I apologise if this has been asked before because I know I'm not the only one suffering this fault but I have not seen any advice as to how to put it right. I have been watching a thread on another forum which seems to have died without solving the problem so I thought I'd ask here.
My Touch has been playing as expected since I had it, virtually the first day they were shipped. I have always updated the software when new player or server software has been released. I did flirt with Soundchecks mods but being a PC code numptie I pulled out of that without being able to complete it. I also installed EDO mods but could not discern any improvement so did a factory reset and reverted to 'as you were'. After this the Touch again worked perfectly but somewhere along the line since then it has stopped - I suspect it might have coincided with a software upgrade but I am not sure about that. Since then I have done many Factory Resets and Software updates but still the problem persists.
And the problem is that EVERYTHING appears normal but the track progress bar does not move and no sound comes out of ANY of the outputs - it is just as if the player freezes just as it's about to start. FWIW, changing Menu options produces clicks and/or bumps in the headphones when connected at the rear of the Touch.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or how to resolve it PLEASE? - I'm missing my music.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
2012-06-08, 13:20 #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
Help with non-playing Touch please
2012-06-08, 16:46 #2Music Room:
Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge->Conrad Johnson Motif phono preamp->
Oppo BDP-83 Universal Player->
Vortexbox Appliance->Actiontec Router->DLink Bridge->Ethernet->Squeezebox Touch/EDO->Toslink->CIA PS->DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core EQ/DAC->
REL T1 Sub
Adcom GFP-750 preamp->Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp-> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
Squeezebox Touch (analog out)->Little Dot Mk III amp->AKG K701 headphones
iPad/SqueezePad->Noontec Zoro headphones
2012-06-09, 01:26 #3
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
Thanks very much for your response. I am not very computer literate - I know just about enough to be dangerous - my music library physically resides on a free standing self powered USB HDD and I have full copies (for backup purposes) on a large SATA HDD in the PC itself and on an ethernet connected NAS in another room. I can point Logitech Media Server (running on my PC) at any of these and they are always found and scanned properly and fully according to the resulting scan report. I can individually select specific tracks or let the Touch select them randomly and all the relevant details and artwork appear on the Touch screen, the 'Play' button changes to the 'Pause' button but the Progress Bar accross the bottom refuses to move and no music comes out. If I move the progress button by hand it will moves but immediately freezes at the spot I leave it. Pressing the 'Next' or 'Previous' buttons always results in the correct action but still no music plays. I believe that the Progress indicator seems to be trying to move at times, it sort of stutters but refuses to move.
I have tried shutdowns and restarts and factory resets numerous times but nothing has any effect.
It beats me!!