Miles Davis bug?? Wrongly sorting on last name...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jakobmagnusson
    • Dec 2009

Miles Davis bug?? Wrongly sorting on last name...

Hi,
    I have problem I hope you can help to solve…
    All albums/songs tagged as “Miles Davis” as artist is showing up under “D”.

Like this
    “David Palmer
    David Sanborn
    Miles Davis
    Dean Martin
    Deborah Harry”

Some facts:
    They first was tagged with Tagscanner 5.1
    TAG format varies “id3v1 id3v2” “ vorbis” “ id3v1 id3v2 ape” etc
    They are in different format mainly mp3 and FLAC
    Album artist TAG is empty in most of the files (Some are ”Miles Davis” some are other artists”
    I used Mp3tag v2.50 to add a “ARTISSORT” tag where I put “Miles Davis”
    I run the server on a Sheevaplug, the version when I connect thtough web interface is “Version: 7.6.0 - r31672”
    Operativsystem: Debian - SV - utf8
    Plattformsarkitektur: armv5tel-linux
    The remote device shows: “Version: 7.6.0 r9458”
    When looking at the TAGS with Mp3tag I cant find any information where “Davis” comes first…

As a curiosity: some of these files are synched with my IPOD/Rockbox player, there some of the albums show up under M, some under D (as above)

Weired.. Is it a Miles Davis bug
    I have not seen this for any other artist....

Thanks for any help on how to solve this...

Regards,
    Jakob Magnusson
  • Mnyb
    • Feb 2006

You definitely have some *sort tag set as "Davis, Miles" there are a lot of them "artistsort" "artist sort" "albumartistsort" "albumartist sort" composer sort.... etc

To make things easier don't mix tag types in the same file a flac file should not contain both id3v* and vorbis comments an mp3 should not have both id3v1 and id3v2 tags some goes for ape .
    This can be a problem for LMS if a file have ape,id3v1,id3v2 you never know which of them LMS is going to put in the dB especially if these contains conflicting info .

It can be on a compilation album too not necessary on one of his own albums .

To narrow down the problem point LMS to use only your Miles Davis folder as music library and scan that ? problem still there, now divide half of the albums in one folder and scan that, repeat this.
    If you have a large collection it takes a while to scan to find problem using a small subsett of folders is faster, then rescan the whole library once you narrowed down the problem.
    If you have more than one PC install LMS on that and use as an experiment platform for things like this.

Use" clear and rescan everything" btw if in any doubt ,it does not always pick up changes to files with "scan for new and changed" modification date or size must have changed otherwise LMS would not know that it has changed.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• jakobmagnusson
      • Dec 2009

Hi,
      Thanks for response, I've started continued investigation along your suggestions.

Some additional questions:
      How can I re-save the tag for suitable format per file type?
      And what is the preferred tag type? I only have FLAC and MP3 files.

Regards,
      Jakob

Comment

• jakobmagnusson
        • Dec 2009

Hi again,
        Strange, when i indicate only the Miles Davis directory to the server, nothing comes up in the player. Even though the search finds more than a hundred files...
        I've re-started the server, still the same...
        Regards,
        Jakob

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jakobmagnusson
          Hi again,
          Strange, when i indicate only the Miles Davis directory to the server, nothing comes up in the player. Even though the search finds more than a hundred files...
          I've re-started the server, still the same...
          Regards,
          Jakob
          Did you initiate a clear and rescan everything ?

For FLAC it is vorbiscomments ( or FLAC as mp3tag call them ) .

For mp3 it is id3v2.3 or id3v2.4 can't say I've only got like 2% mp3 files .

Before faffing with the tags backup your files we live in the Same part of the world....

Mp3tag ( the favoured app for this in win ) have settings for which tags to write to which files if this is done correctly, simply Mark a bunch of files and "cut" all tags and then "paste" them back should to this.

I use puddle tag on Linux and it has functions for removing tag types .

If you do not use sort tags at all Mark all files and use the extended tags menu in mp3tag and delete all *sort tags ?
          Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-04-14, 13:21. Reason: Ignore my spelling ,spell check on iPad is horrible
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• jakobmagnusson
            • Dec 2009

Hi,
            Yes a full clear and rescan targetting only the Miles Davis directory...
            It finds a few hundred files but nothing shows up in the server...
            Strange...
            /Jakob

Comment

Working...