Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MusicIP Analysis in Windows 7 failing

I've built a Win7 PC. I moved my hard disk containing my music into this box.

I have installed MusicIP, but having a strange issue with analysis of .flac files. Essentially, I can only properly analyse .flac files that I have ripped and stored on another box. If I retag a file in mp3tag and add replaygain info in FooBar, the file can still be analysed successfully. As soon as I touch the files at all on the new Win7 box (even just moving, renaming or copying a file and not modifying the content at all) the file will not be analysable.

..mp3 files seem to be fine.

As a test, I have tried creating a new MusicIP library as an administrator, and switched off UAC. The folder/file security permissions seem fine (I can play the songs in MusicIP Mixed UI).

Any ideas what could be going on?

As an attemted workaround, I created a .mp3 version of a .flac file, which I could then analyse. I then "Archive analysis" to store analysis to tags, and then tried copying the tags back into the .flac file. However, MusicIP would still not analyse the file.

I copied the .flac file back to my old WinXP box and MusicIP analysed it okay.

Phil,
    I recently upgraded my XP work station to a 128GB SSD and Win 7 64. MusicIP works fine (apart from the odd quirky behaviour such as "Validating... 0 tracks left" until you tell it to "Stop analysis")
    I did set UAC slider to the lowest - "Don't notify" or whatever the setting is. I also shared the music drive according to this - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4100837AAw0pDY - so I could still drag music to my XP LMS box.
    Cannot understand why mp3 files would be Ok and flac are deemed unanalyzable, has to be some kind of permission setting.

Edit : Was there anything in the MIP log - C:\Users\Johno\AppData\Roaming\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\log.txt ?
    Last edited by Wirrunna; 2012-09-10 at 05:01. Reason: Added query about log file.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    Phil,
    I recently upgraded my XP work station to a 128GB SSD and Win 7 64. MusicIP works fine (apart from the odd quirky behaviour such as "Validating... 0 tracks left" until you tell it to "Stop analysis")
    I did set UAC slider to the lowest - "Don't notify" or whatever the setting is. I also shared the music drive according to this - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4100837AAw0pDY - so I could still drag music to my XP LMS box.
    Cannot understand why mp3 files would be Ok and flac are deemed unanalyzable, has to be some kind of permission setting.

Edit : Was there anything in the MIP log - C:\Users\Johno\AppData\Roaming\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\log.txt ?
    Sun Sep 09 17:06:47 2012
    [0:00] Fingerprint failed (mis-execution): M:\Music\Phil's Music\Rock\Gotye\Making Mirrors\01 - Making Mirrors.flac
    Sun Sep 09 20:02:34 2012
    [0:00] Fingerprint failed (mis-execution): C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.flac
    Sun Sep 09 20:02:35 2012
    [0:01] Fingerprinted: C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.mp3

It does seem likely that it's a security/permission issue, but damned if I can understand it! I've tried setting the file security to Everyone=Full Access, disable UAC, and still it doesn't analyse. And yet, for files that I ripped to the HD in WinXP will analyse if I don't subsequently edit them in Win7. Even simple things like moving or renaming a file.

Phil,
    I'm pretty sure that I ran the MIP install as supervisor, then used option 4 or 5 in this guide - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nistrator.html
    I can't think of anything else.

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    Sun Sep 09 17:06:47 2012
    [0:00] Fingerprint failed (mis-execution): M:\Music\Phil's Music\Rock\Gotye\Making Mirrors\01 - Making Mirrors.flac
    Sun Sep 09 20:02:34 2012
    [0:00] Fingerprint failed (mis-execution): C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.flac
    Sun Sep 09 20:02:35 2012
    [0:01] Fingerprinted: C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\test.mp3
    I ran into this same error on Linux, but it was interspersed with something like invalid registration number. I used to move the database back and forth between two installations (one is on my NAS which I don't want to burn out the cpu on) so I took it to be a problem related to that, although I'm not sure what registration number or whatever they were looking for. I made some more changes to the db, and I have re-initialize the whole database, but it is working now.

Have you tried using genpuid? On Windows (provided you're running 1.9) its the only way to go imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    MusicIP works fine (apart from the odd quirky behaviour such as "Validating... 0 tracks left" until you tell it to "Stop analysis")
    Is that unique to Windows7? I thought MIP has always done that, if you look at the debug file it is still doing "stuff" most of the time it seems to analyse a file its already analysed it does stop eventually. I assumed it was a bug in the MIP GUI code
    www.spicefly.com - ** Spicefly SugarCube ** - A hassle free acoustic journey through your music library using MusicIP. Plus the finest MusicIP installation guides, enhanced MIP Interface and SpyGlass MIP the Windows Automated MusicIP Headless Installer.

Quote Originally Posted by cparker View Post
    Is that unique to Windows7? I thought MIP has always done that, if you look at the debug file it is still doing "stuff" most of the time it seems to analyse a file its already analysed it does stop eventually. I assumed it was a bug in the MIP GUI code
    It does it in XP as well, just sits there with it's thumb in it's mouth puffing! I get impatient and tell it to stop, as it sometimes just keeps going and eventually stops responding.

Still, I can't work out why Philip has trouble with flac files but MP3 work fine. I checked the exceptions in Microsoft Security Essentials on my Win7 box but I had not yet added flac or mp3 to the exception file types. It is as if accessing a flac file sets some kind of protection flag which isn't set on mp3 files.

1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

I tried uninstalling and re-installing MusicIP and analysing with a clean library with default settings, but still can't analyse the files.

I copied a .flac file that wouldn't analyse over to my XP box, and added the song to MusicIP across the LAN (D: mapped to \\GENESIS\D$\test.flac). This analysed fine!

So this is really weird - I can analyse music that had already been stored on the local HD, or music that exists on an external disk, but I can't analyse music that is created on the local HD.

It sounds like permissions, but I've tried giving full access to everyone. I've tried every partition that I have on the Win7 PC.

Next step is to try moving the other HD into the Win7 box to see if that works.

>It does it in XP as well, just sits there with it's thumb in it's mouth
    >puffing! I get impatient and tell it to stop, as it sometimes just keeps
    >going and eventually stops responding.
    >

Yes, I have always had occasions with "Validating 0 tracks left", and occasionally it says it's validating, finished, but there's still tracks that need validating. I've always taken it to be some kind of an issue with the library, such as caching.

Another annoyance is that sometimes if I use the GUI, I drag new files into the window to add to library, but the app goes unresponsive for a minute or so whilst it searches for new music. Other times doing the same action will return immediately. Similarly with using Ctrl-D to delete from library - sometimes very quick, other times the GUI hangs up for a while doing something.

>Still, I can't work out why Philip has trouble with flac files but MP3
    >work fine. I checked the exceptions in Microsoft Security Essentials on
    >my Win7 box but I had not yet added flac or mp3 to the exception file
    >types. It is as if accessing a flac file sets some kind of protection
    >flag which isn't set on mp3 files.

I use Comodo Internet Security suite. I have tried turning off Firewall and Defense+, and there's no log entries to show that anything suspicious is happening there.

I found one album that I recently added where 1/2 of the tracks have analysed and half haven't. I'm guessing that it is where filenames were amended. e.g. I always capitalise every word, so tracks that were ripped and created with filenames such as "01 - Missing Pieces.flac" have been analysed okay, whereas "03 - Freedom at 21.flac" was renamed "03 - Freedom At 21.flac" and now won't analyse.

Generally, .mp3 files analyse okay. Except I have found one .mp3 album that won't analyse either. I've generally found that I can't analyse any .flac where I have touched the file, but I can analyse if I convert to .mp3.

I have attempted to copy the fingerprint tags from the .mp3 into the equivalent .flac file, but the .flac still won't go to analyzed state.

This is really annoying me still.

With Windows 7 64 bit, I've tried analysing music stored on a local HDD using MusicIP GUI, Headless and Genpuid. All of these methods use mipcore.exe, which fails to analyse .flac files (and .aac files). I can convert the files to .mp3 or .wav and these file types are analysed fine.

I found a really nasty workaround:
    1. Copy .flac files to a share on a Windows XP box.
    2. Analyse the files (can be done on the Win7 box, through the share name), and archive analysis.
    3. Move the files back over to the correct location on the Win7 HDD.
    4. Remove the files from MusicIP GUI, and add the files back again.

It must be some kind of Win7 permission thing that the old MusicIP executables

I've done a lot of digging to analyse what is going on.

I used SysInternals ProcessMonitor to examine what is happening when:
    1) .flac analysis fails on Windows 7 64 bit
    2) .flac analysis on a Windows XP box and compared.

The trace is almost identical up to the point where the file being analysed is [not] openned.

I did notice that mipcore.exe attempts to load rpcss.dll from c:\windows\sysWOW64. I tried placing a 32bit version of this in the folder, but it made no difference.

I tried moving a .flac file to the root of the HDD, changing the file permission, and the root disk permissing such that it has Everyone=Full Access. I've tried turning off all anti-virus, firewall monitoring apps, and disabled UAC.

None of these work.

Can anyone think of any other reason why mipcore.exe won't work on a file that is local?