Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Switching Libraries - what is this all about ?

I run a Touch with my music on my home PC running LMS.

I also have a USB stick inserted which contains no music but does have pictures which I use with the slideshow feature on the Touch.

I used to be able to switch seemlessly between listening to music on by PC (My Music) and the Spotify App. Lately I have been selecting Spotify and getting "Cannot resolve IP address of mysqueezebox.com". If I then choose to Switch Library to "Adam's Squeezebox (USB)" then Spotify works. Then if I try My Music it is pointing at the USB stick which contains no music so I have to switch Libraries again.

I have put the Switch Libraries option on my front screen to make things easier. However, do I really need to do all this Library Switching or is something setup wrong - I am sure that I did not use to have to do this? Also I cannot see the connection between Spotify and the USB Library - surely they are unrelated?

No, you shouldn't need to do any library switching. I have no idea why the SB can't find mysqueezebox.com when connected to your regular LMS, but can when connected via the Touch's built-in LMS (which is what the USB stick is using). Try rebooting your router to see if that takes care of the "Cannot resolve IP address..." error.

What version of LMS is running on your PC, and what version on the Touch's built-in server?

Tried rebooting my router - but still the same.

LMS on my PC is v7.7.1 whilst the Touch is v7.7.2

OK I have now also rebooted my PC and the problem appears to be fixed.

Earlier I had tried exiting LMS and restarting it but this did NOT fix the the problem. I noticed when you do this LMS reloads quicker than when it the PC reboots. When I reboot the LMS is flashing for a fair while as the software loads - does a reboot reset the LMS better than just exiting and restarting?

What OS, and exactly how are you restarting LMS? On Linux I don't notice any difference between restarting LMS vs rebooting the pc.

It is Windows XP - when I reboot the LMS icon flashes as it loads in the system tray (takes a good couple of minutes before it says it is running). However, when I exit the running software and restart with my Desktop icon it seems to load straight away. The fact that the reboot fixed my problem suggests to me that the reboot startup is doing more stuff than a simple exit and restart.

Quote Originally Posted by theadmans View Post
    It is Windows XP - when I reboot the LMS icon flashes as it loads in the system tray (takes a good couple of minutes before it says it is running). However, when I exit the running software and restart with my Desktop icon it seems to load straight away. The fact that the reboot fixed my problem suggests to me that the reboot startup is doing more stuff than a simple exit and restart.
    I don't run LMS on Windows so I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that when you exit via the systray you may not really be stopping LMS. That would also be consistent with the fast "restart" and the failure of that "restart" to fix the issue you're having.

Are you running LMS as a service? If so, then to stop/start you need to do it through the services control (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > LMS).

OK thanks for the reply - I'll try the Control Panel stop / start the next time I get a problem - should be quicker than a full reboot.