Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've got a few questions here, please help!

Ok, my Vortexbox / SqueezeBox Touch setup has been very buggy. Always has been. Very frustrating. Sometimes works great, very often it doesn't work at all.

VortexBox and SBT are both connected to the Verizon router with ethernet cables.

Prior to getting into details, I feel like there are a few things I don't understand well enough. Please, if you could be so kind, explain:

What should I select for "Choose Player" on the Logitech Media Server page? I have the option of "Squeezebox Touch" or "Vortexbox"... Which do I choose? I don't even understand the question. How is Vortexbox even a player?

What does it mean to "Synchronize"? Does the SQBox need to always be sychronized to the VortexBox?

Silly question, but what exactly IS the "Logitech Media Server"? Does it need to be running? One of the options on the SQBox is "Start Logitech Media Server"... does this need to be running? Is this only relevant when my computer is present? Very often it's NOT present, and I just want to listen to music from the Vortexbox!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmoney View Post

What should I select for "Choose Player" on the Logitech Media Server page? I have the option of "Squeezebox Touch" or "Vortexbox"... Which do I choose? I don't even understand the question. How is Vortexbox even a player?

What does it mean to "Synchronize"? Does the SQBox need to always be sychronized to the VortexBox?

Silly question, but what exactly IS the "Logitech Media Server"? Does it need to be running? One of the options on the SQBox is "Start Logitech Media Server"... does this need to be running?
    1) "Choose Player" should be set to "Squeezebox Touch"
    2) The "Vortexbox" player plays though the sound card of the Vortexbox PC.
    3) Do not synchronize. This will play the same music through all synchronized devices, and is not needed for your setup
    4) Logitech Media Server MUST BE running on the Vortexbox before you can select the Vortexbox as your music source under the "My Music" menu on the Squeezebox. (Logitech Media Server is the brains behind the Squeezebox - you have to have one running somewhere before you can play anything on the Touch. Somewhere might be the Vortexbox, another local PC you've installed LMS on, or MySqueezebox.com global LMS server).

Regards,
    Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win7 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> Apogee Big Ben -> (TacT S2150 -> Vandersteen 3a Signature) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    1) "Choose Player" should be set to "Squeezebox Touch"
    2) The "Vortexbox" player plays though the sound card of the Vortexbox PC.
    3) Do not synchronize. This will play the same music through all synchronized devices, and is not needed for your setup
    4) Logitech Media Server MUST BE running on the Vortexbox before you can select the Vortexbox as your music source under the "My Music" menu on the Squeezebox. (Logitech Media Server is the brains behind the Squeezebox - you have to have one running somewhere before you can play anything on the Touch. Somewhere might be the Vortexbox, another local PC you've installed LMS on, or MySqueezebox.com global LMS server).
    Also, with respect to (4), the "Start Logitech Media Server" on the SB Touch menu refers to a stripped down version of LMS (sometimes called TinyLMS) that can run on the Touch itself. This is only applicable if you have a USB drive or SD card with your music library connected directly to the Touch. If you have a Vortexbox running LMS, then you do _not_ want to run LMS on the Touch as well.

From your questions it seems likely to me that your main problem is more likely to be not really understanding the system rather than a buggy setup. You should consider that good news, because it's a lot easier to fix than a truly buggy installation :-)

I'm starting to think this whole endeavor was a giant waste of time and money.

NO MATTER WHAT I DO it never works for more than a day or two.

Some setting always gets off... something always needs to be rebooted... or, like now, I TRY EVERYTHING and it still doesn't work.

It will play for 10 seconds, then just mysteriously stop playing. It will start playing, then pause on its own, or say that it's playing but there's no sound.

Been wrestling with this for MONTHS now, I just want the damn thing to WORK!!!!

ARRRRRRRRGHHH!

Some basics , do you use dhcp ?

What is the ip of the server what is the ip of the Touch .

What is subnetmask , and DNS etc .

The "vortexbox" is a ready made one or did you load a machine yourself ?

Does it suport WOL (wake on Lan ) does it go to sleep mode ?

Verizon fios is a good search terms on this forum people had problems with that one before ?

If you use another router for your local lan does it work then ?

Edit: if you are up to it technically use static ip and connect VB and Touch directly just as a test (this will not give internet access , but exclude the Verizon router , it just an idea for a test )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Some basics , do you use dhcp ?

No idea what that is

What is the ip of the server what is the ip of the Touch .

I have static IP "50" for the Vbox, Touch is not static yet, maybe that's the next step.... Touch is "3" on the router I think, but not static.

By server do you mean the vortexbox?

What is subnetmask , and DNS etc .

No clue

The "vortexbox" is a ready made one or did you load a machine yourself ?

Ready made one. Recently upgraded to OS 2.0.

Does it suport WOL (wake on Lan ) does it go to sleep mode ?

No clue

Verizon fios is a good search terms on this forum people had problems with that one before ?

If you use another router for your local lan does it work then ?

Haven't tried a different router

Edit: if you are up to it technically use static ip and connect VB and Touch directly just as a test (this will not give internet access , but exclude the Verizon router , it just an idea for a test )
    Of course a big part of the problem is that I don't have a clue for most what you just asked me. See answers above.

When getting into this I didn't realize that you need to be a techy Linux Jedi just to get the thing to work. Maybe this technology isn't ready for the average consumer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchmoney View Post
    Of course a big part of the problem is that I don't have a clue for most what you just asked me. See answers above.

When getting into this I didn't realize that you need to be a techy Linux Jedi just to get the thing to work. Maybe this technology isn't ready for the average consumer yet.
    Ok got it.

Try this on the Touch itself .

Go to the "settings" menu and then "advanced" and then "diagnostics" .

here you have "ethernet info" and "server info" and "wireless info" what do they say ? (some of these menus scroll all info wont fit on one screen )

On the PC you are surfing with,( that probably uses the same network) open a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig /all" what does it say ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I've tracked it down to the VortexBox being the problem.

I've been wrestling with it for 6 months now, it never works for more than a couple of days. Something always screws up.

On the Vortexbox I constantly have to reboot it, or correct settings that mysteriously got reset. I can't just listen to music. First I have to wrestle with it for a half an hour, and even then I'm lucky it will work.

So I've decided to simply use the backup hard drive as the library, and just use the VBox for ripping and file management, and occasionally backup to the USB. By doing this it's one less component that needs to talk to the router.

A bit of a punt for sure, but at least it fricking works. I just want to hear some music, I don't relish the constant struggle.

lunchmoney,

Just in case you didn't know...there's a VortexBox User Forum at:

vortexbox.org

The forums are pretty active, and there are many users there who are knowledgeable and willing to help...

Good luck.

And ultimately the vba should work very simply for you. I suspect the problem is likely some simple settings being incorrect.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify