Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

DNS Server question

On the Squeezebox touch under Home>Settings>Advanced>Diagnostics>Ethernet>DNS - which DNS Server should it display? The DNS server on the LMS (an OSX Lion mac mini - 192.168.1.1) or the DNS server found on the router 75.75.75.75?

The reason why I ask is because previously I had the 75.etc address for the DNS server on the LMS, but I changed that to the vanilla 192.168.1.1 to try to troubleshoot an issue that I am having with my sq Boom (detailed down the road in the Boom forum).
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    On the Squeezebox touch under Home>Settings>Advanced>Diagnostics>Ethernet>DNS - which DNS Server should it display? The DNS server on the LMS (an OSX Lion mac mini - 192.168.1.1) or the DNS server found on the router 75.75.75.75?

The reason why I ask is because previously I had the 75.etc address for the DNS server on the LMS, but I changed that to the vanilla 192.168.1.1 to try to troubleshoot an issue that I am having with my sq Boom (detailed down the road in the Boom forum).
    thanks!
    Booth may work fine "192.168.1.1" IS your router, it is able to forward DNS request further .

There are probably some advantage of setting your ISP's (or others ) DNS servers directly (you can use more than one ) but I never had problems with the 192.168.1.1 aproach in my home lan.

The advantage of using the router as DNS in all devices is that you only have to change DNS in one place the router if want to change it .

I use static-ip for most of my stuff with routers ip for DNS ,however my outside WAN-IP is DHCP from my ISP and they can change DNS sometimes (very rare but it happens ) and that won't affect my statically set devices .

( Btw if one uses DHCP in the lan the router is suposed to forward DNS to the clients )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Booth may work fine "192.168.1.1" IS your router, it is able to forward DNS request further .

There are probably some advantage of setting your ISP's (or others ) DNS servers directly (you can use more than one ) but I never had problems with the 192.168.1.1 aproach in my home lan.

The advantage of using the router as DNS in all devices is that you only have to change DNS in one place the router if want to change it .

I use static-ip for most of my stuff with routers ip for DNS ,however my outside WAN-IP is DHCP from my ISP and they can change DNS sometimes (very rare but it happens ) and that won't affect my statically set devices .

( Btw if one uses DHCP in the lan the router is suposed to forward DNS to the clients )
    Thanks for the detailed answer. The reason why I ask is because I am trying to troubleshoot an issue that I am having with the Boom - Internet Radio not connecting http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...not-connecting. Upon investigating I noticed that I was having a similar situation on the Touch, which wasn't occurring before. I unplugged the Touch, Boom router, replugged router, Touch, Boom and the problem was corrected on the Touch. I still have not resolved the Boom issue (tried xilink, also). I'm looking at all options and I guess that I can rule out DNS for now. Back to the drawing board!

It seems that I can't connect to Internet Radio on the Touch. When I select Internet Radio my choices are BBCiPlayer and another BBCiPlayer. It is not possible to select the second one, but by selecting the first one it displays several BBC channels. owever, when I select any of them I get an error "Cannot open file for:".
    If I select one of the radio stations in my Favorites, I get an "error 404". When I select Favorites: "On my squeezebox.com" I get the 404 error. However, at one point in my experiments, it did conenct to mysqueezebox.com and it displayed "Staff Favorites, Local, etc"". I've plugged and unplugged it several times. Network Health is excellent.
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2012-05-05 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by stereoptic View Post
    It seems that I can't connect to Internet Radio on the Touch. When I select Internet Radio my choices are BBCiPlayer and another BBCiPlayer. It is not possible to select the second one, but by selecting the first one it displays several BBC channels. owever, when I select any of them I get an error "Cannot open file for:".
    If I select one of the radio stations in my Favorites, I get an "error 404". When I select Favorites: "On my squeezebox.com" I get the 404 error. However, at one point in my experiments, it did conenct to mysqueezebox.com and it displayed "Staff Favorites, Local, etc"". I've plugged and unplugged it several times. Network Health is excellent.
    Aha , you set your mysb.com account properly in LMS ? Sometimes LMS itslef can have DNS problems (check the log files ) but that's an issue for your other tread
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Somehow doing one or all of the following seems to have solved the problem:
    - returned the Touch to factory settings. I changed the name while I was in there. resetting this may have been overkill, perhaps one of the other steps below fixed the problem.
    - I noticed that I had named the Boom on the Boom itself, but mysqueezebox.com did not have the name (still showed Squeezebox Boom)
    - stopped the server and rebooted LMS and then manually started LMS.

But this morning I discovered another issue! All I get is a blank page when I select "Web Remote Control" or "Advanced Settings". The Information page is blank! I can't stop the server.
    Last night I had a friend try to run LMS from a remote computer. I wanted to see if I made the correct settings. It worked for him. I am wondering if he didn't turn it off, would that be causing a problem?

How can I stop the service in OS X? (I'm still learning mac!)

Edit - I just connected to the LMS using my latop (ipadress:9000), changed "Block Incoming connections to Block - then apply,, then "Do not block and apply" and now I can access web remote control and advanced settings on the LMS server.

Why is that? Shouldn't it remain Blocked if I have listed the "Allowed IP addresses"? I am trying to reduce the chance of someone sniffing out an open port. Paranoid, maybe.I just realized that I didn't have 127.0.0.1 in the "allowed Ip addresses" field.
    Last edited by stereoptic; 2012-05-06 at 08:40.

Just leave it Unblocked. If your router is configured properly it will have all of the security features necessary to keep unwanted people out.
    The LMS block only protects LMS itself. The last thing I'd be worried about in regards to hackers/internet intruders is my music tastes.

Ha ha! Thanks for the help and the relief of my hacking fear!