
          //Johan

Windows 10
          Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0 - 1666760196 @ Wed Oct 26 07:17:03 WEDT 2022
          Intel Compute Stick M3

Comment

• ButC
            • Sep 2012

How about the adding of direct url radio stations in Vortexbox? This is probably what I'll be using the most.
            //Johan

Windows 10
            Intel Compute Stick M3

Comment

• JJZolx
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by taalas
              I am currently planning to restructure my audio streaming infrastructure and in the process want to re-rip my CD collection...I used to rip CDs using EAC and encoding to high bitrate MP3s and later AACs and also changed my file naming scheme in the process. LMS runs on a QNAP NAS, clients are a Squeezebox Touch (->Denon 1912->Dynaudio Excite) and a Squeezebox Radio. Everything runs very smoothly, I would really like to rerip my CD collection to FLAC and in the process have a cleaner and more homogenous data source.
              Keep using EAC for the rips. You can do the ripping and tagging from any PC on your network.

Having found the Vortexbox project, this seems like a good solution for me. I am now looking for hardware recommendations to realize a Vortexbox server for my music and was hoping that someone can give me some hints I do have a HP ProLiant Microserver as an unRAID which serves my video files, this would be a good candidate for Vortexbox imho, I would prefer a smaller solution though. Also, which DVD drives are good to use?
              Why run two servers? I would just install LMS and on the MicroServer and be done. If you really want to keep them separate, continue to run LMS on the NAS. I can't see any good reason to use Vortexbox.

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Originally posted by JJZolx
                Keep using EAC for the rips. You can do the ripping and tagging from any PC on your network.

Why run two servers? I would just install LMS and on the MicroServer and be done. If you really want to keep them separate, continue to run LMS on the NAS. I can't see any good reason to use Vortexbox.
                Agree. I use dbpa for my rips, then copy over the network to my VBA. I prefer dbpa (or EAC) because they use AccurateRip. VB does not. This said, one can now check accuraterip in batch mode for thousands of albums (using either foorbar2000 verify integrity component or PerfectTunes (from the maker of dbpa).

And yes, VB is simply a computer (with no need for keyboard or monitor) running a version of linux (fedora) that is setup to already have installed things one uses (like LMS, etc.). I do like mine, but there is nothing magical about them.
                Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• garym
                  • May 2008

Okey, when I read through it I just got the impression MakeMKV was bundled with Vortexbox. Then it's probably better to get an external bluray for my pc and do eventual ripping that way...
                  MakeMKV is bundled as part of Vortexbox. That's what I use to rip DVDs with VB. I had a temporary license, but eventually bought a license for MakeMKV.
                  Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                  Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                  Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

I hope one could use an external bluray? How about attaching ones PS3 and using it for playing blueray discs? And one more question: does it work well to add direct url radio stations in Vortexbox?
                    I suppose one can connect an external drive. Not sure, never tried. Regarding attaching PS3 to VB. No, the VB is a computer acting as a SERVER. It is connected to your router via ethernet. Then the VB server STREAMS audio and video to network players (like squeezeboxes, boxeebox for video, and I suppose PS3 for video).

Yes, LMS is running in VB just like it runs on windows, etc. You simply save radio station direct URLs as favorites just as you do in LMS (as in fact you *are* using LMS).

Comment

• taalas
                      • Jan 2012

Wow, thanks for the many replies. I was away for a couple of day and was blown away how crowded the thread has become ^^

To answer some:

The main reason I wanted to have a new box for the reripping progress is a matter of the rooms involved. Reripping all discs will take some time and I would like to put the new server next to the CDs to rip some whenever I have the time. I am completely aware that VB ist "just" a stripped down Fedora with a couple of software packages, but on the other hand that's the beauty of it _if_ it works as well as advertised.

The reason I am not using LMS on my HP is simple: it runs an unRAID and I want to keep that distribution as clean as possible, it currently is what it is: a fileserver only. All network services (LMS, sabnzbd, sickbeard, ...) run on another system.

Another HP looks like one of the best solutions for the price difference alone, I will never be able to build an ITX system with a good quality case for nowhere near the price of an N40. I could buy one of the HTPC barebones that currently are very popular (saw a very cheap arctic cooling one lately). These are a lot smaller but wouldn't accomodate a 3.5" HD. Still, what I would like the most is a small form factor ITX system with an optical drive, probably fanless, which I could just put into the living room for the time being to rip the CD collection and then take upstairs later to server the music.

