Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    Does this mean that this awesome dream-like ecosystem may be coming to an end? I love the Squeezebox music/everything ecosystem and can't imagine being without all its functionality.
    don't panic. All your stuff will still work. they'll keep mysqueezebox.com going for at least a couple of years (would be required to under several countries product laws given that they are still selling units that require this to work). And they might keep in going indefinitely. The only current issue I see is that the future hardware might not be compatible with existing hardware. In terms of LMS and your own music. This can work forever without logitech's intervention.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    don't panic. All your stuff will still work. they'll keep mysqueezebox.com going for at least a couple of years (would be required to under several countries product laws given that they are still selling units that require this to work). And they might keep in going indefinitely. The only current issue I see is that the future hardware might not be compatible with existing hardware. In terms of LMS and your own music. This can work forever without logitech's intervention.
    I agree and it would surprise me if they shutdown mysqueezebox.com as long as significant amounts of Squeezeboxes are still under warranty period, doing that would result in a lot of warranty returns and that would likely cost them quite a bit. For the Radio they can probably say to users that they need to "upgrade" to UE Smart Radio firmware as a solution to avoid warranty returns, but as Michael mentioned earlier in the thread this won't currently work for the Touch so due to this it's probably likely that they will try to keep mysqueezebox.com running at least for the next couple of years.

Except for this I would also advice anyone still thinking of selling their SB hardware to wait a bit. Using SB hardware with patched or custom firmware is possible and this opens up some possibilities to reuse the hardware with completely different firmware which doesn't rely on mysqueezebox.com at all, but I don't want to say anything more regarding this at the moment.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Well I had hopes that Logi would sell the business… nevermind.

Thanks to Michael for the brief.

Let's hope Logi has found the magic formula, will sell gazillions of players. And then someone very nice and smart will build a proxy to hook our SBs to the new world. That's the magic of the thin client+local server design, isn't it ?
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post

One should say that Sonos, too, hasn't done _anything_ to improve their core functionality, they've only added active speakers and they are good at supporting online services. Which might be enough.

The product looks dated, too: they only support 44.1/16 audio, since they scrapped their own controller you can't use the full capabilities of the mesh network unless you have one of those Android devices that can connect to it to use as a controller because you always need traditional WiFi in parallel to control the whole thing and yes, the limit hasn't moved as well.

That is exactly the reason why it is so annoying that Logitech is dropping it's highly superior SBs, when others can obviously offer less for more money and make "a living" out of it.
    The SB product is great, so now offering a cut down version, is ridiculous and is not going to sell anyway. Marketing killed the SB. Thanks a lot!
    LMS 7.9.0 - 1470391720 on Pi2 (Max2play)
    Synology DS-414 NAS
    Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Radio, HifiBerry PicorePlayer
    Schiit - BIFROST AKM 4490 Dac
    Spotify Premium

So sad!

So sad... I love the Squeezebox concept so much! How can Logitech kill such great products/brand!

Since I bought my first device back in 2005, every day, I am using them and visiting this forum. You guys, members of this forum, are part of my every day life ! ;-) I've learnt so much reading posts/wikis...

We should now think of the future.

Will this forum continue to live? Should we now think to move to another place?

And why not dreaming a bit: Why not re-creating together our own Squeezebox (devices/server) from scratch and compete Sonos in that particular niche market... BTW, any news from Sean/Dean? ;-)
    Last edited by didjean; 2012-08-29 at 10:31.
    Touch + Cambridge Audio 651R & DAC Magic + Q Acoustics Concept 40 --- Touch + Onkyo TX-SR309 + Morel Applause MKII --- SB2, SB3, and Duet --- 2 Boom --- 7 Radios --- Ipeng --- LMS 7.9.0 - 1470912157 / Max2Play IQAudio on RaspberryPi3

The new website is here: http://www.uesmartradio.com

New Controller apps:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ech.smartradio
    iOS: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logit...er/id553093015

New and old devices that update to the UE firmware will work with the new mobile apps.
    Last edited by sb4life; 2012-08-31 at 13:53.

New Squeezebox Radio

> 1. If "downgrading" a SB Radio to UE Smart Radio firmware, will it be
    > possible to "upgrade" it back to SB Radio firmware or is it a one way
    > route ?

The exact procedure still is to be defined. Engineering strongly votes for
    the two ways, as otherwise support very likely will be swamped with
    requests for this.

> 2. If it's a two way route, is there any chance it will also be possible
    > to "upgrade" a UE Smart Radio hardware to use SB Radio firmware ?

I'm not sure whether the new hardware is 100% compatible. But I think it's
    not planned to provide this path.

