Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lake_eleven View Post
    Have anyone tried WoL (Wake-on-LAN). Does it benefit sound from LMS/SBT?

If you don't initiate a WOL event to a sleeping server, you do get the blackest blacks you could ever imagine.

Try it!
    JRMC->iFi USB Power Supply->Ayre QB-9 DSD->Simaudio Moon 600i->Focal 1028BE speakers + 2 x Martin Logan Depth-i subwoofers

huh? WOL just allows a computer to wake up from suspend by receiving a "magic packet". Once awake, the WOL is unrelated to anything. How could this affect audio?
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
    If you don't initiate a WOL event to a sleeping server, you do get the blackest blacks you could ever imagine.

Try it!
    Love it! I tried it and it really does take the noise floor down to almost imperceptible levels. ;-)

Weired sense of humor or need to lookup what WOL is.

First post: "I am considering a NAS instead of using my PC since I would like to be able to play music without having my laptop/PC turned on."

Problem: having laptop/PC turned on (24/7)

Possible solution: NAS/Server or try using WOL on existing PC.
    Vote for "Nap feature": http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14208

Sboxes: Duet, Classic, Radio, 2 Boom's
    Server: HP Laptop, Core i5-540M, 4Gb DDR3, WOL (Wake-on-lan), 1.7watt suspended, Windows 7, LMS 7.7
    Router: Linksys WRT54G wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Letten View Post

First post: "I am considering a NAS instead of using my PC since I would like to be able to play music without having my laptop/PC turned on."

Not with that lineup of players you don't.
    If all your files are 16/44.1 then you'll be fine.
    If you have stuff that needs transcoding to 24/48 then a NAS won't necessarily be up to the job.
    My NAS most certainly doesn't do transcoding - I ran a Touch and SB3, and ended up buying a second Touch because of the transcoding problem. SB3 is now unused.

Chris
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Letten View Post

I use a dedicated 24/7 small PC, not a NAS. It has all my many music files on its 500gb internal 2.5" drive, and runs ONLY LMS plus the software necessary to run headless (allows remote control from my other devices). The one I use, Fit-PC2, uses very little power under load, around 5W, less when quiescent (but not zero). It's tiny, about the size of a cigarette package. No fan, heat is dispersed through the solid aluminum case.

It's been on pretty much every hour of every day for the past two and a half years without anything resembling a failure. If I'm going on vacation or something I'll typically turn it off if I remember, which doesn't always happen. If I needed to I could install a larger drive, or start using an external drive, but I'm ok for the immediate future.

At the time I bought it (diskless) I had a spare XP licence so that is what I installed. I'd prefer Win7, and if I ever upgrade the drive that's what I'll put on it.

As to sound quality, bits are bits. No difference where the bits are located, as long as they are properly served to the SB devices.

At the point I bought the Fit, the version I bought was new -- there was some controversy about Wake On Lan (WOL), which was not supported and which some customers got exercised about. Tthe FitPC people created a work-around, and the current models all support this feature if you need it. I personally don't see the need since I keep the device on fulltime anyway.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2012-05-27 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I use a dedicated 24/7 small PC, not a NAS. It has all my many music files on its 500gb internal 2.5" drive, and runs ONLY LMS plus the software necessary to run headless (allows remote control from my other devices). The one I use, Fit-PC2, uses very little power under load, around 5W, less when quiescent (but not zero). It's tiny, about the size of a cigarette package. No fan, heat is dispersed through the solid aluminum case. ...
    Hey Ron, is there any more handy info about this style/brand of server that you'd recommend? It sounds like exactly what I want, especially the low power consumption for 24/7 op. And a "small" useful project just when I'm out of them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
    Hey Ron, is there any more handy info about this style/brand of server that you'd recommend? It sounds like exactly what I want, especially the low power consumption for 24/7 op. And a "small" useful project just when I'm out of them. Thanks.
    FitPC-2 is the brand. Google it for purchase options.

Edit. Interesting, as there is now a fitpc3.

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/
    Last edited by garym; 2012-05-28 at 14:36.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
    I also have a FitPC2 as one of my servers, but I'm running VortexBox software on it (which runs linux) which is free. Its a whole environment designed to be a server. Besides LMS it can also be used as a general purpose NAS if you wish.

The FitPC is not the cheapest route to go, they are very small, use very little power, are rugged as all get out, but fairly expensive. You can build your own low power atom or similar computer for a lot less, but they usually don't come close to a FitPC in power usage.

Vortexbox also has it's own hardware called the VortexBox appliance which comes pre-installed with the software, it's ready to go out of the box. Its larger and not as low power as the FitPC, but it can hold much larger disks and has a CD drive for ripping.

There are some other inexpensive very low power options such as a sheevaplug, but they are not powerful enough to run transcoding and some plugins. But quite a few people have successfully used them.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    I also have a FitPC2 as one of my servers, but I'm running VortexBox software on it (which runs linux) which is free. Its a whole environment designed to be a server. Besides LMS it can also be used as a general purpose NAS if you wish.

The FitPC is not the cheapest route to go, they are very small, use very little power, are rugged as all get out, but fairly expensive. You can build your own low power atom or similar computer for a lot less, but they usually don't come close to a FitPC in power usage.

Vortexbox also has it's own hardware called the VortexBox appliance which comes pre-installed with the software, it's ready to go out of the box. Its larger and not as low power as the FitPC, but it can hold much larger disks and has a CD drive for ripping.
    Although very tiny (and nifty as a result), the Fit line can take any 2.5" drive. You can buy them with installed drives (not huge ones sadly), configured with Windows or a version of Linux. I wanted a larger drive so bought diskless and installed my own -- it's made very easy to do. Rugged is indeed the word -- they are used in industrial applications, robots and race cars. If installed with a SSD, no moving parts. For substantial file server apps with terabytes of content, a NAS with multiple 3.5" drive potential would be the better solution, but as a music server I find the Fit to be a . . . perfect fit!

It's used only as a server, and my regular PC is the ripping and downloading device. The Fit is networked, and I manage it from my regular PC using remote control software. Since it's on the network, when I rip using dbPoweramp, I have the ripped files copied automatically to the server location on the Fit, as well as to my main archive (both as flacs) and to a compressed archive (as MP3s). I don't miss a CD drive on the Fit at all, but others' needs obviously differ.

True, they are not as cheap as some solutions, but you do get what you pay for, and it's not like they cost thousands.

r.
    Last edited by RonM; 2012-05-28 at 18:32.