Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Where is the index stored for your Music Library.......

Is it within the Music Library Folder or somewhere else?

Can you change the location of the index?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Is it within the Music Library Folder or somewhere else?

Can you change the location of the index?
    Depends what platform ?

Normally the database files are in the cache folder ( where that is depends on OS but it'sdefine telly on the system drive, check LMS settings info page for exact location on your computer/NAS )

Except for when using a drive directly on the Touch where they are in a hidden directory on the connected drive.
    And on ready NAS where they they are on the share .

And yes you can change this location by editing a file... Somewhere ( wait I'll check )

Edit :

On centos like Linux /etc/sysconfig/squeezeboxserver

You change the cache location
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-06-01 at 13:40.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Yes, I found the information where you had said. I have Windows 7 and it located under Program Files.

I also see, that LMS does not let you change this as easy as the location of Playlists and Music Libraries.

There is probably a good reason for this, so I am content not to change this.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Yes, I found the information where you had said. I have Windows 7 and it located under Program Files.

I also see, that LMS does not let you change this as easy as the location of Playlists and Music Libraries.

There is probably a good reason for this, so I am content not to change this.

Thanks!
    It's not to hard many people have done it, but I have no win install of LMS so I could not say where to go looking for the config file .

Some precaution is needed stop LMS edit config and move all the old stuff to the new location and then start LMS again another snag can be permissions LMS must be able to read and write the files on their new location.
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Index? Are you talking about moving the location of LMS' library database? That's fairly easy to do.

There are several command-line options that you can pass to LMS on startup that let you relocate folders that can't be set from within the LMS settings in the web interface.

--cachedir "D:\slim\cache" --logdir "D:\squeeze\logs" --prefsdir "D:\squeeze\prefs"

The --cachedir option indicates where the cache/data folder is to be found. The cache directory contains all of the music library databases as well as caches for things like web pages. The --logdir option specifies the location of the folder where logs are kept. The -- prefsdir option locates the preferences folder, where program settings and plugin settings are kept. However, there's a bug in the compiled Windows EXE that prevents --prefsdir from working properly when run as a Windows service, so only --cachedir and --logdir will work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to add one or more of these options for LMS run as a Windows service, you'll need to edit the Windows registry, which is fairly simple. Find the entry for the Windows LMS service, which I believe is located at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sqeezesvc

and find the ImagePath key. It will have an entry that launches the program, probably something like:

C:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\SQUUEZ~3.EXE

Edit this string to add the --cachedir option. (Also make sure that the program's path is enclosed in double quotes, if it's not already.)

"C:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\SQUUEZ~3.EXE" --cachedir "D:\squeeze\cache"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If, instead, you run LMS as a user process when someone logs on, you'll need to find the Startup folder shortcut that launches LMS and edit its target path similarly. Do that by editing the properties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you use the LMS control panel application to change from running as a Windows service to starting up at logon (or vice versa), you'll lose this customization, as the service registry entry or the shortcut will be re-created.[/list]

Interesting info . Did not know how it was done in windows .