--

Michael

Well, when you say it is safe to do so (SB Radio can be upgraded to and from both UE and LMS/MySB, back and forth) let us know, as well as the procedure.
    You have a built in legion of quasi late stage beta testers right here. i.e. Anyone who currently has a SB Radio.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper

hi all-

Before I say anything I want to thank Michael for his openness and candor on this thread. You rock Michael. But you should rename the thread to "New Not Squeezebox Radio"

It's been ages since I've posted here. I had to reset my password because it was 297 days old. When I left Logitech in June 2011 I had benevolent plans of doing 3rd party development, particularly on the Squeezeplay side, but it turned out I couldn't do it. The honest truth is because it was too painful after what I'd gone through with Squeezebox.

The beginning of the end for Squeezebox happened in Fall 2009. We had released Squeezebox Radio after what I can only describe as a grueling march. It was the hardest I've ever worked on a tech project. I was willing to put in that effort because I believed very strongly in the squeezebox line, and that Radio was going to be the first product to really seriously put us on the map, with Touch soon to follow. Unbeknownst to all of us doing that work in the trenches though, there was a plan already in the works that summer to shut everything down, and poach everyone for work on what eventually became Logitech Revue, the Google TV boat anchor that Logitech over-invested in.

So, Radio gets released, and sure enough a month or so later we get called into a meeting and told that the Mountain View office was being closed. Squeezebox was going to be pushed over to another business unit along with some of the employees, but a very high percentage of the software team was being redirected to work on Google TV. After about 10 days of being part of this GoogleTV team, the numbers started rolling in for Squeezebox Radio and it was selling far beyond expectations. Scrambling, they sent several of us back to working on Squeezebox. I was one of them, and was really relieved because from the get-go I didn't believe in Google TV (this doesn't make me Nostradamus; this was the general consensus of every engineer from the old Squeezebox team). However, it was difficult to imagine how things were going to move forward in the absence of people like Richard (squeezeplay/squeezeos architect), Tom (low level squeezeplay UI and monkey wrench programmer), and Caleb (acoustic genius), who stayed with GoogleTV.

But, as former SlimDevices CTO Dean liked to quote "the graveyards are full of people the world could not live without", so I thought hey, maybe we find a way to move things forward. Michael and Felix will fill in some gaps, Andy's still here, and maybe we'll get a quality hire or two.

Sadly, we moved into a business unit that could not have been more the polar opposite of how we did things in Mountain View. Incredible politics and bureaucracy ruled there, and thus began the long trend downward for Squeezebox. I'm sure the paper pushers from that period would speak of how they "turned squeezebox around", but the principal reason the dollars went from red to black during that time was because of the market validation (with practically zero actual marketing, I might add) of Squeezebox Radio, and to a lesser extent Squeezebox Touch (still IMO the best Squeezebox ever, but more of a niche product compared to Radio; nevertheless, it also blew expectations out the window and they had to scramble to make more). In that time with that group, we brought to market exactly zero new hardware products. We'd work on something for months, then get it unceremoniously cancelled. Lather, rinse, repeat. Some of these products were clearly wrong turns. Others were clearly going to sell like crazy. Not one thing made it to the point of building a prototype. The only significant contribution from that 1.5-2 year period was the squeezebox mobile app, which Michael (and to a lesser extent, Felix and I) did a really nice job with.

After Squeezebox was wiped from the roadmap for about the Nth time in 2011, I got out. Logitech was why I got to work full-time on Squeezebox in the first place, but (for me) they'd destroyed everything that was there that made me want to be there in the first place. Worse (for me) yet, they didn't destroy it quickly, but slowly and painfully. As I would tell Steven (another ex-Squeezebox employee), "it's like they shot my dog but then made me live with it for two years. It's like, yes that's my dog, but EWW".

After my departure, there was a brief light of hope when the almost-no-heartbeat Squeezebox product line was shifted to another business group, run mostly by the Ultimate Ears folks (headphone company, another Logitech acquisition). Squeezebox alive again?? Turns out, not so much.

So, after almost exactly 3 years since Squeezebox Radio was released, we have the Ultimate Ears Smart Radio by Logitech (catchy, huh? good god). I view this product as:
    1. First and foremost, a rebranding project and little more
    2. UX changes to fit whatever the marketing department of the month thinks is important
    3. An explicit severing of ties from the "legacy" squeezeboxes

The product itself...man, it's so notable in how not notable it is. There isn't one new "wow" thing this has over the 3-year-old SB Radio. And it's hitting the market at US$179 MSRP. Ouch. Good luck with that, UE.

I write all of this history here because, again for me, this is the final chapter where I can close the book. At times, working on squeezebox was the best job I ever had. It was certainly the one I was most passionate about. In the later stages, it became impossibly frustrating and untenable.

I continue to extend good wishes to my past co-workers who are still doing their best to deliver innovative products. Maybe something good will eventually be released (because this isn't it). It just won't be a squeezebox.

Squeezebox is dead, long live Squeezebox.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
    Before I say anything I want to thank Michael for his openness and candor on this thread. You rock Michael. But you should rename the thread to "New Not Squeezebox Radio"
    +1000
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)