Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    <slap forehead> Yes, you're absolutely right. What I wrote doesn't make sense. Thanks for putting it straight.

EDIT: to the OP, have you checked to see if the problem could be with your pc's BIOS? For example, the wake-on-magic-packet-only setting not working. See if there is newer firmware available.
    A distinct possibility , my old server who I'm decommissioning rigth now has abroken nic on the mobo , it has the peculiar habit of not listening to wol (the temp nic i mounted on pci does not support it ) but happily wake itself after shutdown -,-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I know this was nearly a year ago and a lot has happened since then, but did anyone ever find a workaround?

I see there is an open bug that is unlikely to get any attention addressing just this (on the Radio, but still).

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16286

Nope.

I no longer have my touch, but still use Squeezeplay.

Actually turns out to be LMS preventing sleep. Well, the computer will go to sleep, but wakes up within less than a minute.

Now I'm using Squeezeplay things are worse. Squeezeplay actually prevents the PC from entering sleep at all! So, well, I've given up and just keep the damn PC running.

D'oh!

Thanks for your reply. Still looking into this but it is definitely a WOL issue here (Power Troubleshooter shows than the PC was woken by the ethernet card). At the moment it seems maybe the 3rd party Spotify app is bringing the problem to light, even if it is not the direct cause.

- if I reboot the Touch the PC sleeps initially fine
    - If I play an internet radio station and put the Touch to sleep the PC still stays asleep
    - Once I play a track using 3rd party Spotify app the PC will not sleep.

I do realize this may not be anything to do with that app it may simply be the way tracks are played when the app is used and so it may affect other things to, but since that app is still supported (better than the Squeezeboxes themselves now!) we might get to the bottom of it.

^ This is not always so simple. I spent a lot of time with similar probs about a year ago. Everything, and I mean everything, was set up correctly if I had access to it (I'm not new to any of this stuff). As somebody else said, the root problem turned out to be my PC's BIOS. You should know that a lot of BIOSs aren't set up to handle WOL properly in a modern network (wired in my case), so it'll never work 100% correctly. I can say that ALL the Touch-related firmware and software (incl. LMS) is not the problem, so don't waste a lot of time playing with that, just set up the obvious WOL items properly.

Luckily there was an "optional" (Dell-speak for "we admit nothing") BIOS update for me that of course never mentioned that one of the things it fixed was WOL. Just saying...try to research your BIOS, and a hint (it was a year ago!, best I can remember) is to search for a pro remote network-maintenance software product that is supposed to work with your PC. If one exists for you, the manual will tell you how to set WOL up, what BIOS/settings/etc. you need. My "music server" PC wasn't mentioned, yours might be, the manual DL was free, it had generally useful to me WOL info anyways.

Could well be the MB network card/bios, makes sense.

My board's an Asus P8H61-M.

^ Exactly; if the network interface is integrated on the MB, the BIOS is what's controlling it. It was the growing demand/requirement for remote corporate network management that caused a lot of manufacturers to fix the WOL at the properly lowest levels of network interface, and not at the higher/easier-to-update levels like some had previously tried.

I struggled for a long time with this.

Eventually I figured out that turning off "wake on pattern match" in my advanced NIC settings was the one thing that worked.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
    I struggled for a long time with this.

Eventually I figured out that turning off "wake on pattern match" in my advanced NIC settings was the one thing that worked.
    Afaik the thing you need and that squeezeboxes ( and derative software players ) and some mobile controllers use is "magic packet" to Wake the server .

You probably find the setting for "magic packet" at the same menu .

I do used WoL this way and and it works when it should .

Now i have question on My own :

WoL and virtual machines ? ESXi any one found any good resource explaining whats what ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html