Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Change IP address of the Duet Controller?

Hello!
    I have a setup with a ReadyNAS Ultra with a fixed IP address, a SB Touch connected with Ehternet to the NAS. I also use the Duet Controller instead of the Touch remote.
    When I connect new PCs to my network, they usually conflict with each other or the SB addresses. That's why I moved the NAS to a fixed address.
    I see that the controller uses the same IP address as the Touch. Is that normal?
    I have looked in the Controller, but can't find a way to set a fixed IP address?
    Can anyone advise?
    (I have cross-posted in the Touch forum, too. If I violated anything, please erase one.)
    Last edited by Zombie; 2012-04-24 at 08:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    When I connect new PCs to my network, they usually conflict with each other or the SB addresses.
    Sounds like there's something wrong with your DHCP setup. If it is, then that's probably the root of all your problems, and the first (and hopefully only) thing you should concentrate on fixing.

I see that the controller uses the same IP address as the Touch. Is that normal?
    No. Two devices on the same network should never have the same IP address.

(By the way, for some Squeezebox models, the WiFi interface has the same MAC address as the same Ethernet interface, which would cause a DHCP server to assign them the same IP, in principle. This is a non-standard setup, and probably not very good practice, but it "happens to" work, because in practice, the two interfaces are never active at the same time (on the same network segment).)

Can anyone advise?
    1) Fix your DHCP issue.
    2) Enjoy the music.

For fixing the DHCP issue:
    * See to that you have no more or less than 1 (one) DHCP server/service on your network. Got two routers? Then you probably need to disable the DHCP server on one of them.
    * Check the DHCP setup. Is there a dynamic pool? Does it overlap with your static addresses? If it does, change the pool range, or change your static IPs.
    * Or quit using static IPs altogether. If your router (or wherever the DHCP service is running) supports it, using "static DHCP" is often better and easier than using a mix of DHCP and static IPs.
    Last edited by Soulkeeper; 2012-04-24 at 08:21.

I have two routers, one that connects to the outside, but my SB/NAS is on another router connected to the first. My work PC is also connected to the second router.
    I'll check the routers firmware.

I have two routers, one that connects to the outside, but my SB/NAS is on another router connected to the first. My work PC is also connected to the second router.
    I'll check the routers firmware.
    Also check the settings on the two routers. If both routers are handing out IP addresses then it's not a huge surprise that you are getting conflicts. It is possible to make a network with two routers work, but it doesn't sound as if you have it set up correctly. Why the two routers anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Why the two routers anyway?
    The first router is the way out to the Internet, the other router, which is in another room, is connected to the frist router.
    The second router has the NAS, Touch, Duet Controller and my work PC connected to it. There is no possibility for a DCHP mixup.

That doesn't really answer the question, because from your description there's no reason a single router couldn't handle the same. But that's only a tangent anyway, so let's drop that for now.

If you routinely get IP address conflicts and "there is no possibility for a DHCP mixup" then the only other possibility that leaves is a mixup in assigning static IPs. Maybe you're assigning static IPs that are in one (or both) of the router's DHCP ranges, or a "static DHCP" address that has already been assigned. Or maybe you're assigning the same static IP to two devices. Those may seem unlikely, but after you've categorically ruled out DHCP as the problem I don't see what other possibilities exist.

To assign a true static IP to the SBC or Touch you can ssh into the device and edit the /etc/network/interfaces file. Or, as Mnyb noted in your other thread, you can temporarily turn off DHCP on the router(s) and re-do the setup routine, at which point it should prompt you for a static IP.