Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Geofenced squeeze box issues, Proxied?

Hey Everyone,

I work for a broadcaster that has Geo Fenced Materal (Canada Only) due to Licenseing Restrictons that I'm tring to access from my squeeze box. I've also been getting complaints from users since we introduced the Geofence and expanded our service.

I've confirmed with the Turn In people that the links are correct and they work fine from my computer and on the tunein.com site. The Squeeze box and computer are going over the same internet connection.

My question is how does the squeeze box obtain the link and process the link. IE does the servers in the US verify the link before the sending it back to the player or does the squeeze box proxy everything via the Servers in the US.

is the any documentation on exactly how this process works?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpacker View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I work for a broadcaster that has Geo Fenced Materal (Canada Only) due to Licenseing Restrictons that I'm tring to access from my squeeze box. I've also been getting complaints from users since we introduced the Geofence and expanded our service.
    Sounds like you have actually restricted your service instead of expanded it. The best course of action is to remove all geo-fencing... but of course this is not possible so read below.

My question is how does the squeeze box obtain the link and process the link. IE does the servers in the US verify the link before the sending it back to the player or does the squeeze box proxy everything via the Servers in the US.
    Yes, for Canadian users, servers in the US first try to verify links and/or download playlist files before instructing a player to play something. You can bypass this by appending "#slim:noscan=1" to your stream URL(s). You will not be able to use playlists if you do this; you must link directly to the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Sounds like you have actually restricted your service instead of expanded it. The best course of action is to remove all geo-fencing... but of course this is not possible so read below.

Yes, for Canadian users, servers in the US first try to verify links and/or download playlist files before instructing a player to play something. You can bypass this by appending "#slim:noscan=1" to your stream URL(s). You will not be able to use playlists if you do this; you must link directly to the stream.
    Thanks Andy,

Yes removeing the Geofence for our music offering unfortuantly isn't an option thanks to copy rights issues, Same reason i can't use Hulu up here )

I can however add an exception for the servers in the US to verify the links as it then passes the links back and then the player hits it directly. Anyway I can get a list of the IP's for the Servers thats verify the links so can do some testing.

Thanks for the quick responce I sure appreciate it.

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpacker View Post
    I can however add an exception for the servers in the US to verify the links as it then passes the links back and then the player hits it directly. Anyway I can get a list of the IP's for the Servers thats verify the links so can do some testing.
    Unfortunately no, our servers run in Amazon EC2 and the external IPs can change without warning at any time.

Unfortunately no, our servers run in Amazon EC2 and the external IPs can change without warning at any time.
    Is it DNS Name Based then for the clients? Maybe i can add a rule that querys DNS on a set interval to make sure its current.

No, there's no way to find out the source IPs.

No, there's no way to find out the source IPs.
    Crappy,

I've been told i must use the pls as it talks to a provisioning server to find out which server to use. Can you think of any other way to do this?

Any chance you can join us for a conference call with our streming provider to try to hammer out a solution?

I can setup a conference bridge.

Maybe we should move this to private messages.

Thanks
    Mike