Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do need a Logitech Device?

Hello,

I have owned a duet + receiver for a couple of years, the duet being connected direct to a NAS which serves the music utilising LMS. In recent times the duet controller has become superfluous as the Logitech remote app on smart phones is a better solution.
    I wouldn’t say I am thrilled with the quality of Audio I get with the receiver connected (analog) direct to my amp and this has led me to investigate upgrading the DAC.

What I cannot understand is why one needs/wants a Logitech type device at all? My NAS has Twonky media server to serve music, which can controlled via smartphone remote app. Surely the NAS can serve the music direct to a DAC connected to my amp, i.e. why the need for a Logitech device in the chain at all? I am confused as I see a lot of talk about connecting a Logitech device to a DAC etc but cant understand why you would want to put this additional piece of “kit” in the chain.

Any clarification appreciated.

Regards,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by scoobynz View Post
    Hello,

I have owned a duet + receiver for a couple of years, the duet being connected direct to a NAS which serves the music utilising LMS. In recent times the duet controller has become superfluous as the Logitech remote app on smart phones is a better solution.
    I wouldn’t say I am thrilled with the quality of Audio I get with the receiver connected (analog) direct to my amp and this has led me to investigate upgrading the DAC.

What I cannot understand is why one needs/wants a Logitech type device at all? My NAS has Twonky media server to serve music, which can controlled via smartphone remote app. Surely the NAS can serve the music direct to a DAC connected to my amp, i.e. why the need for a Logitech device in the chain at all? I am confused as I see a lot of talk about connecting a Logitech device to a DAC etc but cant understand why you would want to put this additional piece of “kit” in the chain.

Any clarification appreciated.

Regards,
    S
    NAS = "Network Attached Storage" it has no ability for audio playback
    JRMC->iFi USB Power Supply->Ayre QB-9 DSD->Simaudio Moon 600i->Focal 1028BE speakers + 2 x Martin Logan Depth-i subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
    NAS = "Network Attached Storage" it has no ability for audio playback
    and even though Twonky can serve music via UpNP, you need something on the receiving end to accept it. I'm not aware of any DAC that has this capability. (and of course the LMS approach to serving audio is light years ahead of DLNA/UpNP approach (e.g., synching, gapless without special setup, library info, etc.). This said, there are RECEIVERS, DVD Players, xboxes, etc. that can be the receiver for the Twonky DLNA server (and of course some of these have built in DACs as well). But you still have "something" between the data on your NAS and the DAC.

edit: I'm not a DLNA/UPNP user, but my understanding is that there are three pieces....renderer, server, and, control point. With Twonky and your smartphone app, you're still missing one of these "pieces"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rs_and_clients
    Last edited by garym; 2012-05-25 at 07:45.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

and thirdly the UPNP control apps leave much to be desired in comparison to iPeng et al.
    JRMC->iFi USB Power Supply->Ayre QB-9 DSD->Simaudio Moon 600i->Focal 1028BE speakers + 2 x Martin Logan Depth-i subwoofers

Multi room and sync are major pionts besides the superior experience , otherwise you could just use spdiff from a PC if using a PC as interface don't bother you .

Another les obvious but important point for people interested in sound quality is the total decoupling from server-side drivers and OS and audio systems and soundcards etc, these have no influence .
    You don't have to bother with that stuff , if the analog from a squeezebox is not good enough use it's digital out to a suitable DAC or processor .

Slimdevices/logitech gone to some effort to make the transport bitperfect , no wierd 16/48 transcoding like some apple devices for example
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Also - as far as I know - most DLNA/UPnP clients do NOT support gapless playback.
    LMS 7.9.0 on Wandboard (SoA)
    Synology DS-410j NAS
    Squeezebox Touch, Squeezebox Boom, Squeezebox Radio
    Schiit - BIFROST Dac
    MOG, Spotify Premium
    iPhone: iPeng - iPad: Squeezepad, iPengHD

No contest

Simple answer - for the music library management features of Squeezebox Server/Logitech Media Server, which despite it's many shortcomings is still many, many light years ahead of just about any DLNA music library management software. Plus one cna further improve and enhance SBS/LMS by using one or more of the many excellent plug-ins currently available.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

If you have an Apple AirPlay device you do not need a Squeezebox device. Just instal iPeng on your phone or pad and LMS on your network. iPeng will then instruct LMS to steam directly to your AirPlay device. Only downside is FLAC is uncompressed and sent as WAV (no diff to SQ just file sizes are unnecessary larger).
    2 x Duet, 2 x Radio, Touch & Receiver with iPeng 7 & SqueezePlayer served by HP N36 running FreeNAS/SlimNAS/LMS 7.8

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
    If you have an Apple AirPlay device you do not need a Squeezebox device. Just instal iPeng on your phone or pad and LMS on your network. iPeng will then instruct LMS to steam directly to your AirPlay device. Only downside is FLAC is uncompressed and sent as WAV (no diff to SQ just file sizes are unnecessary larger).
    no high res with airplay
    Vortexbox>SBT(stock)>>Forssell MDAC-2>>>Klein and Hummell 0300D

Sota Sapphire/Lyra Kleos>>Bespoke Valve Phono Stage>>Mastersound Due Venti>>Link Audio K100

Anti-Apple

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
    I know that you may find this incredibly hard to believe but there people who don't have and don't want an iPad, iPhone or any kind of smart phone. Plus Airplay isn't all that great, especially when one takes into account all the file formats it does not support, which is just about all the non-Apple ones.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm