I've got a few questions here, please help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lunchmoney
    • Oct 2011

I've got a few questions here, please help!

Ok, my Vortexbox / SqueezeBox Touch setup has been very buggy. Always has been. Very frustrating. Sometimes works great, very often it doesn't work at all.

VortexBox and SBT are both connected to the Verizon router with ethernet cables.

Prior to getting into details, I feel like there are a few things I don't understand well enough. Please, if you could be so kind, explain:

What should I select for "Choose Player" on the Logitech Media Server page? I have the option of "Squeezebox Touch" or "Vortexbox"... Which do I choose? I don't even understand the question. How is Vortexbox even a player?

What does it mean to "Synchronize"? Does the SQBox need to always be sychronized to the VortexBox?

Silly question, but what exactly IS the "Logitech Media Server"? Does it need to be running? One of the options on the SQBox is "Start Logitech Media Server"... does this need to be running? Is this only relevant when my computer is present? Very often it's NOT present, and I just want to listen to music from the Vortexbox!

Thanks
  • krochat
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by lunchmoney

What should I select for "Choose Player" on the Logitech Media Server page? I have the option of "Squeezebox Touch" or "Vortexbox"... Which do I choose? I don't even understand the question. How is Vortexbox even a player?

What does it mean to "Synchronize"? Does the SQBox need to always be sychronized to the VortexBox?

Silly question, but what exactly IS the "Logitech Media Server"? Does it need to be running? One of the options on the SQBox is "Start Logitech Media Server"... does this need to be running?
    1) "Choose Player" should be set to "Squeezebox Touch"
    2) The "Vortexbox" player plays though the sound card of the Vortexbox PC.
    3) Do not synchronize. This will play the same music through all synchronized devices, and is not needed for your setup
    4) Logitech Media Server MUST BE running on the Vortexbox before you can select the Vortexbox as your music source under the "My Music" menu on the Squeezebox. (Logitech Media Server is the brains behind the Squeezebox - you have to have one running somewhere before you can play anything on the Touch. Somewhere might be the Vortexbox, another local PC you've installed LMS on, or MySqueezebox.com global LMS server).

Regards,
    Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Comment

• aubuti
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by krochat
      1) "Choose Player" should be set to "Squeezebox Touch"
      2) The "Vortexbox" player plays though the sound card of the Vortexbox PC.
      3) Do not synchronize. This will play the same music through all synchronized devices, and is not needed for your setup
      4) Logitech Media Server MUST BE running on the Vortexbox before you can select the Vortexbox as your music source under the "My Music" menu on the Squeezebox. (Logitech Media Server is the brains behind the Squeezebox - you have to have one running somewhere before you can play anything on the Touch. Somewhere might be the Vortexbox, another local PC you've installed LMS on, or MySqueezebox.com global LMS server).
      Also, with respect to (4), the "Start Logitech Media Server" on the SB Touch menu refers to a stripped down version of LMS (sometimes called TinyLMS) that can run on the Touch itself. This is only applicable if you have a USB drive or SD card with your music library connected directly to the Touch. If you have a Vortexbox running LMS, then you do _not_ want to run LMS on the Touch as well.

From your questions it seems likely to me that your main problem is more likely to be not really understanding the system rather than a buggy setup. You should consider that good news, because it's a lot easier to fix than a truly buggy installation :-)
      Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
      Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
      Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
      Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
      Bedroom: SB Radio
      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
      LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• lunchmoney
        • Oct 2011

I'm starting to think this whole endeavor was a giant waste of time and money.

NO MATTER WHAT I DO it never works for more than a day or two.

Some setting always gets off... something always needs to be rebooted... or, like now, I TRY EVERYTHING and it still doesn't work.

It will play for 10 seconds, then just mysteriously stop playing. It will start playing, then pause on its own, or say that it's playing but there's no sound.

Been wrestling with this for MONTHS now, I just want the damn thing to WORK!!!!

ARRRRRRRRGHHH!

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Some basics , do you use dhcp ?

What is the ip of the server what is the ip of the Touch .

What is subnetmask , and DNS etc .

The "vortexbox" is a ready made one or did you load a machine yourself ?

Does it suport WOL (wake on Lan ) does it go to sleep mode ?

Verizon fios is a good search terms on this forum people had problems with that one before ?

If you use another router for your local lan does it work then ?

Edit: if you are up to it technically use static ip and connect VB and Touch directly just as a test (this will not give internet access , but exclude the Verizon router , it just an idea for a test )
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• lunchmoney
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mnyb

No idea what that is

What is the ip of the server what is the ip of the Touch .

I have static IP "50" for the Vbox, Touch is not static yet, maybe that's the next step.... Touch is "3" on the router I think, but not static.

By server do you mean the vortexbox?

What is subnetmask , and DNS etc .

No clue

The "vortexbox" is a ready made one or did you load a machine yourself ?

Ready made one. Recently upgraded to OS 2.0.

Does it suport WOL (wake on Lan ) does it go to sleep mode ?

No clue

Verizon fios is a good search terms on this forum people had problems with that one before ?

If you use another router for your local lan does it work then ?

Haven't tried a different router

Edit: if you are up to it technically use static ip and connect VB and Touch directly just as a test (this will not give internet access , but exclude the Verizon router , it just an idea for a test )
            Of course a big part of the problem is that I don't have a clue for most what you just asked me. See answers above.

When getting into this I didn't realize that you need to be a techy Linux Jedi just to get the thing to work. Maybe this technology isn't ready for the average consumer yet.

Comment

• Mnyb
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by lunchmoney
              Of course a big part of the problem is that I don't have a clue for most what you just asked me. See answers above.

When getting into this I didn't realize that you need to be a techy Linux Jedi just to get the thing to work. Maybe this technology isn't ready for the average consumer yet.
              Ok got it.

Try this on the Touch itself .

Go to the "settings" menu and then "advanced" and then "diagnostics" .

here you have "ethernet info" and "server info" and "wireless info" what do they say ? (some of these menus scroll all info wont fit on one screen )

On the PC you are surfing with,( that probably uses the same network) open a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig /all" what does it say ?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
              Bedroom/Office: Boom
              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• lunchmoney
                • Oct 2011

I've tracked it down to the VortexBox being the problem.

I've been wrestling with it for 6 months now, it never works for more than a couple of days. Something always screws up.

On the Vortexbox I constantly have to reboot it, or correct settings that mysteriously got reset. I can't just listen to music. First I have to wrestle with it for a half an hour, and even then I'm lucky it will work.

So I've decided to simply use the backup hard drive as the library, and just use the VBox for ripping and file management, and occasionally backup to the USB. By doing this it's one less component that needs to talk to the router.

A bit of a punt for sure, but at least it fricking works. I just want to hear some music, I don't relish the constant struggle.

Comment

• radish112
                  • May 2007

lunchmoney,

Just in case you didn't know...there's a VortexBox User Forum at:

vortexbox.org

The forums are pretty active, and there are many users there who are knowledgeable and willing to help...

Good luck.

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

And ultimately the vba should work very simply for you. I suspect the problem is likely some simple settings being incorrect.
                    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• guidof
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mnyb

<snip>

<snip>

)
                      The router that Verizon Fios ordinarily uses (Actiontec MI424) is unlikely to cause any problem, if it is Rev.3. I have it in my network, with a VBA hardwired into it. It has worked just fine.

Guido F.
                      Music Room:
                      Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
                      CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
                      REL T1 Sub
                      Bedroom:
                      Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
                      Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
                      Treadmill:
                      FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Comment

Working...