• Show
Clear All
  • mherger
    Babelfish's Best Boy
    • Apr 2005

New Squeezebox Radio

> Doubling the price for an extra speaker is hardly sneaking in. While I'm
    > sure the old radio wasn't up to stereo, despite having bought 3x radios,
    > `1x touch, 1x boom i cant see using two to get stereo...

If you have two Radios synced to each other you can configure them to play
    either left or right channel.

--

Michael
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pallfreeman
      Oh dear. Does this mean a bunch of decerebrate drones from Logitech's Nathan Barley department are monitoring this forum?
      No, I'm following that Twitter account and asked a question. I find Twitter's quite a good way to ask questions (if the answer can be in <140 characters!).

Robert
      Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
      Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
      2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
      Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
      Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mherger
        > BBCiPlayer will work with the new LMS version using existing hardware
        > players. I'm not convinced it will work yet with the new smart radio
        > though - doesn't look set up for server based plugins to stream audio to
        > it unfortunately. However only been looking for a short time...

That's true: all player control is done on uesmartradio.com. UEML only
        provides local content, which then is dealt with on uesr.com as with any
        other URL.

--

Michael
        Does this mean that in the event of one's internet connection going down (which used to happen frequently when I was with my former ISP, the major UK ISP), the UE Radio cannot be controlled to play locally stored music?

TBH, I can see where Logitech are going with this reversioning/rebranding exercise, but if there were to be a HiFi quality UE player in the future that might be an issue for some!

Robert
        Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
        Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
        Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• mherger
          Babelfish's Best Boy
          • Apr 2005

New Squeezebox Radio

> Does this mean that in the event of one's internet connection going down
          > (which used to happen frequently when I was with my former ISP, the
          > major UK ISP), the UE Radio cannot be controlled to play locally stored
          > music?

Yes, that's true.

--

Michael
          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
            • Dec 2010

> music?

Yes, that's true.

--

Michael
            That's rather interesting, and for me that would be one reason not to buy in to the new server-player system, were it to be extended to a HiFi quality player that had the same limitation.

Robert

Comment

• kidstypike
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
              That's rather interesting, and for me that would be one reason not to buy in to the new server-player system, were it to be extended to a HiFi quality player that had the same limitation.

Robert

It looks like the player control for local files is at uesmartradio.com

Like you I registered at uesmartradio.com, I downloaded the UE Music Library software, it seems to run fine on Windows 7 alongside LMS.

There's a "Control Panel" very similar to LMS.

HTTP port is 3546, - 127.0.0.1:3546 goes straight to the settings page very similar to LMS, there is NO Home/Player Control page.
              Attached Files
              Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
              Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
              Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
              Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• hvb83
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by travelfotografer
                Maybe Logitech found that people are now glued to their smartphones, and there is no longer a need for a product like Touch. Instead, you just need a Smart Radio Plus with digital outs, and you can play, queue, etc your music files using the smartphone app.

Even with my current touch, I use my tablet to control it.
                You mean the Receiver they discontinued? If they added the 48/96 capabilities of the Touch to it, a decent way of setting it up (that is, without the controller) and they priced it somewhere between the Radio and the Touch, I'm sure a lot of people would have went for it. In the pre-iPeng / Squeezecommander era it made no sense to release something like that as stand-alone. With them discontinuing the unit without a proper replacement just shows how clueless the Logitech exec's are...
                Touch, Marantz SR5004, Harman Kardon HKTS11 in living room
                Duet in kitchen and bathroom
                Radio in bedroom and study
                SB Server 7.7.2 running on a Synology DS1812+ NAS
                iPhone running iPeng and iPad running iPengHD

Comment

• Mnyb
                  • Feb 2006

The certainly seems to be done with the web-UI for controll :-/

Does the online UE service have something nice and modern to use when you cue up local tracks ?

A redeeming thing could be if they finally get any kind of smart playlist functionality using this more closed approach .

A more sinister thing is that the UE server would be capable of storing your whole playlist history .
                  Now that every track you play will be exposed to their server .
                  I think this is intentional this info can probably be used in some smart ways with different online services , I would not be surprised if spotify/mog/faacebook/[some service] would be delighted.
                  This kind of personal data is very valuable these days so now you musical taste can be a commodity too, to be used by faceless corporations that worries me a lot .
                  This kind of implementation can benefit your music use but you giving up privacy at the same time .
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                  Bedroom/Office: Boom
                  Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                  Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                  iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                  (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                  server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• kidstypike
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mnyb
                    The certainly seems to be done with the web-UI for controll :-/

Does the online UE service have something nice and modern to use when you cue up local tracks ?
                    I don't know, I don't have a UERadio, so I can't get past the "Add Radio" screen.
                    Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                    Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                    Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                    Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• alfista
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                      I saw MH comment that he is running his server for UE Radio on Linux - so this means (implies at least) that there is still software for the end-user to install.
                      Isn't that the part that causes some end-users to have problems (the installation a s running of software)?
                      If they can install and run something (and recognise that if the machine that they ran it on it not switched on then they can't play their local music) then they would have been able to run LMS wouldn't they?
                      The concept is a bit different though. Ye olde SB was initially designed to have a local server (I believe the first devices only ever worked that way), later MySB was added to the mix and provided some backend support for various services and it also acted as a limited features fallback solution when you didn't have a local server. The concept provided ample amounts of pitfalls to stump the casual (uninterested) user and to cause support headaches for Logitech. With the UE device always connected to the server in the cloud they've dumbed things down a bit. Installing the server and getting it to work will still be too difficult for some, but explaining this concept to a reluctant learner is probably less challenging.

