Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

upgrade ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04?

I just went to install security updates on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine and was told it was no longer supported, and I should do an upgrade to 11.04.

How much risk is there in letting it do the upgrade? The alternative, painful as it sounds, is to rebuild the machine from scratch using 11.04. There are some things I'd have to fight to reconfigure, including the modem (used for caller id display on the sb devices), samba, and some other filesharing stuff. Not my preference to rebuild...

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Well I, for one, prefer to do a clean install. I've got my installation routine down to the point that I can build up a fully configured LMS box based on ubuntu server in about an hour. I worked out a series of admin scripts that do most of the heavy lifting: configure the network, firewall, fstab, samba; install extra packages; configure lighttpd, minidlna, etc. If you can precisely document your configuration process and then scriptify it, I think you'll find that that pays real dividends over time...at least I feel that it has for me.

Also, remember that we're only a little more than a week away from the release of 12.04LTS. I'd wait and go with that version when it's released. Download the ISO on 4/27 and then monitor this forum and see if folks have run into any hiccups getting LMS running on 12.04.

I had to to a reinstall a few weeks ago and opted for Ubuntu 12.04 Server (beta) with LMS 7.7.2 (beta). No problems - works like a charm.

(I'll do the (almost) automatic upgrade to stable as soon as 12.04 is out and I don't expect any problems....)

i did a test install of 7.7.2 on 12.04 and it worked like a charm.

i thoroughly endorse the clean install approach.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware Player
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> Creek Destiny Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF LS50
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e

Very little trouble migrating from opensuse 12.1 to lubuntu 12.04.
    Install and startup are seamless and I was even able to use my 116G LVM partition that has all my flac files.
    Awesome.
    Bob Harper

for what it┤s worth - moved my environment to ubuntu 12.04 and lms 7.7.2.

simplest -clean slate- install i can remember. works like a charm and seems quite a bit faster and more power efficient on my hw platform.

1. install ubuntu 12.04 (i used the alternate install, but have used the standard one before)
    2. install unrestricted extras (the standard install disk asks for your approval to do so early)
    3. if your music is on an external ntfs drive, the "ntfs configuration tool" continues to be your friend
    4. install logitech media server

not a single glitch.
    Last edited by pablolie; 2012-05-26 at 08:11.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine running Ubuntu 12.04 + LMS 7.7.3 on VMware Player
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> Creek Destiny Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF LS50
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e

Ubuntu Server 12.04 64 bit

Have any of you tried upgrading to or doing a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04 64 bit and adding LMS to that? I've wasted days trying - there are a whole range of unmet CPAN dependencies, so I've reverted to Server 10.10. It's not an Internet facing box so 'm not overly converned that the OS may in time harbour security weaknesses. On the other hand, if you've succeeded in running SBS or LMS on Server 12.04 64 bit I'd appreciate it if you could provide some guidance re how to resolve the dependencies.
    SqueezeWand | Vivere DAC MKI | ATC SCA2 | ATC SCM100ASLT

Linux finally gets a great audio tagger: puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomuze View Post
    Have any of you tried upgrading to or doing a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 12.04 64 bit and adding LMS to that? I've wasted days trying - there are a whole range of unmet CPAN dependencies, so I've reverted to Server 10.10. It's not an Internet facing box so 'm not overly converned that the OS may in time harbour security weaknesses. On the other hand, if you've succeeded in running SBS or LMS on Server 12.04 64 bit I'd appreciate it if you could provide some guidance re how to resolve the dependencies.
    I did a clean install of 12.04 64b server about a month ago. I think everything worked right out of th box. I generally run from the svn (and now git) code, though. I have a standard setup script that I use with new server installs that adds a bunch of packages, mostly development libraries. It may be that some of the packages I'm installing are allowing me to dodge the dependency bullet. Unfortunately, I'm away from home for the next two weeks. Otherwise, I'd share the script.

upgrade ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04?

On Tuesday 05 Jun 2012 21:34:20 audiomuze wrote:
    > Have any of you tried upgrading to or doing a fresh install of Ubuntu
    > Server 12.04 64 bit and adding LMS to that? I've wasted days trying -
    > there are a whole range of unmet CPAN dependencies, so I've reverted to
    > Server 10.10. It's not an Internet facing box so 'm not overly
    > converned that the OS may in time harbour security weaknesses. On the
    > other hand, if you've succeeded in running SBS or LMS on Server 12.04 64
    > bit I'd appreciate it if you could provide some guidance re how to
    > resolve the dependencies.

Just tried installing LMS on my laptop that is running Kubuntu 64bit 12.04
    upgraded from 11.10 and it installed fine. Thought I'd do this before
    upgrading my server from 11.10 just in case there was any problems with it.