Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

MusicIP cache issue on linux Amahi 64bit (fedora 14) problems - help needed

Answers no longer needed - for me at any rate. I have given up and gone back to WHS. Thanks anyway. Coppo

I have just made the leap from whs to linux - was waiting for WHS 2011 but have decided to jump in the linux direction instead. I am new to linux but know windows/squeezebox/musicip generally well. I have installed Amahi 64 bit on the old whs hardware - atom 330 mini ITX. I have got squeeze server running fine and am working my way through the muddy terrain that is linux slowly but surely - apart from a few issues with MusicIP. MusicIP basically runs and is linked with squeezeserver.

I am happy with basic stuff like terminal and vi file editing - as long as I know what to edit!

The problems are to do with saving the cache AND also starting MusicIP before Squeezeserver (or even starting it at all automatically)

Problem 1. Sharing the cache between my w64b machine (for analysis) and the Amahi headless MusicIP.
    The cache is located in the shared Music area on Amahi (\var\hda\files\Music\Musicip_data\datab.m3lib). The Music files are in \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze - all seen from windows machines as \\hda\Music\squeeze

a) If I refresh using the gui (\hda:10002)I have to put the music folder in as \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze. It finds the files correctly. If I now bring up the MusicIP on windows machine - it can see the cache - but says it cannot load it. Change all the permissions on the cache from linux and it then loads it. BUT - the file paths in the database all start \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze\..... etc so I cannot save any file changes - such as analysis. If I do save the cache from the windows machine - then the gui will show the 'reload cache' option - but will fail to actually load it. If you restart the MusicIP service it will fail to start - doesn't like the cache any more.

As I Import purely from MusicIP I suspect playlists in SC will be nonsence as the paths will start \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze - haven't tested this yet - just guessing.

b) If I refresh using the windows machine - then I cannot load the changed cache from the GUI - same issue as above really

I need to find a way of refreshing the cache and analysing/saving files that is consistent accross amahi and windows. I import sc playlists into other apps so need them to have correct unc paths to music files. I have tried permissions issues and owner etc on linux - but AFAIK that doesn't seem to be the reason the GUI won't load the windows saved cache.

Problem 2. Running MusicIP at boot
    I have created/moved mmserver file to /etc/int.d folder on Amahi. If I terminal in as root I can successfully start/stop musicip EG ./mmserver start. I cannot see what to do to make this run automatically on boot AND also ensure it starts before squeezeserver. It does not appear in the gui services list.

Any help would be appreciated. I am starting to wonder if going back to whs v1 might be less painful - really don't want to thoiugh!
    Regards

Coppo
    Last edited by coppo23; 2012-04-15 at 06:46. Reason: Have given up

I've recently done the same (moved from WinXP to Linux).

Quote Originally Posted by coppo23 View Post
    Problem 1. Sharing the cache between my w64b machine (for analysis) and the Amahi headless MusicIP.
    The cache is located in the shared Music area on Amahi (\var\hda\files\Music\Musicip_data\datab.m3lib). The Music files are in \var\hda\files\Music\squeeze - all seen from windows machines as \\hda\Music\squeeze
    Differences in versions? The latest version for Windows is slightly better than on Linux. Different versions use different cache files.

Quote Originally Posted by coppo23 View Post
    Problem 2. Running MusicIP at boot
    I have created/moved mmserver file to /etc/int.d folder on Amahi. If I terminal in as root I can successfully start/stop musicip EG ./mmserver start. I cannot see what to do to make this run automatically on boot AND also ensure it starts before squeezeserver. It does not appear in the gui services list.
    There is a way to tell squeeze to wait for mmserver. I can't remember how now though.
    Louis
    Last.fm

Yes both mmserver and squeezeboxserver startup scripts has to be in for example /etc/init.d .

But look into folders rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d ,rc4.d, rc5.d, rc6.d

They contain links with "funny names" to the actual scripts so each runlevel links to to the real script .

Like K30squeezeboxserver and K27mmserver note that K27 is is alphabetically before K30 hence mmserver starts before .

There are commands in most linux distros to set this priority in one go and create proper links with one command , but you can actually use "ln -s" and make the soft-links yourself just have a look in each runlevel and make a link for mmserver that goes before squeezeboxserver .

And don't forget the firewall port 10002 for MIP .

Edit:

for ubuntu/debian or similar, example "sudo update-rc.d mmserver defaults 19" you ofcourse change 19 to a number that suits your install.
    Under RHEL / CentOS you use command called ntsysv or chkconfig

Edit2: don't attempt to change other apps start order ,mmserver is manually installed by you/me but for example squeezeboxser is installed by a package and will do this during install and probably overwrite any manual change after upgrades .
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-04-20 at 08:37.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html