Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eoinyp
    • Oct 2012

Network connection

I am trying to connect my Squeezebox Radio to a wireless network but it will not connect.
    I have connected the radio to a couple of different networks previously, so I am guessing that this particular network is the problem.
    The network is in a residence, and has a setup like one would find sometimes in a hotel. On the PC I connect to the network, and then when I open an internet browser I enter a username and password before I can proceed any further.
    The squeezebox sees the network, tries to connect for about a minute and then gives the error: DHCP address can't be found.
    Any ideas how to connect the radio to the network?
    Is there a patch or something that might help me out?

The network is unencrypted if that makes any difference.

Here's hoping!

Eoin
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

You cannot connect a SB player to a network requiring a web page authorization and/or login. You can connect the player to your computer using Internet Connection Sharing, then the computer access' the network & logs in, this essentially turns your computer into a router.

Comment

• eoinyp
      • Oct 2012

Ethernet network?

Hi Toby10, thanks for your reply.
      I don't have a network cable to hand, but would I be right in thinking there is more to it than connecting the SB to my PC by a cable and selecting an Ethernet connection on the SB?
      Networking is not really my thing as you probably can tell by my posts!
      Thanks a million,

Eoin

Comment

• toby10
        • Jul 2007

Yeah, it's a number of settings within ICS to create a network. Not sure I'd mess with it if one is not that familar with networking settings. You can google ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to get a feel for what is required. Then you must turn ICS off for regular PC use when not needing ICS. Lot of jumping around to listen to Radio.

Why does a residential network use such network authorization like a hotel? Seems rather silly.

Comment

• eoinyp
          • Oct 2012

Lot of jumping around to listen to Radio

Thanks for the info Toby.
          I guess I will leave it for now then. It certainly is a lot of jumping around to listen to Radio!!
          The network is in an apart-hotel where I am staying for a couple of months. It is a terrible system. I regularly have to log in via web-browser. It is most annoying on my cell phone. I don't have a sim on a local network here yet, so I am using the wi-fi network. Every time I leave the building and come back in I have to re-login via the browser on my cell phone. I think the handiest solution is to shelve the SB for a while and get a good data package for the cell phone so I can listen the radio stations from back home via their cell phone apps.
          Pity. I love my SB!

Thanks

Eoin

Comment

Working...