Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Does this mean that in the event of one's internet connection going down
    > (which used to happen frequently when I was with my former ISP, the
    > major UK ISP), the UE Radio cannot be controlled to play locally stored
    > music?

Yes, that's true.
    That feels like a really bad restriction. I can't think of any other home music players that have to have an internet connection available when they are playing locally held tracks.
    I presume that it is only "control" information that is going out to the Logitech internet service and that the music is coming from the local server and not going out to internet service and back again ... because if it is doing that then it is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffpatte View Post
    In the UK, all products need to be fit for purpose from manufacture for 7 years. So, if a product is "manufactured" to do internet radio, it should do it without error for up to 7 years. Warranty is a different issue.
    Can you provide a suitable reference?

Quote Originally Posted by cliffpatte View Post
    In the UK, all products need to be fit for purpose from manufacture for 7 years. So, if a product is "manufactured" to do internet radio, it should do it without error for up to 7 years. Warranty is a different issue.
    7 more years of MySB.com would be great, but I doubt it. Lot of wiggle room for Logitech.
    - only an issue for the Touch as SB Radio can be "updated" to UE
    - Touch itself and/or use of LMS does provide "internet radio" access absent MySB.com
    - not that anybody reads such mumbo-jumbo but I'd bet in the Terms of Service for MySB are some outs like "service can end at any time" etc...
    - even if MySB.com remained accessible for 7 years, at what level of usability? i.e. Maybe all subscription services will be gone?

Now, there is one big plus for MySB.com users that may help keep it accessible for a reasonable time period. The new UE online server is basically a stripped down MySB.com. So going forward it might not be that big of a technological effort to keep both going *if* they are so similar in architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    A more sinister thing is that the UE server would be capable of storing your whole playlist history .
    Now that every track you play will be exposed to their server .
    I think this is intentional this info can probably be used in some smart ways with different online services , I would not be surprised if spotify/mog/faacebook/[some service] would be delighted.
    This kind of personal data is very valuable these days so now you musical taste can be a commodity too, to be used by faceless corporations that worries me a lot .
    This kind of implementation can benefit your music use but you giving up privacy at the same time .
    You hit the nail here. The name of the game is CONTROL. Looks like Logitech is going into the same direction as Apple did since it's beginning. That's why I never bought any Apple-products and never used iTunes etc. and NEVER will! For the same reason I don't use (pseudo)Social Networks like Facebook or the "Cloud" etc. The control freaks are taking over more and more. Seems to be the right time to look for another solution which does not require to login to a remote UE server when playing your local music. I'll continue to use my beloved SBT for as long as it works, but I'm definitely not going the UE-road... From my point of view Logitech turns into the wrong direction and many will turn their back to Logitech due to this change...

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Now, there is one big plus for MySB.com users that may help keep it accessible for a reasonable time period. The new UE online server is basically a stripped down MySB.com. So going forward it might not be that big of a technological effort to keep both going *if* they are so similar in architecture.
    Exactly, and even if us oldtimers may think that the UE stuff is kinda sucky, provided the new line generates sufficient profit for Logitech it's what will keep support for our SBs going.

One thing to remember is that MySB provides a number of rather different services (providing firmware download, brokering access to online services, running apps, providing "fallback" server for users without LMS). Logitech may not pull the plug on all of them simultaneously. I guess it doesn't take too much effort to keep firmware download going, and I expect a lot of the web radio stuff doesn't consume many CPU cycles, on the other hand, driving a bunch of slim devices that are completely dependent on the server for just about anything is as far as I understand rather taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundman View Post
    From my point of view Logitech turns into the wrong direction and many will turn their back to Logitech due to this change...
    Considering how people flock towards all kinds of services without any concern of privacy, I seriously doubt this will make the slightest dent in Logitech sales.

New Squeezebox Radio

>> Does the online UE service have something nice and modern to use when
    >> you cue up local tracks ?

No. The mobile app is considered your main control point.

--

Michael

New Squeezebox Radio

> I saw MH comment that he is running his server for UE Radio on Linux -
    > so this means (implies at least) that there is still software for the
    > end-user to install.

Yes, if you want to have access to your local music collection, then
    you'll need to install the UE Music Library software.

--

Michael

Squeezebox Radio to UE Radio comparison

Michael or others, is there a chance that we can get a side-by-side comparison of the two products both in features and available out of the box radio streams? I think that this would help eliminate some confusion and questions. Like any new, soon to be released, announcement there is more questions than answers at this stage. I love my Squeezebox Radio and was seriously thinking about getting one or two more for my Office desk and the basement. Now, I'm in a holding state trying to decide if it's better to get the ones I know or the ones I do not yet.

Personally, the whole require Internet to stream local music is not much of an issue EXCEPT the concern that one day everything will stop (hopefully a very long time from now). But, for example, DLNA device support would be a huge win IMO because it's a widely supported standard. Maybe AirPlay may interest some. But I'm also reading things such as Pandora and SiriusXM may not be on the stream list which would a huge shame but maybe new streams like Grooveshark or whatever where added. Personally, Logitech has put me as a returning consumer in a holding state for future business with them and mostly due to the fact that I don't know enough about the future radio to the existing.

Thanks for your time and all you do here! I've shadowed these forums for years on and off...

--Mark

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    Considering how people flock towards all kinds of services without any concern of privacy, I seriously doubt this will make the slightest dent in Logitech sales.
    You're probably right about that... unfortunately. Things may change once many people had to learn it the hard way... but till then, they will run voluntarily into this trap.