Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SqueezeBox Radio and Home Server over 2 wireless routers

Since moving house and now needing to have 2 wireless routers to get wireless coverage in all rooms (some bright spark has made a kitchen wall impenetrable to wireless signals) I have issues moving the radio around. Once it is connected tot he server on one wireless router, if I move it to the other wireless router it connects to the router, but promptly loses connection to my Home SqueezeBox server. After a few minutes of telling it to reconnect it gets the idea and communicates to the squeezebox server and thus can be used again.

Does anyone have any idea why it takes so long to reestablish connection to the home server and thus be usable, is it a router/switch router/arp caching issue or the squeezebox home server software?

Setup:
    The radio is linked to my local squeezebox server running on a mini pc that is connected to the master router.
    The master router has the adsl line, DHCP enabled and a wireless signal.
    The secondary router has DHCP disabled and a wireless signal.
    The 2 routers are connected by an Ethernet wire running from standard lan ports on both. Both have the same SSID and password, but are on different channels (1 & 6). The 2 SSIDS are hidden by default, but being shown seems to have no effect on this.
    The radio has a static ip address as a legacy setting due to the below note.

Note: I have 2 routers as one has a firmware issue around DHCP and wireless being enabled together. So I use this dodgy one as the secondary with DHCP disabled on it.

pski
    I can't speak about the radio but my experience with sbr's shows they are very tenacious about talking to their "previous" AP even if there is an AP right next to them with a 100% signal.

P

The old roaming bug valid for controller but probably aplies to the similar radio .

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6085
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Time for a set of Homeplug's? I use a Homeplug Turbo setup in my house to connect LMS on a Windows Home Server with 2 x SB Touch and 1 x SB Radio and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet9010 View Post
    The radio is linked to my local squeezebox server running on a mini pc that is connected to the master router.
    The master router has the adsl line, DHCP enabled and a wireless signal.
    The secondary router has DHCP disabled and a wireless signal.
    The 2 routers are connected by an Ethernet wire running from standard lan ports on both. Both have the same SSID and password, but are on different channels (1 & 6). The 2 SSIDS are hidden by default, but being shown seems to have no effect on this.
    The radio has a static ip address as a legacy setting due to the below note.
    Some comments:
    - Hidden SSIDs do not really provide security and tend to mess things up. General advice on these forums are to show the SSIDs.
    - I have a setup much like yourself (except there is homeplugs between the routers). You have to turn of DHCP on one router even if your DHCP was working as you can only have one router issues IPs. You shouldn't need to have a static IP for this to work. Perhaps you can try without a static IP for the radio?
    - I don't have a radio though so haven't tested if the squeezebox hardware switches efficiently. I have seen that my mobile (while using wifi) sometimes gets stuck on the worse router.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Ironically I do actually use home plugs between the 2 routers, but for simplicity sake I called it an Ethernet connection. As both ends are Ethernet in to the routers and their are no other home plugs on the power network, so they should be invisible to the routers as I believe home plugs run as an old fashioned star network.

I tend to wonder around the house and carry the radio with me, so plugging in hard wired using home plugs isn't really a practical solution, plus no power sockets in the bath room (I do try not to drop it in the bath tub and see if my hair stands up :P).

Thanks for the bug link, that does look like my issue. As the radio switches between the APs quite quickly (wireless strength bar jumps up from weak (but still working) to full). Its just that it then loses connection to the squeezebox home server.

DHCP is disabled on the secondary router (repeater), but I will try unhiding the SSIDs and reset the radio to factory defaults to clear the static address and see if it has any effect (seperatly).

Wireless settings in case they are relevant: WPA AES, N G & B, 2 separate channels.
    I did notice some people talking about being on the same channel in the bug report, but I don't see how that could cause anything but interference.

EDIT: Results of test: Unhiding SSIDs and removing Mac Address Filtering had no effect.
    Neither did resetting my radio to factory defaults. Having it use DHCP caused it to be unable to abtain an IP address when it mvoed from the Master to the Secondary Router. The entry remained in the masters DHCP table, but the Radio claimed to be unable to obtain an IP address. Had to set to reserved DHCP and then behaviour back to same as static IP address.
    It appears when the Radio first moves between routers that it connects to the wireless and shows as a device on the router wireless station, but can't be pinged from a pc on either router. This makes me really suspect it is a routing issue within my routers (and/or internal switches) holding on to the entry and I have to wait for it to expire before they re-query and discover that my radios mac address has move to a different interface port. If only i had expensive Cisco routers/switches to test this with rather than cheapo broadband routers which don't give detailed stats on this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Muppet9010; 2012-04-27 at 11:46.