Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    how many trials in your test, and was it single-blind or double-blind?
    Heh, good joke garym.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulkeeper View Post
    Good for you. Probably completely irrelevant for everybody else.
    There can be some benign explanations that trip not so technical people sometimes, as replay gain tags and the preamp volume settings on SB2/3 these give different volume for the same file !
    So the louder gets deemed as richer more resolving with better bass etc , note that small loudness differences don't not get perceived as "louder" but as "better" by small I mean 0,5-2dB depending on your threshold for detecting such stuff

But you are half right the process of "hearing" non existing stuff is completely internal and is going on in ones head no signal difference of any kind electrical or acoustical need to exist .

But this is a media transmittable affection, modern audiophilia is some kind of media pandemic so it is relevant for others but not in good way , we will probably here things like WAV sounds better than FLAC until we die .

I'm more old school audiophile listening to good music with a hifi "high fidelity" ideal trying to faithfully reproduce my source material a wide variety of all kinds of music and recordings , some demanding for a hifi system some not ,some sounds horrible and some excellent dodging the imbecilic idea that everything should sound good (it can't, been there done that got the T-shirt).
    Sadly for young audiophiles with very modern taste most recordings are horrible :-/ so I can sympathize why some falls into the trap of trying to "fix it" with the hifi .

The new kind of audiophile listens to cables and stockfish recordings ? or Sheffield labs drumtrack or some such nonsense I also have this T-shirt saddly , I will join my local AA (Anonymous Audiophiles) if i get a relapse and buy cable lifters or mpingo discs .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Try Wake on LAN

It's a bit ironic that You want to save power, but the recommendation is a "powerfull" server as most consumer grade NAS'es are not powerfull enough ( transcode, webinterface etc.).

If your computer is wired to the router You could just try and enable WOL and save power this way. All Squeezeboxes support sending WOL signal to server if not active. Works fine for me (see signature). It's worth a try if you're not happy with it, you can always get a dedicated server.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Wake_on_LAN
    Vote for "Nap feature": http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14208

Sboxes: Duet, Classic, Radio, 2 Boom's
    Server: HP Laptop, Core i5-540M, 4Gb DDR3, WOL (Wake-on-lan), 1.7watt suspended, Windows 7, LMS 7.7
    Router: Linksys WRT54G wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Letten View Post
    It's a bit ironic that You want to save power, but the recommendation is a "powerfull" server as most consumer grade NAS'es are not powerfull enough ( transcode, webinterface etc.).

If your computer is wired to the router You could just try and enable WOL and save power this way. All Squeezeboxes support sending WOL signal to server if not active. Works fine for me (see signature). It's worth a try if you're not happy with it, you can always get a dedicated server.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Wake_on_LAN
    +1

I use wol i have a dual core mini server the server and LMS is up in 2 minutes , so I boots in the morning WOL by my boom.

I turn it of when going to work , and Touch any player when I get home , and it's running again , and I turn it off when going to sleep so it is actually only running 6-7 hours a day .

Before I got a server I used my desktop with WOL and sleep mode, but it was a bit clunky and loud, but if your normal pc is a laptop why not ? It migth be the cheapest option of them all.
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

I have LMS running on both a desktop PC and a Zyxel NSA310 (ie. a NAS).
    There is no difference in sound quality between them.

Chris
    Chris :)

Thanks for sharing all of you!

I have seen the QNAP TS-259 Pro+ (NAS) used at about half price. Here's spec's:
    http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lan...521&n=3299&g=2

Would this be a good choice?
    I don't see any indication of Squeezebox / LMS compability, but it has Linux OS as default, which means I should be able to run LMS on it - right?
    Any considerations or drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
    Tbut it has Linux OS as default, which means I should be able to run LMS on it - right?
    not necessarily. but I don't use QNAPs, so an actual user will need to chime in. also, use the search function for the forums (all not just the audiophile subforum) and search for threads discussing your proposed qnap version. There are certainly a lot of qnap discussions. I see that some versions are not powerful enough to transcode if that is needed for any particular file types.

might be useful to search these forums as well:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=123
    Last edited by garym; 2012-05-26 at 05:53.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPadAir2 (iPeng8 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by LarsHP View Post
    Thanks for sharing all of you!

I have seen the QNAP TS-259 Pro+ (NAS) used at about half price. Here's spec's:
    http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lan...521&n=3299&g=2

Would this be a good choice?
    I don't see any indication of Squeezebox / LMS compability, but it has Linux OS as default, which means I should be able to run LMS on it - right?
    Any considerations or drawbacks?
    The Linux os on NAS boxes are often a bit special, with a lot of custom stuff .

Install could be a breeze if the NAS vendor provides a logitechmedia server package which some do , this is nice .
    For some NAS boxes there are community driven options and install packages .

And then some have neither and these could be a challenge .

But QNAP is used by many so some sort of easy install is there ?

we have a third party hardware forum where many such issues are discussed, I'm convinced you find something on that particular NAS if you use the forums search function .

On many normal Linux os install is easier than on modern windows , firewall behaves in a predicted way no antivirus or anti phising app is disturbing no weird UAC issues

You may stumble on some permissions issues for the file storage with Linux or NAS but that is easily resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    +1

I use wol i have a dual core mini server the server and LMS is up in 2 minutes , so I boots in the morning WOL by my boom.

I turn it of when going to work , and Touch any player when I get home , and it's running again , and I turn it off when going to sleep so it is actually only running 6-7 hours a day .

Before I got a server I used my desktop with WOL and sleep mode, but it was a bit clunky and loud, but if your normal pc is a laptop why not ? It migth be the cheapest option of them all.
    It's not only Cheap, it's blazing fast as well. Our laptop is a 17" desktop replacement so it has 2*500Gb disk, so all our lossless music is stored on the internal drives. This means the whole squeezebox system including the webinterface is very responsive. Managing the music (ripping, tagging etc.) is also very fast because it's local disks. Before, we used a USB disk but it was slow and noisy.

Also we didn't have to buy yet another piece of hardware and learn a new OS (NAS/Linux).

When not in use, our laptop suspends and uses very little power 1.7W, resume by WOL takes just 2-3 seconds and power consumption raises to 17W, but often it's in use by my wife or one of the kids anyway, so running squeezeboxserver is free in this case.
    Vote for "Nap feature": http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14208

Sboxes: Duet, Classic, Radio, 2 Boom's
    Server: HP Laptop, Core i5-540M, 4Gb DDR3, WOL (Wake-on-lan), 1.7watt suspended, Windows 7, LMS 7.7
    Router: Linksys WRT54G wireless

Have anyone tried WoL (Wake-on-LAN). Does it benefit sound from LMS/SBT?