Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

connection problems - whats going on?????

always seem to have trouble getting the box to play internet radio. ill list a few things i cant explain.

firstly ive always had trouble connecting automatically, but i sussed that if i press 'my music' it tries to connect to a different library. so i let it, then 'switch library' to mine. then it connects. sometimes :-) i can be ages pressing the back button and trying again, and get a variation of messages. often it says 'http://1.0 403 forbidden 6 music' so i go back. then it says 'now playing', but it isnt. then it says 'stopped'. so i press the play button and get 'fetching track details' then 'stopped'. invariably i power down and try again. id say success is 50%.

somehting its just started doing now is telling me theres an update to 7.7.2 r9663, so i let it. then next time it tells me theres an update to 7.7.1 r9558 which i assume is an earlier version. i cant cancel it, the only option is to let it carry on. so i let it. then later it tells me theres an update to the higher one. i seem to spend ages changing updates to the same two.

anyone explain how i can get it working better please?

Move your "Switch Library" menu item to your Home menu, then you can select exactly which library to connect to right off the bat.
    Do you have two LMS instances running?

The upgrade loop is usually caused by the two servers (LMS on your computer and MySB.com online) being different versions. If so then you will indeed be prompted to upgrade/downgrade upon each server switch. To avoid this:

- update your LMS to 7.7.2 (same as on MySB.com)
    - ignore the update (swipe screen from L to R), only need to do this when connected to one server
    - don't switch servers staying on only LMS or MySB.com

thanks mate.

ok, just moved my switch library to home menu, so thats one job done :-)

youre right, i sometimes have 2 servers running, is that a problem? and if so why? i have LMS running on my laptop, and my wife has it on hers too, this is the other option in the switch library.

as for the upgrade, mine is 7.7.2 already, same as SB online, so why would it ever ask me to downgrade?? thanks for the tip on ignoring it tho when it prompts me, ill try that next time. and as for switching servers, i never use online server anyway. i suppose thats because i dont know why i would :-) i must admit i dont understand all this server stuff, and dont really understand what SB online does. my knowledge is limited to knowing that i have my music on my laptop, my server on my laptop, SB touch and laptop pick up my wifi and send music or internet radio requests to my amp and speakers. i see SB online as an option but dont know why or when i would ever use that instead of my local server.

thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by sadexpunk View Post
    thanks mate.

ok, just moved my switch library to home menu, so thats one job done :-)

youre right, i sometimes have 2 servers running, is that a problem? and if so why? i have LMS running on my laptop, and my wife has it on hers too, this is the other option in the switch library.

as for the upgrade, mine is 7.7.2 already, same as SB online, so why would it ever ask me to downgrade?? thanks for the tip on ignoring it tho when it prompts me, ill try that next time. and as for switching servers, i never use online server anyway. i suppose thats because i dont know why i would :-) i must admit i dont understand all this server stuff, and dont really understand what SB online does. my knowledge is limited to knowing that i have my music on my laptop, my server on my laptop, SB touch and laptop pick up my wifi and send music or internet radio requests to my amp and speakers. i see SB online as an option but dont know why or when i would ever use that instead of my local server.

thanks for your help
    Maybe your wife's LMS server is version 7.7.1? OK to have multiple servers (and just use switch library to move from one to the other). But easier if both are using the same version of LMS (e.g., 7.7.2).

Regarding the online LMS server (mysqueezebox.com), you are correct. You NEVER need to connect to it as long as you are running one of your local servers. It is useful for folks that don't want to run a local server (but of course they are then limited to internet radio and online music services (MOG, Pandora, etc.). You do need to enter your "mysqueezebox.com" credentials, even in your own local LMS server, as this is what allows your server to talk with services such as Pandora, MOG, Spotify, SiriusXM, etc.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

thanks, just checked and her software was indeed 7.7.1 so ive updated it. hopefully thatll stop the upgrade issues :-)

as you mention spotify, can i just ask if you know why it wont work on my sytem now? i started by paying the tenner a month option for a trial period, but just found that i didnt use it, 6 music is just so good thats nearly always on now :-) but anyway, it worked fine, but now ive downgraded to a freebie account (lower quality plus ads) it wont work at all. does this sound right? surely it should still work whatever account i have?

thanks a lot

Free spotify won't work on squeeze boxes. Free pandora will work.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

excellent (your reply, not the answer :-), thanks a lot. im getting to understand it a bit more now.

any idea about the connection failures with those messages at the start? id have thought this morning would be a clean sheet with the changes i made, but it still came up with 'http://1.0 403 forbidden 6 music' and 'stopped' at first. i had to go back and then press 'play' again to get it to start.
    and sometimes it says 'now playing' or 'fetching track details' when it isnt playing.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadexpunk View Post
    but it still came up with 'http://1.0 403 forbidden 6 music' and 'stopped' at first.
    403 message comes from the station which means BBC didn't want to service your request.

If your player is playing through mysqueezebox.com then it is possible that BBC geo-ip blocking issue is still messing things ups (it starteded a few weeks ago but I thought no longer affected UK users) as mysb.com server may not be UK based. If you connected through your local LMS (i.e connected to My Music) then BBC will service request.

How are you connected to BBC and what format ? The geo-ip blocking seems affect WMA more often than AAC.

Your best bet would be to use Triode's BBCiPlayer plugin / applet (depending on whether you are using LMS or mysb.com) and choose AAC as the preferred format.

You could also try adding below url to your favourites and using it:
    BBC 6 Music -
    mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/6music/6music_bb_live_eq1_sl0#slim:noscan=1

sorry mate, not techy enough to understand that :-D

what i can tell you is im connecting through the server on my laptop. the squeezebox connects to my laptops name, then i go to favourites where 6 music is stored. i select it, and thats where these messages start. id say 50% of the time it messes up but i ususally get there in the end after much pressing of 'back' then trying again.

thanks