Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    The problem here is that LMS is crashing when it starts to do the "deep scan". The scan is in several pieces, the first just looks in the directories for filenames and dates and builds a list of files that are new, this phase seems to work fine. Then it goes and scans the actual files looking for tags and embedded artwork. Then it looks for separate artwork files.

First lets check your directory structure: TinyLMS cannot handle a large number of files in the same directory, the best approach is a separate directory per album and then just the files for that album in the directory. This can be the audio files (*.wav in your case) and possibly a coverart file (cover.jpg). Is all this true?

Your problem seems to be that the scanner is crashing when doing the full scan on your first file. Probably about 75% of crashes with TinyLMS eventually turn out to be related to artwork. So lets first look at your artwork, what format is it in? JPEG (jpg) is the least likely to cause a problem. The pixel dimensions should not be large, 500 x 500 pixels is usually considered a good choice. Check to see that you don't have artwork embedded in the sound files (I'm not sure you caneven do that in WAV) . LMS can handle embedded artwork, BUT due to memory limitations on the Touch a separate image for each track can really cause problems, for TinyLMS it's best to just use a separate cover.jpg and not use embeded artwork.

John S.

Thanks John

Gonna remove three of the 4 jpg files that windows has in each folder, keeping the largest one. Will test if after Ive done all the folders. If still no joy then will remove each album out of the artist folder so there will be no artist folders and test again. Will update with progress. Last thing if still no working is to just have the alabum artwork as a jpeg there in each folder and not as a hidden files as they currently are.

Thanks again everyone

Still no joy. none of the artwork jpegs are over 200 x 200 pixels. even renamed them all in case it was a long file name. reckon now I am just gonna remove all the album cover pictures and see if that works. If it does then I'll test a couple of albums with re tagging them with new cover artwork. Not happy.

any ideas please

Ok. no joy. deleted all album cover artwork so the only thing that exsists is just music files. These are in folders by artist, in side each artist folder is album folder with the tracks inside that.

it scans all the files ok and then goes to process them. Gets to 11% of 7246 files and the LMS stops. Because it stops I can't see anything in my music or any sub folders inside my music as the LMS has stopped.

Can anyone help. Seriously hacked off. Any ideas or suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by m13kyf View Post
    Ok. no joy. deleted all album cover artwork so the only thing that exsists is just music files. These are in folders by artist, in side each artist folder is album folder with the tracks inside that.

it scans all the files ok and then goes to process them. Gets to 11% of 7246 files and the LMS stops. Because it stops I can't see anything in my music or any sub folders inside my music as the LMS has stopped.

Can anyone help. Seriously hacked off. Any ideas or suggestions please
    I think you're treading new ground here, I don't think any of the regulars here rip exclusively to WAV and use TinyLMS to serve them.

What version of software are you running on the Touch? Settings > Advanced > About.

Why don't you install the latest LMS on your PC/laptop, point it at your HDD of WAVs and see if the scan completes. At least it should be easier to debug.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2012-05-10 at 02:21.
    kidstypike
    1 x SB3 - 1 x Boom - 1 x (Squeezebox) Radio - 2 x Touch - 2 x piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I think you're treading new ground here, I don't think any of the regulars here rip exclusively to WAV and use TinyLMS to serve them.

What version of software are you running on the Touch? Settings > Advanced > About.

Why don't you install the latest LMS on your PC/laptop, point it at your HDD of WAVs and see if the scan completes. At least it should be easier to debug.
    Thanks kidstypike for your reply

I was using the latest version software which the squeezebox touch which had automatically updated. Then did a restore factory settings just in case something was screwed. Not sure if its now on the latest version or if it defaults back to the installed version when purchased. Will check.

I'll try the LMS on PC. Connect the USB HDD drive to the PC and see if scan completes. In what way can I debug?

Is my only option to completly start again using FLACs. Why does logitech state it supports them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    Check to see that you don't have artwork embedded in the sound files (I'm not sure you caneven do that in WAV) . LMS can handle embedded artwork, BUT due to memory limitations on the Touch a separate image for each track can really cause problems, for TinyLMS it's best to just use a separate cover.jpg and not use embeded artwork.

John S.

is it possible that even with no artwork on the drive the wav are looking for the associated artwork file and this is causing the crash. What is the best software to use if I have to re rip all my cd's. Media Monkey? Can I convert WAVs to FLAC's in Media Monkey and do you use Media Monkey to tag the files with artwork.

Thanks kidstypike for your reply

I was using the latest version software which the squeezebox touch which had automatically updated. Then did a restore factory settings just in case something was screwed. Not sure if its now on the latest version or if it defaults back to the installed version when purchased. Will check.
    The touch should keep the latest version of the software.

I'll try the LMS on PC. Connect the USB HDD drive to the PC and see if scan completes. In what way can I debug?
    See if the scan completes. In the LMS web UI settings, Information tab, at the bottom there's a link to the scanner log.

Is my only option to completly start again using FLACs. Why does logitech state it supports them.
    I think you would be better off using the full LMS on a dedicated server, TinyLMS is NOT a good user experience.
    kidstypike
    1 x SB3 - 1 x Boom - 1 x (Squeezebox) Radio - 2 x Touch - 2 x piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

I think you would be better off using the full LMS on a dedicated server, TinyLMS is NOT a good user experience.
    I dont want a dedicated server tbh. My whole point of going this route was instead of a Brennan JB7 or the Cocktail Audio box. Just to be able to connect the squeezebox touch into the back of my hifi using the USB HDD as the source. The Sueezebox touch (TinyLMS) fails massively if this is going to be the outcome

I dont want a dedicated server tbh. My whole point of going this route was instead of a Brennan JB7 or the Cocktail Audio box. Just to be able to connect the squeezebox touch into the back of my hifi using the USB HDD as the source. The Sueezebox touch (TinyLMS) fails massively if this is going to be the outcome
    Keep in mind that the dedicated server could be the size of a paperback book. For example, fitpc2 or sheevaplug, etc.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

OP wants to use the Touch and Tiny LMS not with a server. When I got my 1st Touch that is how I used it. I had approx 18K files mostly FLAC along w some Mp3s. Approx. 1/3 had embedded artwork as well as a cover.jpg file in the album folder. I used a Toshiba Canvio 2.0 1TB HDD and SBS 7.5.3. It worked. The only reason I changed to using a network was ease of adding new files. It of course now scans much faster. I have since updated to LMS 7.7.1 and it works fine.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...stering-TinySB - this is an extensive thread he might look at for help.

I again say that having an artist folder is not necessary if all albums are tagged the same in the artist field they will show up together when doing a search by artist. Having an artist folder is adding another layer for the scan to go through.