Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

View Poll Results: keep alive/ stay connected feature in the next firmware update

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • that feature makes sense - LET'S DO IT!

2 28.57%
  • why? who needs this ..

5 71.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LMS and any internet station works fine as an alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Binder View Post
    It's much lovelier to wake up from unknown/ unexpected music, as long as the station grooves. That has been Russian roulette.
    If I understood corectly, you could simply make the radio station a favorite (in LMS) and point to that favorite in the alarm settings. I have used Radio Swiss Classic for this purpose for over a year. Never missed an alarm.
    John Marshall
    LMS 7.8 running on a DIY PC, Windows 7 64 bit, (1) Transporter, (4) Booms & (2) CSOS SqueezeliteWands. SqueezePad & iPeng for controllers.
    Music Room setup: Transporter => Rotel RC1070 preamp => Rotel RB1080 2 channel amp => Bowers & Wilkins 805 Speakers.
    Headphone setup: SqueezeliteWandQuad => Mytek 192 DAC => Woo Audio WA22 balanced headphone amp => Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

I'm back! Thanks garym, Mynb, bpa, Squeezed_Rotel for all the info & tips!

The Radio is mono and a single speaker.
    looking at it that's what I thought, but here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LARRDK it's advertised as stereo .. I searched for mono on that page, it is NOWHERE mentioned.. why then does it say "Connect iPod and other portable music players via 3.5mm stereo jack"? I call that offensively misleading..

Wonder if the old repeat trick would help your case. Build a playlist with the same radio station repeated say 2-10 times and set the player to repeat playlists?
    wow - yes, I've seen such playlists w. repeating content before but never thought to create one(s) myself. I can host these playlists on my server. I'll certainly try that, great hint! Just checked - 'repeat playlists' is already on.

As a beside alarm radio - the Boom is still best with snooze button and back lit controls.
    I 100% agree. I LUV the 1-touch 15 min. good-night snooze!

A clear description of your setup and what happens would help.
    hm OK, so this what I added to my initial posting: SB connected to close-by router via Ethernet cable. Stream gets lost and does NOT pick back up (same if on wireless). 1 Laptop 1 PC connected to router also via Ethernet cable (2nd PC - MC - 98% off). Already swapped router, cables - no change. Radio stations (pretty much all) continue to play in WinAMP, but stop eventually playing in SB: buffering does at some point simply NOT restart, but display reads "playing", but it simply is not playing anything .. I always have http://mysqueezebox.com/player/playerControl open, so when I click onto a new station or onto the play triangle, the SB usually starts to buffer right away ( = connection to mysb.com alive), then play. Eventually (5 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour) it will stop playing.

With poor internet connection you should increase the Radio Station Timeout setting
    sorry, I can't find that neither on http://mysqueezebox.com/player/viewPlayers nor in the SB settings - where please is that setting??

you could simply make the radio station a favorite (in LMS) and point to that favorite in the alarm settings.
    Detour - really? I have made stations favorites via http://mysqueezebox.com/settings/favorites and point my alarm direclty to one of those, without the (yes, what I consider) detour (or 'long-cut') via LMS running on some computer. Sure I could use the SB to wake my Laptop or PC, which could then serve whatever audio or station, but man, I got the SB so I do NOT need to at the same time have my Laptop or PC running .... I do certainly NOT want to wake up with one of my computers already running.. that's just how I want to have it handled, and I hope that's legitimate and not too conservative/ far 'off the track' ..

Apart from all possible attempts, my model might simply be defective, see squeezeit's comment here - which might be why pretty much all of u voted me down - simply because ur SB's work as supposed .. but I'll try the playlist trick first anyway.
    Last edited by Lee Binder; 2012-06-03 at 01:44.

Stereo input and stereo output are two different things. Most anything your Radio will be receiving is in stereo (lossy files, lossless files, internet radio, streaming services, 3.5 mini-plug input). So the 3.5mm stereo jack is correct in that it accepts stereo input via a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable and you don't need a separate 3.5mm mono mini-plug cable. That said, it does say "enjoy rich stereo sound" in that description, which does seem misleading.

Station buffer setting:
    MySqueezeBox.com > Players > Network > Radio station buffer

Timeout setting is limited to LMS, not available via MySB.com.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Station buffer setting: MySqueezeBox.com > Players > Network > Radio station buffer
    yep, already had that set to the max. 30 secs
    Timeout setting is limited to LMS, not available via MySB.com.
    aha, thanks.

Applied the playlist trick, already listening to a station via repetitive content .m3u on my server (also added #EXTM3U into first line, no idea if really necessary). .asx also works but should be no diff.

oops, there we go again, just stopped playing and did NOT pick back up (not even started to re-buffer, just stopped), and in both, SB display and http://mysqueezebox.com/player/playerControl it still says playing .. Just ran a speedtest, 7Mbit/s and only me online here right now, or in other words way more than enough available bandwidth for 320 kbit/s audio streaming. I'll call the US warranty claims # 646-454-3209 tomorrow and request an RMA.

Thank you everybody for all input, very much appreciated. I'll post back once I have had the replacement model for a while.

Cheers,
    Lee

Can you get TCP & IP connection statistics on your router ?

The TCP & IP stats for transmission errors (e.g. pkts lost/retransmitted) will indicate if there is a h/w problem with network connection either between router and player or router and station.

Linksys WRT54G v4.0 in a cool spot w. latest DD-WRT v24-sp2 (build 13064 10/10/09) std

Good idea, thanks - SysLog was on default disabled so I just enabled it (at least can't hurt or do any harm..)

Linksys WRT54G v4.0 in a cool spot w. latest DD-WRT v24-sp2 (build 13064 10/10/09) std

Good idea, thanks - SysLog was on default disabled so I just enabled it (at least can't hurt or do any harm..)
    Trying to figure your setup does it include more than one router ? I mean any wifi hoop at all ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

yes, we have routers cascaded - I'll still file for an RMA tomorrow Monday for three reason:

- directly on my Laptop, connected to the same router also via LAN, I can listen to a stream all day. Yes, there are interruptions every once in a while, but WinAMP *always* picks the stream back up
    - the playlist trick w. repeated content did not work
    - when I first got my SqBxBm I did *not* experience these drops
    - over at the Logitech forum, squeezeit (1,769 posts Logi Guru) wrote that what I experience should simply not happen

So I guess something went defective at some point, and actually got worse. The past few weeks either the radio station did not kick in automatically at all in the morning, or dropped shortly after. When I manually click play, it's *always* there right away. My SqBxMb has slowly developed a stream dropping issue (purchased 03/2011) ..

yes, we have routers cascaded - I'll still file for an RMA tomorrow Monday for three reason:

- directly on my Laptop, connected to the same router also via LAN, I can listen to a stream all day. Yes, there are interruptions every once in a while, but WinAMP *always* picks the stream back up
    - the playlist trick w. repeated content did not work
    - when I first got my SqBxBm I did *not* experience these drops
    - over at the Logitech forum, squeezeit (1,769 posts Logi Guru) wrote that what I experience should simply not happen

So I guess something went defective at some point, and actually got worse. The past few weeks either the radio station did not kick in automatically at all in the morning, or dropped shortly after. When I manually click play, it's *always* there right away. My SqBxMb has slowly developed a stream dropping issue (purchased 03/2011) ..
    ...and the obvius Q what happens if the boom is conected via ethernet ?

You can never exclude any wifi issue unless tried without the wifi (the wifi issue may very well be in the boom but anyway ) .

I don't think you can compare with a computer on the same wifi ,computers do this better in general .

Can you stream a local flac or wav file ?

These cascaded routers anything else eating bandwidth at the same time ? I mean if there is a wifi hoop and one pc is downloading a torrent you get these problems for example
    Maybe Qos would help ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Mnyb dear, you're getting confused now .. see my initial posting: my SBB *is* connected via Ethernet to begin with .. symptom is the same Ethernet/ WiFi.

QoS, good point, but alas it's been switched on router-wise by default (just verified).

Filing a warranty claim w. Logitech is impossible right now - accdg. to the warranty claim website RMAs have to be requested by phone. Their hotline 646-454-3209 however is defective .. after an hour or so I hear s.b. finally pick up/ answer the line, then .. CRACKLE/ BOOOM .. call drops ..

I'm already on my fifth call now. Another welcome to the world of tech support hotlines .. oh wow, just got through, three hours l8r .. now the lady tells me the # on the warranty claim website is the wrong one to call for SBB, the correct one is 877 887 8889 .. sigh ......

EDIT: same thing w. 877 887 8889: after some time music stop, dial tone, crackle, disconnect ..

Logitech has a general connection drop problem right now .........
    Last edited by Lee Binder; 2012-06-05 at 16:10.