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                      If the new device was a UPnP-AV control point and player ... then that could make a home set-up simpler since the server software that they would need might already be on their machine and Logitech would not have to build & maintain server software (except for their managed service). That is the route taken by other Internet radio-centric devices.
                      A couple of problems with that. Given the wildly varying performance of UPnP servers I wouldn't like to market any product depending on those. More importantly though, even if LMS has "issues" with handling libraries with less than perfect metadata, when it does work it will slap most UPnP servers silly when handling large music collections. In my mind the LMS is a large portion of what puts the SB above the other streaming systems for music and I expect that some of it will carry over to the new system, using UPnP it would have been harder to stand out from the a rather bland group of streamers.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                        • Apr 2005

> music?

Yes, that's true.
                        That feels like a really bad restriction. I can't think of any other home music players that have to have an internet connection available when they are playing locally held tracks.
                        I presume that it is only "control" information that is going out to the Logitech internet service and that the music is coming from the local server and not going out to internet service and back again ... because if it is doing that then it is even worse.
                        Paul Webster
                        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• awy
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cliffpatte
                          In the UK, all products need to be fit for purpose from manufacture for 7 years. So, if a product is "manufactured" to do internet radio, it should do it without error for up to 7 years. Warranty is a different issue.
                          Can you provide a suitable reference?

Comment

• toby10
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cliffpatte
                            In the UK, all products need to be fit for purpose from manufacture for 7 years. So, if a product is "manufactured" to do internet radio, it should do it without error for up to 7 years. Warranty is a different issue.
                            7 more years of MySB.com would be great, but I doubt it. Lot of wiggle room for Logitech.
                            - only an issue for the Touch as SB Radio can be "updated" to UE
                            - Touch itself and/or use of LMS does provide "internet radio" access absent MySB.com
                            - not that anybody reads such mumbo-jumbo but I'd bet in the Terms of Service for MySB are some outs like "service can end at any time" etc...
                            - even if MySB.com remained accessible for 7 years, at what level of usability? i.e. Maybe all subscription services will be gone?

Now, there is one big plus for MySB.com users that may help keep it accessible for a reasonable time period. The new UE online server is basically a stripped down MySB.com. So going forward it might not be that big of a technological effort to keep both going *if* they are so similar in architecture.

Comment

• Soundman
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mnyb
                              A more sinister thing is that the UE server would be capable of storing your whole playlist history .
                              Now that every track you play will be exposed to their server .
                              I think this is intentional this info can probably be used in some smart ways with different online services , I would not be surprised if spotify/mog/faacebook/[some service] would be delighted.
                              This kind of personal data is very valuable these days so now you musical taste can be a commodity too, to be used by faceless corporations that worries me a lot .
                              This kind of implementation can benefit your music use but you giving up privacy at the same time .
                              You hit the nail here. The name of the game is CONTROL. Looks like Logitech is going into the same direction as Apple did since it's beginning. That's why I never bought any Apple-products and never used iTunes etc. and NEVER will! For the same reason I don't use (pseudo)Social Networks like Facebook or the "Cloud" etc. The control freaks are taking over more and more. Seems to be the right time to look for another solution which does not require to login to a remote UE server when playing your local music. I'll continue to use my beloved SBT for as long as it works, but I'm definitely not going the UE-road... From my point of view Logitech turns into the wrong direction and many will turn their back to Logitech due to this change...

Comment

• alfista
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by toby10
                                Now, there is one big plus for MySB.com users that may help keep it accessible for a reasonable time period. The new UE online server is basically a stripped down MySB.com. So going forward it might not be that big of a technological effort to keep both going *if* they are so similar in architecture.
                                Exactly, and even if us oldtimers may think that the UE stuff is kinda sucky, provided the new line generates sufficient profit for Logitech it's what will keep support for our SBs going.

One thing to remember is that MySB provides a number of rather different services (providing firmware download, brokering access to online services, running apps, providing "fallback" server for users without LMS). Logitech may not pull the plug on all of them simultaneously. I guess it doesn't take too much effort to keep firmware download going, and I expect a lot of the web radio stuff doesn't consume many CPU cycles, on the other hand, driving a bunch of slim devices that are completely dependent on the server for just about anything is as far as I understand rather taxing.

Comment

Working...