Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

HP ProLiant ML110 G7 server - suitable for LMS etc?

I already use the HP ProLiant Microserver for LMS, etc but last week I noticed a cash back offer on the Proliant ML110 G7 G840 (2 core 2.8GHz, 4 bay, no OS) which brought the net price down to £127 (inc VAT) from one retailer (the latest Microserver was also on a cash back offer netting the price to ~ £117).

The offers expired at the end of August but it made me wonder whether the ML110 might be suitable for installing, say, ubuntu and running LMS in the same way that many of us do with the Microserver.

Any thoughts?

PS There appears to be a new cash back offer for September and the Microserver can be had for as little as £100 (net of £100 cashback). A terrific bargain!
    Last edited by JohnB; 2012-09-06 at 07:14.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

im sure it would be fine

i have a microserver and cannot speak highly enough of it. its an amazing bargain with the cashback (i bought mine about 9 months agao and it was approx £129). ive installed vortexbox on it and its excellent. Anyone thinking of going the NAS route, shouldnt, they should just get one of these! - the processing power is much better than all Nas units at an equivalent price and better than many at a much higher price

Yes the microservers are cool I have a N36 that I run ClearOS and 7.8 on .
    If you run some kind of server Linux ( this includes vortex box ) with no gui or desktop they are really fast .

I'm sure that the ml110 also is a good server ,but almost overkill do you have an extremely large collection and/or many players it migth be what you need

The microservers is such an effective combination it's relatively small and quiet ( not quiet enough to kept in a listening area ) and yet it can take 4 drives and have a real CPU .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I already use a Proliant Microserver N36L (running Ubuntu Server) so even thinking about the ML110 seems crazy. My only reason is that I am in the process of installing Inguz DRC and the guidelines recommend a processor of 2GHz minimum. Which is quite a bit higher than the 1.3GHz of my Microserver.

For now, I want to get Inguz DRC set up on my Windows 7 desktop but when I have it working I would ideally like to run it on my Microserver.

(I've got Inguz installed and working on Windows 7 and I now need to make a decision about which software to use to generate the filter files. With luck I will get a first 'draft' up and running over the weekend.)

Googling on the ML110 G7 it appears that some users (it might be a handful or it might be all) have problems with very excessive fan noise, due to the fans always running at 50% come what may. Some users seem have found a way or curing it, others haven't.

Anyway, at £117 and £129 for the Microserver and ML110 G7 respectively these seem to be terrific bargains, especially the Microserver which we all know to work amazingly well. (The prices are for ebuyer.com, net of cash back).
    Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Ok inguz , that's the most demanding plugin ever then you need CPU
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Seems quite virtualization ready

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I already use the HP ProLiant Microserver for LMS, etc but last week I noticed a cash back offer on the Proliant ML110 G7 G840
    It looks like the C200 chipset used there is able to do pci pass through (intel vt-d). I suppose this means all available CPUs are 64 bit and virtualization ready (intel vt-x) as well. Memory seems to be of the ECC type, but if it maxes out at 16GB, that may be a little low to run a lot of big VMs.
    Like many I was excited about the micro server, but I found it lacking a lot on the virtualization side. This ML 110 seems more capable in this respect.
    4 SB 3 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • SqueezeLite • Squeezebox Server 7.8.1 (Debian 7.5) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • ShairTunes by StuartUSA • Local Player, BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Memory seems to be of the ECC type, but if it maxes out at 16GB, that may be a little low to run a lot of big VMs
    I am considering the ML110 G7 too and have read about rumours here and there (Amazon.de review) that with the newest BIOS and the right RAM 32GB are possible, of course I can't give you any guarantee on it.

I never see HP cash back deals in US. Anyone?

Hi there,

I use the HP Proliant G7 running WHS 2011, also used as a home server and a Mac backup machine. It has loads of Boom's, Radio's and a Transporter and about 900GB of music and counting it is brilliant at what it does, but I thought it would only run up to 16Gb of RAM could be wrong but just checked the Proliant paperwork and that is what it says.

Still with the discount well worth the money, yet never understand why eBay UK has sellers trying to get over £400 for a ML110 G7.

Buy it quick.

Tim.