Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommendations for Vortexbox hardware

Hi,

I am currently planning to restructure my audio streaming infrastructure and in the process want to re-rip my CD collection...I used to rip CDs using EAC and encoding to high bitrate MP3s and later AACs and also changed my file naming scheme in the process. LMS runs on a QNAP NAS, clients are a Squeezebox Touch (->Denon 1912->Dynaudio Excite) and a Squeezebox Radio. Everything runs very smoothly, I would really like to rerip my CD collection to FLAC and in the process have a cleaner and more homogenous data source.

Having found the Vortexbox project, this seems like a good solution for me. I am now looking for hardware recommendations to realize a Vortexbox server for my music and was hoping that someone can give me some hints I do have a HP ProLiant Microserver as an unRAID which serves my video files, this would be a good candidate for Vortexbox imho, I would prefer a smaller solution though. Also, which DVD drives are good to use?

many thanks!

taalas

Quote Originally Posted by taalas View Post
    Hi,

I am currently planning to restructure my audio streaming infrastructure and in the process want to re-rip my CD collection...I used to rip CDs using EAC and encoding to high bitrate MP3s and later AACs and also changed my file naming scheme in the process. LMS runs on a QNAP NAS, clients are a Squeezebox Touch (->Denon 1912->Dynaudio Excite) and a Squeezebox Radio. Everything runs very smoothly, I would really like to rerip my CD collection to FLAC and in the process have a cleaner and more homogenous data source.

Having found the Vortexbox project, this seems like a good solution for me. I am now looking for hardware recommendations to realize a Vortexbox server for my music and was hoping that someone can give me some hints I do have a HP ProLiant Microserver as an unRAID which serves my video files, this would be a good candidate for Vortexbox imho, I would prefer a smaller solution though. Also, which DVD drives are good to use?

many thanks!

taalas
    I'd also be interested in this. I'd planned on running Vortexbox on a low power consumption laptop. What do I need, in terms of specs, and still keeping the power consumption down to a minimum?

I tested it on an old XP2000 system with 1GB memory and an old IDE disk; it worked fine. Seemed plenty responsive to me. I think I had it feeding two players different streams and it was OK. I never got it to sleep and wake on LAN though, too much linux for me to get that working.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh49 View Post
    I tested it on an old XP2000 system with 1GB memory and an old IDE disk; it worked fine. Seemed plenty responsive to me. I think I had it feeding two players different streams and it was OK. I never got it to sleep and wake on LAN though, too much linux for me to get that working.
    I figure that might be the case, so I'll go for a very low power consumption solution, that can be left on 24/7.

i installed vb on an hp proliant microserver and only have good things to say about it. i didnt install a permanent dvd drive in it as i dont need to rip cds - so i cant help you with that in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by tusken View Post
    i installed vb on an hp proliant microserver and only have good things to say about it. i didnt install a permanent dvd drive in it as i dont need to rip cds - so i cant help you with that in particular.

Can you install it without a dvd-drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ButC View Post
    Can you install it without a dvd-drive?
    you need a CD/DVD drive to install Vortexbox. But after install, you don't need one unless you want to rip CDs or DVDs.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    you need a CD/DVD drive to install Vortexbox. But after install, you don't need one unless you want to rip CDs or DVDs.
    I figured that was the case... Is it any disadvantage having an external drive when ripping?

Quote Originally Posted by ButC View Post
    I figured that was the case... Is it any disadvantage having an external drive when ripping?
    can be. depending on what sort of external drive and how connected, I've read that there are problems with C2 error correction, etc. However, I know it *can* be done if setup properly. If I planned on ripping with my VB, I'd set it up with an internal DVD/CD drive.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

In my short test, the ripping/tagging feature of the Vortexbox worked very well. Tagged and got the cover art automatically. I didn't look into customizing the tagging.

I'm sure the sleep and wake function could work fine, I just didn't have the time to teach myself linux to be able to install/activate the needed features to get SCPowerControl to work. OTOH, SCPowerControl works great on the same box with XP.