Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to get the Squeezebox Touch to work with CH3HNAS

I have in my home network a CH3HNAS installed. As of today I also own a Squeezebox Touch. Unfortunately the squeezebox does not see the MP3 library or even the CH3HNAS. Can anyone help me to get it working?

Thank you!!

Welcome. Do you have Logitech Media Server (LMS) installed on the NAS, or on any other computer on your network? That's the first step.

Re: How to get the Squeezebox Touch to work with CH3HNAS

I have installed squeezebox server on my PC, but I do not want to have my PC running each time I want to use my squeezebox, as my music library is on my NAS. I cannot install Squeezebox server on my NAS.

You can use internet radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify and other online services without your pc or NAS on -- just switch the music source to mysqueezebox.com. To listen to your own music, you need LMS running somewhere. It could be a pc, a NAS that supports LMS, or the Touch's built-in LMS. However, to use the Touch's built-in LMS the music library has to be on a USB drive or SD card connected directly to the Touch. It is technically possible to get the Touch's built-in LMS to reach out to a NAS, but people who have done it have found the performance to be lousy.

So if you don't want to have your pc on to listen to your local library, and your NAS can't accommodate LMS, then it looks like your last option is a USB drive connected to the Touch. You should also note that the success rate with the Touch's built-in LMS is mixed: works fine for some, terribly for others.

Another option is to get a small inexpensive computer to run LMS on. Things like a sheevaplug ($100) or a DockStar will do nicely. These take so little power you can easily run them 24/7. The LMS on one of these can talk to the NAS and send the data to the Touch.

John S.

There are other NAS boxes to be had that can suport LMS the CH3HNAS seems to have even less CPU power than the Touch itself so maybe not ideal for this, the performance of this nas looks like they used to be 4 years ago :-/
    But for the money (it is unusually cheap ) it can be used for it purpose a file storage Box , but abusing NAS as server inevitable leads to more "server like" performance the latest ready nas ,qnap and synology has this .

We must make a compromise somewhere you can't have 1w power use and a <100ú price tag at the same time as ligthning fast performance at multiple tasks .

Personally I have a mini-itx box that i built myself (my old server ) now I'm seting up an HP proliant microserver for my squeezeboxes .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Installation of Squeezeserver on a CH3HNAS

Does anyone have experience with the installation of squeezeserver to the CH3HNAS? If so where can I find a tutorial?

Don't bother, it can't be done. As far as I can Google the specs, that's a right pig of a NAS with a woefully underpowered CPU and only 64 MB RAM.