Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Streaming volume control?

I am new to Squeezebox.

I am trying to set up a system where the music being played can be controlled through a browser. I set up squeezebox server and loaded my music. So far so good.

For the player, I am using mplayer streaming:

mplayer -really-quiet -cache 8192 -cache-min 5 URL_WOULD_GO_HERE/stream.mp3

This works really well, except that the volume control in the Squeezebox server doesn't work. I need a volume control...

So... How should I set up Squeezebox server + some sort of software player to play music with a functional volume control in the squeezebox server?

Is there some way to hook the Squeezebox server directly into pulseaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdondo View Post
    I am new to Squeezebox.

I am trying to set up a system where the music being played can be controlled through a browser. I set up squeezebox server and loaded my music. So far so good.

For the player, I am using mplayer streaming:

mplayer -really-quiet -cache 8192 -cache-min 5 URL_WOULD_GO_HERE/stream.mp3

This works really well, except that the volume control in the Squeezebox server doesn't work. I need a volume control...

So... How should I set up Squeezebox server + some sort of software player to play music with a functional volume control in the squeezebox server?

Is there some way to hook the Squeezebox server directly into pulseaudio?

install squeezeplay as your player. give it a name and "choose player" of that name within squeezeplay. And Squeezeplay can be a software player (and can control itself or any other Squeeebox player. install from here (all versions are beta, but they work fine)
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    install squeezeplay as your player. give it a name and "choose player" of that name within squeezeplay. And Squeezeplay can be a software player (and can control itself or any other Squeeebox player. install from here (all versions are beta, but they work fine)
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.7
    OK, I got squeezeplay installed. Tried both version 7.4 and 7.7 beta.

7.4 complains that it can't find a video output device.

7.7 throws tons of errors like this:

20120421 15:29:25.866 WARN squeezeplay.ui.draw - _load_image:207 Error loading tile image /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/Alerts/wifi_connecting.png: Unsupported image format

and eventually ends up at a black screen.

Since I'm running Ubuntu 64-bit, I'm guessing I'm missing a 32 bit png lib or utility somewhere. Any clues on which one? Or is there a 64 bit binary anwyere? The tarball is not source; it's binary as well....

Edit:

Is there a CLI client that I can use?
    Last edited by cptdondo; 2012-04-21 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdondo View Post
    OK, I got squeezeplay installed. Tried both version 7.4 and 7.7 beta.

7.4 complains that it can't find a video output device.

7.7 throws tons of errors like this:

20120421 15:29:25.866 WARN squeezeplay.ui.draw - _load_image:207 Error loading tile image /opt/squeezeplay/share/jive/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/Alerts/wifi_connecting.png: Unsupported image format

and eventually ends up at a black screen.

Since I'm running Ubuntu 64-bit, I'm guessing I'm missing a 32 bit png lib or utility somewhere. Any clues on which one? Or is there a 64 bit binary anwyere? The tarball is not source; it's binary as well....

Edit:

Is there a CLI client that I can use?
    ah yes, I think there are some issues with linux version. can't help there, but search these forums for some discussion and possible solutions. My need to use squeezeslave as a player instead.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

ah yes, I think there are some issues with linux version. can't help there, but search these forums for some discussion and possible solutions. My need to use squeezeslave as a player instead.
    this thread may help:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ays-up-to-192k

I spent most of yesterday trying to get this to work. The goal was to have a player that is controllable via a web browser that needs no intervention to set up.

So.... After a lot of effort, I got it set up. Here's a mini-howto:

You need multi-seat. Really. Pulseaudio requires an X client running, and we want this to be invisible. So you need an X session in the background. So set up kdm as your login manager (gdm can't do multiseat right now).

Set up the user you want, use pavucontrol to configure the correct sound device, make sure it all works through reboots! Make sure to add your user to pulse-access and audio groups (I use ldap auth, and it doesn't like that. The pulse-audio membership has to be stated in /etc/group. Go figure.)

Then in kdmrc, set up the user you will use to autologin:

Code:
    [X-:3-Core]
    AutoLoginEnable=true
    AutoLoginLocked=true
    AutoLoginUser=kitchen
    ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors
    ServerCmd=/usr/bin/Xvfb :3 -I
    Xvfb is a virtual frame buffer; it acts just like a real X client but does not actually need any hardware. We autostart this session; that takes care of starting pulse audio and all of the other stuff. The -I option tells it to ignore all the options tht kdm throws at it; Xvfb barfs on vtNN which kdm always adds.

Build squeezeslave. Google for it; it's in the slimdevices wiki. It's a self-contained binary with no external libs; just copy it where you want when you're done.

Lastly, in the desktop of your background user, set up squeezeslave to start up on login. You want to use this invocation:

Code:
    /opt/squeezeslave/bin/squeezeslave -m 00:00:00:00:00:04 -F --daemon /tmp/sqs.4.log
    The -m option sets a virtual MAC address for the squeezeslave; it shows up in the squeeze server as "squeezeslave X".

You can have multiple squeezeslaves, playing on multiple sound cards, as long as each squeezeslave has a different mac address and connects to a different sound card.

Volume control works, playlists work, everything works.

That's it. Yaay!
    Last edited by cptdondo; 2012-04-22 at 18:00.