Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zonker92
    • May 2011

Originally posted by jt25741
    I have this DAC. The USB implementation on it is very poor. Avoid that. Optical only supports 24/96 max. So if you want to use anything higher that EDO is capable of, then you will need to use the Coax. I have streamed 24/192 to the DLIII without issues. Just make sure to keep the Upsampling setting to 192Khz....otherwise it will downsample 192 content to 96 ------ counterproductive
    Awesome; thanks! That's how I have it now (coax / 192), so I'll leave it alone. Any other tips for best performance? I want to try the newest Radiohead in 24 bits and I'm curious to learn whether I'll hear any difference from the regular FLAC version.
    Synology DS212J / ALAC Files > Squeezebox Touch > PS Audio Digital Link III > Adcom GFP565 > Adcom GFA 5800 > JBL 250Tis / Velodyne F1200

Comment

• jt25741
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Zonker92
      Awesome; thanks! That's how I have it now (coax / 192), so I'll leave it alone. Any other tips for best performance? I want to try the newest Radiohead in 24 bits and I'm curious to learn whether I'll hear any difference from the regular FLAC version.

I am not sure what else would be optimal. I have the largest buffer size configured that Triode provided, but I am unsure if it makes any difference (sounds good to me). I think the subjective merits of high bit rate content are largely the place of another forum/thread -- but I have been quite happy with some 24/176.4 and higher content through Triode's app. Infact, I upgraded from a SB3 to Touch just because of this app Thanks again Triode!
      Joggler O2/Squeezeplay OS w/EDO hack->Monoprice USB ->W4S DSDse -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio P-5 -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio W-5 -> Cardas Golden Reference Biwire-> Monitor Audio Gold 300 Mk5 /// Joggler O2/SqueezePlay OS w/EDO hack ->Topping D50 USB-> Pioneer SC-99 -> Infinity Primus 151

Comment

• Zonker92
        • May 2011

Cool; thanks. I'll wade through this thread and try to get up to speed. I appreciate it.
        Synology DS212J / ALAC Files > Squeezebox Touch > PS Audio Digital Link III > Adcom GFP565 > Adcom GFA 5800 > JBL 250Tis / Velodyne F1200

Comment

• OGS
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Turnandcough
          Sorry I just edited my post - I meant EDO + 7.8 As I mentioned earlier I finally got Touch firmware to catch up to server software.

I just tried a 24-192 file sent natively to the Touch and it worked. I then tried another from HD Tracks and it didn't. 24-192 PCM to Touch still not working at all. "Unsupported sample-rate" message.

I'm starting to wonder if it could be my DAC's input. I think I'll try replacing the hookup wire on the S/PDIF input with some shielded 75ohm minicoax
          I have LMS 7.8 (beta) and 7.8 firmware (beta) with EDO on my Touch. I can stream 24/192 (or 176.4) as PCM to Touch using coax to my amplifier. I had 7.7.2 firmware on Touch before I upgraded and could then only send FLAC (Native)for sample rates higher than 96kHz.
          If you can log in to your Touch, issuing this command:: cat /proc/asound/TXRX/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params while playing a track will show the sample rate of the S/PDIF output.
          Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - LMS 7.9 with BrutefirDRC - filter from Audiolense - microRendu in Squeezelite mode to Devialet 250 - rebuilt Monitor Audio MA201 (yes, the old ones)

Comment

• Turnandcough
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by OGS
            I have LMS 7.8 (beta) and 7.8 firmware (beta) with EDO on my Touch. I can stream 24/192 (or 176.4) as PCM to Touch using coax to my amplifier. I had 7.7.2 firmware on Touch before I upgraded and could then only send FLAC (Native)for sample rates higher than 96kHz.
            If you can log in to your Touch, issuing this command:: cat /proc/asound/TXRX/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params while playing a track will show the sample rate of the S/PDIF output.
            Thanks this could save me the trouble of re-wiring my DAC's input...but where do I type the command? I still can't understand why I was unable to get the Touch to decode the 24/192 HD Tracks file. Before the days of TT3.0 and EDO I remember being able to do this. I know digital inputs can be very sensitive to stuff like EMI/ESD/RFI and mine has been taken apart a number of times so it could be a factor...or not.

Edit: I got this info from the WinSCP console but I'm not sure how to interpret it. The Touch appears to be outputting in 24/96 and not 24/192.

24/192 file:
            access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
            format: S24_LE
            subformat: STD
            channels: 2
            rate: 96000 (96000/1)
            period_size: 1024
            buffer_size: 4096
            /root$ cat /proc/asound/TXRX/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

24/96 file:
            rate: 44100 (44100/1)
            Last edited by Turnandcough; 2012-08-02, 02:16.

Comment

• OGS
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Turnandcough
              24/192 file:
              Seems like your LMS is down sampling. Touch may be reporting 96kHz as max to LMS for some reason. Try reinstalling the kernel at Settings -> Advanced -> Digital Output -> Digital Output Kernel Update -> Update Now. Disconnect your DAC. You can issue the command for checking S/PDIF speed with no DAC connected after reboot.
              Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - LMS 7.9 with BrutefirDRC - filter from Audiolense - microRendu in Squeezelite mode to Devialet 250 - rebuilt Monitor Audio MA201 (yes, the old ones)

Comment

• Turnandcough
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by OGS
                Seems like your LMS is down sampling. Touch may be reporting 96kHz as max to LMS for some reason. Try reinstalling the kernel at Settings -> Advanced -> Digital Output -> Digital Output Kernel Update -> Update Now. Disconnect your DAC. You can issue the command for checking S/PDIF speed with no DAC connected after reboot.

Looks good.

It seems I forgot to update the kernel after I reinstalled EDO/TT3.0 the other day. It's unbelievably hot and humid in here with the puter running...my brain must have been melting.

Thanks again for the help.

rate: 192000 (192000/1)
                rate: 192000 (192000/1)

Comment

• Turnandcough
                  • Jan 2007

I've run into a new problem with 24/192 files. When doing the decoding on the server I'm only able to play one track from each album.
                  No matter which track I click it either skips to the next track or won't play at all. This does not occur when I allow the Touch to do the decoding.
                  I tried rescanning my music folder but it didn't help.

Comment

• SBGK
                    • Dec 2011

another tweak to get EDO sounding good

echo "1000 1024000 512 2048" > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

in the kernel section of the TT file

makes quite a difference over the default or TT setting
                    Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• snoozer
                      • Jul 2010

@Triode

Any chance of having the plugin for the new version of the Touch kernel 7.8 ?. It seems to me that if I install the plugin "after" upgrading Touch firmware to 7.8 ... the plugin will actually downgrade the kernel to 7.7. Am I right or am I right ?

best regards
                      Pepe

Comment

• soundcheck
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SBGK
                        another tweak to get EDO sounding good

echo "1000 1024000 512 2048" > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

in the kernel section of the TT file

makes quite a difference over the default or TT setting
                        I think this is the wrong place to post your stuff. You seem to hijack the next thread with it.

And would you please stop refering to TT. Your setup has nothing to do with my toolbox anymore.

EDO freely implemented 50% of my toolbox by now. The remainder you've changed that way that there's nothing left from the original.

Your settings apply to your way of setting things up and to your audio interface.

There is no TT default. My Toolbox comes as a package - as is. Stripping this or that out, changing priorities and other parameters, asf, asf, will work with your and perhaps similar setups best.

"Quite a difference" might be a confusing term to some and for sure belongs into the audiophile section.

You'll never learn. I'm really surprised that you're still around.
                        Last edited by soundcheck; 2012-08-06, 16:19.
                        ::: my blog: "The Audio Streaming Series & sKit - tuning kit - pCP " :::

Comment

• SBGK
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by soundcheck
                          I think this is the wrong place to post your stuff. You seem to hijack the next thread with it.

And would you please stop refering to TT. Your setup has nothing to do with my toolbox anymore.

EDO freely implemented 50% of my toolbox by now. The remainder you've changed that way that there's nothing left from the original.

Your settings apply to your way of setting things up and to your audio interface.

There is no TT default. My Toolbox comes as a package - as is. Stripping this or that out, changing priorities and other parameters, asf, asf, will work with your and perhaps similar setups best.

"Quite a difference" might be a confusing term to some and for sure belongs into the audiophile section.

Sorry you feel that way, old bean.

If TT3.0 was based on original work then you might have a case against EDO, otherwise it is just sad that you keep trying to say he borrowed things from TT3.0.
                          Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Triode
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by snoozer
                            @Triode

Any chance of having the plugin for the new version of the Touch kernel 7.8 ?. It seems to me that if I install the plugin "after" upgrading Touch firmware to 7.8 ... the plugin will actually downgrade the kernel to 7.7. Am I right or am I right ?

best regards
                            Pepe
                            The kernel does not have a version - its the squeezeplay file system which has a version. You should be able to install EDO with Touch firmware 7.8, in which case it will download the new kernel but leave the filesystem as 7.8. [this is what I run]

Comment

• snoozer
                              • Jul 2010

Thank you Triode, I am upgrading right away then .....

cheers,
                              Pepe

Comment

• Triode
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by soundcheck

+1 - please can we keep tweaks and suggestions of improved sound quality to the audiophile forum thread. This thread should be to discuss the functionality and support issues with EDO.

Comment

Working...