Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you're moving a server between networks, then it sounds like a really good reason to NOT use a static IP address. After all, there's no need for it with Squeezeboxes and their server discovery ability. And ultimately what use is it anyway when you can neither dictate nor predict what the address will be?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    If you're moving a server between networks, then it sounds like a really good reason to NOT use a static IP address. After all, there's no need for it with Squeezeboxes and their server discovery ability. And ultimately what use is it anyway when you can neither dictate nor predict what the address will be?
    It seems like you're saying: "You really don't want what you think you want, so don't even try."

So tell me, absent:

• access to the router
    • access to the dhcp server
    • a broken lms that won't start
    • no monitor or keyboard on the server
    • only an iPad with a ssh terminal app to remotely access the server

..how would you go about logging in and fixing things? Don't you think having a static address for the server might be an advantage here? Maybe save you a little time??? (Note to self: google "iPad network scan apps".) Also, consider this: this server is running other services for which there is no discovery mechanism. Again, don't you think a static address would be helpful? I mean, we are talking about subnets here with *maybe* max 5 or 6 devices on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    ..how would you go about logging in and fixing things?
    Does that happen to you a lot? If had a server that I was carting around like an iPod then I'd want to make sure it was just about as reliable before carrying it out of the house.

..how would you go about logging in and fixing things? Don't you think having a static address for the server might be an advantage here? Maybe save you a little time??? (Note to self: google "iPad network scan apps".) Also, consider this: this server is running other services for which there is no discovery mechanism. Again, don't you think a static address would be helpful?
    There's no host name resolution on these networks?

Does that happen to you a lot? If had a server that I was carting around like an iPod then I'd want to make sure it was just about as reliable before carrying it out of the house.
    Exactly. That's what's driving this particular effort.

There's no host name resolution on these networks?
    Here's a typical user of the type I'm dealing with: Julliard grad; plays principal flute with all the top ensembles in New York, GOT HER FIRST EVER CELL PHONE LAST WEEK. WAS STILL USING DIAL-UP TO ACCESS THE INTERNET UNTIL LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. I don't think we can make any assumptions about name resolution on her network.

Audio cues are fun an can work, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    It seems like you're saying: "You really don't want what you think you want, so don't even try."

So tell me, absent:

• access to the router
    • access to the dhcp server
    • a broken lms that won't start
    • no monitor or keyboard on the server
    • only an iPad with a ssh terminal app to remotely access the server

..how would you go about logging in and fixing things?
    I use sometimes the following trick. When I ask "what is the address of your computer?" and visibly won't get an answer, I fallback to: "send me an email from your computer right now." I get the mail and by looking at the headers I will read something like "Received: from [192.168.0.8] …" and this gives me a hint.

On a headless server I have used the Espeak TTS program to speak computer status around important boot phases.
    I also re-hooked the "ACPI button" (aka Power button) to get live status information when the button is pressed. (I failed at attempts to use a keypad hooked to LIRC, which would have provided for more buttons/codes. Perhaps I did not try hard enough.)
    For simple messages, plugging a pair of headphones + launching a TTS can replace the screen.

(on a Mac, you can get an impression very easily by using "say" in the Terminal, like "say my address is now 192.168.1.222". Espeak is not as good a TTS, I believe. But you'll get the general idea.)

EDIT: I also played with installing a full "for the blind" UI (don't remember the debian package's name), but it didn't fit the need. It is just too complex for a casual user (keyboard shortcuts, a lot of situational information -eg cursor position, possible actions) and speaks (very) fast rather than well. (again on the mac/ithing trying out a UI for the visually impaired is just a few clicks away.)

EDIT2: I wrote a message about this already, look here for the message. Download here the espeak vocal status example mirroring the screenshot in the message (mp3 file; the silly german accent was my choice...)
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2012-05-05 at 07:24.
    4 SB 3 • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • SqueezeLite • Squeezebox Server 7.8.1 (Debian 7.5) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • ShairTunes by StuartUSA • Local Player, BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.