About BD ripping: yes, VB simply includes MakeMKV and updates to the latest betas of this package...it's a good solution imho, since MakeMKV works very well. Nothing that can't be done on any other platform though...

Comment

• edwin2006
                        • May 2017

Any suggestions for the cd/DVD part? Specific brand/model to use?
                        SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
                        Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
                        Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• d6jg
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by taalas
                          Wow, thanks for the many replies. I was away for a couple of day and was blown away how crowded the thread has become ^^

To answer some:

The main reason I wanted to have a new box for the reripping progress is a matter of the rooms involved. Reripping all discs will take some time and I would like to put the new server next to the CDs to rip some whenever I have the time. I am completely aware that VB ist "just" a stripped down Fedora with a couple of software packages, but on the other hand that's the beauty of it _if_ it works as well as advertised.

The reason I am not using LMS on my HP is simple: it runs an unRAID and I want to keep that distribution as clean as possible, it currently is what it is: a fileserver only. All network services (LMS, sabnzbd, sickbeard, ...) run on another system.

Another HP looks like one of the best solutions for the price difference alone, I will never be able to build an ITX system with a good quality case for nowhere near the price of an N40. I could buy one of the HTPC barebones that currently are very popular (saw a very cheap arctic cooling one lately). These are a lot smaller but wouldn't accomodate a 3.5" HD. Still, what I would like the most is a small form factor ITX system with an optical drive, probably fanless, which I could just put into the living room for the time being to rip the CD collection and then take upstairs later to server the music.

About BD ripping: yes, VB simply includes MakeMKV and updates to the latest betas of this package...it's a good solution imho, since MakeMKV works very well. Nothing that can't be done on any other platform though...
                          Interesting discussion.
                          I used to use a VB2.3 box for LMS but I had hacked it so that CDs ripped on it are saved direct to my NAS and pointed LMS at the network mounted drives of my NAS (via NFS). I wrote a HowTo on the hacking bit that I know has been used by others to hack their VB2.3 installs in a similar way.
                          After Spotty came along I completely retired the VB as my LMS server - switched off LMS on boot - and switched to a dedicated Pi3 with pCp reading the files off my NAS (via NFS) but I still use the VB to rip CDs to the NAS.
                          However it is in my home office and like you some way away from my CD storage and not suitable for moving to my Living Room.
                          To get round this I have recommissioned an old MacMini in my Living Room (running headless) and configured XLD to start on boot. I just insert a CD and a few minutes later its on my NAS in the right place and in the right structure for the Pi based LMS to read (after library update). I control the Mac if needed via VNC.
                          Unfortunately the Mac is so old that it won't rip BluRays and the old VB only has a DVD drive but that will rip to my NAS as well - I use Plex on the VB for DVD streaming with various media players involved. LMS is configured for music only.
                          I discounted upgrading my VB to 2.4 as for my purpose it isn't needed.
                          My system will do almost everything you are looking for. I suspect a later MacMini could rip BluRays.
                          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• edwin2006
                            • May 2017

Interesting. Using the vortex box just for ripping was also my idea. Using a nas for storage and a pi for LMS. How did you hack the vortexbox?
                            SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
                            Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
                            Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• d6jg
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by edwin2006
                              Interesting. Using the vortex box just for ripping was also my idea. Using a nas for storage and a pi for LMS. How did you hack the vortexbox?

This is for VB2.3. The principle is the same for 2.4 but I believe the method of mounting the NFS is slightly different. I think you would do it in a post-startup script rather than via fstab. I have never needed to try my 2.3 works perfectly.

I also installed webmin on the VB which makes it dead easy to stop LMS from starting at boot etc
                              Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• d6jg
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by d6jg
                                https://www.js60och.co.uk/vortexboxqnap-nfs-project/

This is for VB2.3. The principle is the same for 2.4 but I believe the method of mounting the NFS is slightly different. I think you would do it in a post-startup script rather than via fstab. I have never needed to try my 2.3 works perfectly.

I also installed webmin on the VB which makes it dead easy to stop LMS from starting at boot etc
                                I think I also ended up renaming /storage to /storageold and creating a symlink named /storage to /mnt/NFS - this then made dvd ripping work
                                Jim

Comment

Working...