Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Powerline Ethernet

Good Morning Squeezeboxers,
    I have two Squeezebox Classics that have been operating flawless for several years. Lately there has been a lot of congestion on the wireless channels around here. Since 5GHz is not an option for the Squeezebox I'm wondering what the verdict is here on Powerline Ethernet as an alternative to the wireless.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Bob

They work very well!
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I have used ZyXel powerline ethernet products for various Squeezeboxen over the years. I also used it for my Boxee box for while before I eventually ended up running some Cat5 to the room it was in. It has proven to be very good. The only issue I have had would be dropouts when certain devices were used in the house. Primarily hair dryers and a large attic fan. Other than that, very reliable.

-Chris

I was in the same position as you are. We updated our IP which necessitated changing the location of our wireless router. All seemed fine until the microwave turned on.... the only thing that didn't lose signal was my iPod Touch. Two days ago I bought 3 PowerLine adaptors (D-Link DHP-500AV). Not only did it cure the microwave problem, but my internet speed is consistently faster.

I use powerline since more than 2 years! Works perfectly!
    Greetings from Switzerland - Markus :-)

----
    Proac Response D15, B&W Sub ASW 610, Astintrew AT2000plus, SB Touch, Metrum Octave NOS Mini DAC

I currently don't have any hooked up since I moved my PC to a more central location in the house. When I did use them they solved most of the problems I had with poor wireless connectivity that arose due to the distance between my players and my PC. Like one of the previous posts, I also found issues when operating certain appliances, like a vacuum cleaner or the treadmill. Ultimately, I moved the PC to the aforementioned central location where I was able to hard wire two SBs, and my other two were in much closer proximity such that they maintain 90%+ signal strength.
    2-SB3s, 1-Duet, 1-Touch. Mac Mini as a server. iPeng is my controller of choice.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

I most sincerely appreciate all of the answers to my Powerline Ethernet question. Sounds like it may be the solution I'm looking for.

--Bob

I'm using MoCA which is the same principle but operates over my cable TV lines. Supports higher transfer rates which is nice as I also run video over the network from the same ReadyNAS that holds all my music. Work flawlessly!

I also use this over cable lines at one location with vortexbox appliance and touch connected over this back to router. Works flawlessly.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I use a couple pair from Monoprice.com and they work great!
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

1 Touch | 2 Booms | 2 Radios | 1 Duet | 1 SB2
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.8 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.