Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Do you got any iPhone or android app to control your softplayer ? Turning on the TV to control music is a bit awkward imo .

There are some streaming service that are only supported on a real squeezebox .

Depending on squeezeplay version it could be issues with hirez files >24/48 and possibly with bit-perfectness ,but as you have a media server you probably know all about getting bitperfect output wo having the OS re-sampling or otherwise interfere . Thats the soundqulity issue that a hardware squeezebox bypasses, sometimes the OS does "things" to the sound on old XP you had to avoid the "kernel mixer" and use ASAPI or kernel streaming .

As a hardware squeezebox "just works" independent of the host servers audio system (hardware or software) you don't have to bother , example I don't think i have any working sound on my HP microserver that is my server.

Ralphy have released .
    SqueezePlay for Windows with ASIO, DirectSound, WASAPI and WDMKS device support. This may further amend any differences that could theoretically be there.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...device-support
    Yes I agree turning on the TV just to listen to music isn't good. For that reason the touch may be worth buying. I need to look into the SqueezePlay for Windows with ASIO, DirectSound, WASAPI and WDMKS device support. The Squeezeplay version I'm using uses the default audio device so I have to set windows to use the digital out as the default. The windows mixer may be messing with the bits.

George

Quote Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
    Yes I agree turning on the TV just to listen to music isn't good. For that reason the touch may be worth buying. I need to look into the SqueezePlay for Windows with ASIO, DirectSound, WASAPI and WDMKS device support. The Squeezeplay version I'm using uses the default audio device so I have to set windows to use the digital out as the default. The windows mixer may be messing with the bits.

George
    Some of the smartphone apps could also help with controll ,without the TV on , as long as the server is running and is connected to your lan and your able to to connect a phone pod or pad to it .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by th00ht View Post
    Definitely! But it depends a bit on your listening behaviour. If you always listen to music with your computer switched on, or always keep your computer switched on than there is no need. Just imaging what mains power your computer is using when it is switched on. The Touch' power drain is probably 1% of that. If you tend to listen to music all day and not spending time at you computer all day, consider switching off your computa (and all the noisy fans and stuff) you might save quite considerably on your energy bill, while still enjoying some nice tunes.

jk
    The media center PC does sleep. It wakes when WMC needs to record or when I want to watch TV. All the music is stored on the same PC running LMS so if I want to listen, I turn it all on. I use a logitech harmony that can control a wmc PC. It turns everything I need on and wakes the computer too.

The touch is a more elegant way of doing it but I just don't think I need it in my current set up. The replies here helped verify that but I also learned about how there are advantages to it even in my current set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Some of the smartphone apps could also help with controll ,without the TV on , as long as the server is running and is connected to your lan and your able to to connect a phone pod or pad to it .
    yes, I forgot to say that I do use an old iphone as a controller. I even paid for an app that turns the phone into a player too. I can also use the squeezebox radio as the controller without the TV being on. The radio can do it with one button because I have a preset for random play. The computer and reciever still need to be on with squeezeplay running though. I usually turn the TV off after I get it all running.

You might find interesting a group test of digital players in HiFi Choice XI/2011 where Touch was tested as well...
    http://audioz.info/study/ebook/sound...11-hq-pdf.html
    _
    SB Touch; Denon DVD-1920; Revolver SEE+ Sumiko BluePoint;
    Luxman L-405 (impr.); VTL straight-line (impr.); Luxman T-240 (impr.);
    AKAI GX-95; AIWA AD-F640Z; Usher S-520.

All this talk about whether or not to buy a Touch got me to thinking that now would be a good time to pick up another Touch before they are all gone since Logitech no longer appears to be manufacturing or offering the Touch. Luckily I was able to find a new Touch from Crutchfield (here in the USA) for $230 with shipping.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

SB Touch are disappearing...

Sold out and marked discontinued on Crutchfield
    Sold out and no indication of restocking on Amazon.com (except third party sellers)

Quote Originally Posted by travelfotografer View Post
    Sold out and marked discontinued on Crutchfield
    Sold out and no indication of restocking on Amazon.com (except third party sellers)
    Sorry to hear that. I must have gotten one of the last ones because the Touch arrived on this past Wednesday and it is up and running and sounds great.
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

I am fine, I got mine (for backup) when it was still available from Amazon.com

I was just commenting how it appears the Touch is really in the process of being sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I must have gotten one of the last ones because the Touch arrived on this past Wednesday and it is up and running and sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfotografer View Post
    I am fine, I got mine (for backup) when it was still available from Amazon.com

I was just commenting how it appears the Touch is really in the process of being sold out.
    Too bad Logitech just didn't change the name to "iTouch" since anything with an "i" in front of it's name has no problem selling.
    Last.fm